PIcture Not Quite As Clear Streaming vs DISH

I ran the test today on my Roku Streaming Stick+ and it says streaming at 43 mbps on WiFi.

On my Roku (Premiere+), it's on the same screen you're showing. It's the 2nd to last line (of 5-6 lines). I have a 2nd Roku that's a little bit older and I think I've seen the line on it as well, but maybe not. Maybe it only shows up on newer models. I don't connect to my 5G wireless either. I might try that and see what speed it reports then.

I asked @Gebo to check this but he hasn't checked back in that I know of. I don't think the Roku throttles the speed, it just pulls what it needs. Or maybe it isn't throttled as much as "capped". I may be wrong, but I'm not sure how much difference the human eye can see between a stream at 35 Mb/s vs 100 Mb/s. The codecs that Netflix, YTTV, etc use are really, really good (and efficient).
Hmmm ... interesting.
We have 5 and 1 built in Roku players, never saw connection speeds and honestly I think we have the newest one on our main TV which is a Roku 4k Ultra.
Re: another post in here, I do see the "Auto Detect" for TV screen resolution. Not a bad thing for him to check but our is correctly auto detected 4K

This is what we have and the screen shot in my other post is from =

My Roku Premiere (+ ??) is newer - I bought it after shuffling one of their "hockey puck" models down to our daughter (from our bedroom TV), moved the Streaming Stick from the living room TV to our bedroom, and bought the Premiere since it's 4K-capable (no 4K TV yet though). They sell so many different models, pucks vs sticks vs little boxes, the names mean nothing as to their release timeframe, capabilities, etc.

This article, https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/roku-adds-a-new-internet-speed-test-feature/, is from Dec 2018 and refers to the menu for speed.

This is from a Roku support article:
If your internet download speed is consistently greater than the values listed below, you should be able to reliably stream content with the specified resolution on your Roku device.
  • Standard definition, or SD: You may need 3Mbps or more
  • High definition, or HD: You may need 5Mbps or more
  • 4K Ultra HD, or 4K UHD: You may need up to 25Mbps
  • 8K Ultra HD, or 8K UHD: You may need up to 30Mbps or more
Based on what they say there, since I see 35+, I personally have no concerns with my connection plus, we don't even have a 4K TV.

I tried the same test again today and now it is 61 Mbps. It does seem to vary dependng upon what the other devices in the network are doing.

Reactions: JC1
My Roku Streaming Stick doesn't list the speed that it "tests". It's older than the Premiere but according to the article above, devices on Roku's v9+ OS should have it.

Correction/update - run the "Check connection" option in the network menu. The Streaming Stick is connected to our 5g wireless and tested at 51 Mb/s.

Interestingly, the Premiere+, model 3921RW, doesn't do 5g wireless. It tested at 41 Mb/s this time.

I tried the same test again today and now it is 61 Mbps. It does seem to vary dependng upon what the other devices in the network are doing.
You have plenty of speed, whatever your issue is, its not your player. It has to do with something in your TV settings or whatever, however your connected meaning cables ect. I suspect its your TV settings.

Reactions: JC1
I can't change my speed. It is 25 and I get 26. It's DSL. My son has the same DSL service and he can only get 20 but
his pic quality is noticeably better after I checked it out for myself.

It's not the speed. We live back in the sticks... LOL

My TV's are 4K.
That's like barely enough for streaming (25mbps).....Or- to put another way higher speed is better for the following reason-the issue being is that you are probably not always getting the speed you are paying for. The game is to pay for more than you need-say100mbps-then if it goes down to 75 or 50 it's still watchable.

If you don't have high speed available where you live-you just are going to get what you get. My son had SAT Internet-it was all over the place. Finally ended up with T-Mobiles new cell Internet service and so far it's faster and more consistent than SAT. But-he lives adjacent to a large City even though he is in a rural area.

Last edited:
I upgraded to gigabit internet from 70 and 200. I clearly can't use that kind of speed. But as mentioned above, there are times when speeds are bottlenecked for reasons beyond my control. The gigabit speeds absolutely result in a far better 4K picture. My guess is that the streaming devices have a very limited buffer, and when there is a brief slowdown, the fast data stream means the device does not revert to 240i resolution.

Yeah, Your speed is not stable and unless you can correct it I suspect you will always have issues. Your speed is plentiful but the wide variations say something else is going on.
I think you are using the "Wifi" for the heck of it, you can try plugging an Ethernet cable into it and your router.
I would also be interested if you have a laptop or computer that you can directly plug and Ethernet cable into your router and do a speed test.

and most of all. I would love to know what router you have or better yet, just order this router, if you don't see and night and day difference you can always return it at no cost to you. This will maybe solve any issues and at worst eliminate a possible cause.
Its a great device at any price but at this price, nothing comes close, we have 25 wi-fi devices (which includes 4 security cameras) in our house and one Ethernet home line as well as wife workstation VPN'd to a another location in the country. Handles everything perfectly.
Love it, We always get our full 200 Mbps speed that we pay for, from any device in our home that we care to measure.

^Ps its a Lenovo product if that matters to anyone, though it shouldn't.

Last edited:
I just dumped DISH and went with YouTube TV. All is well until my son comes over and says your video is awful. I told him we switched to YouTube TV.
He says he has YouTube TV and his reception/video is way better than ours.

Are there settings I need to change to improve my picture quality with YouTube TV? I only have 2 big screen Sony TV's 60"???

And I just purchased two of the new Roku Ultras
In a post months ago. I talked about the poor picture quality with Roku streaming Youtube TV.
I returned the unit and canceled the contract due to poor picture quality. Especially with motion. Tons of artifacts.

Also the user interface is more than a bit busy and unfriendly.

I got the ROKU to get local channels in the package. I am now thinking about getting a "smart" TV and go to
Consolidated Cable fibre optic HS internet to save bucks.
Comcast is killing me by dropping good channels and constantly hiking prices. I am now up to $250/Month feeding only one TV ( Triple play: HD TV, Internet, VOIP calling )

I am now thinking about getting a "smart" TV
Downsides to smart TVs are poor app support. The apps that are on the TV are developed by the TV maker's workers and they don't usually maintain support for very long whether that's in bug fixes or just adding features. Personally, I use streaming boxes on all of our TVs and when the time comes to buying a new TV one day, I'll give zero consideration to a TV's "smart" aspect.

Downsides to smart TVs are poor app support. The apps that are on the TV are developed by the TV maker's workers and they don't usually maintain support for very long whether that's in bug fixes or just adding features. Personally, I use streaming boxes on all of our TVs and when the time comes to buying a new TV one day, I'll give zero consideration to a TV's "smart" aspect.
Right on with this^^^. After a year or two you end up buying a Roku Express at $29.99 for your expensive 4K TV.

As I mentioned buy more speed than you need and you should never lack.

Yeah, I agree with you and CKN
We have 6 TVs in our house and 5 Roku players. One TV in our kitchen already has a built in Roku and was a nice space saver.

Never attempted to hook up any TV to our network for the built in streaming and the last TV wasnt cheap a couple years back. 65 inch Sony x900h if I had to guess. Last thing on earth I was going to do was hook it up to our network, knew that even before we bought it and got a new Roku 4k separate for it. NO way ever would I use Android on my TV. I buy the TV for the display, not whatever streaming chip gets thrown in.
Only time I hooked the Sony to the network was to check for firmware updates and then disconnect it.

Right on with this^^^. After a year or two you end up buying a Roku Express at $29.99 for your expensive 4K TV.
Or you buy a roku TV (TCL for example). There are several things that can affect picture/sound quality. First is the question of "what" the provider is doing with the signal - resolution, compression, etc. Many (most?) of the streaming services strip out dolby digital audio for instance. Another factor is the TV/streaming box connectivity. I have my main Roku TV connected via ethernet cable and can play 4K videos from YouTube with my meager ADSL connection. The other two TVs are roku sticks (one "old" and one "new") - I make sure both have line of sight proximity to a wireless node.

Thank you, HALL experience is a good teacher. so I guess I am toast. The Roku picture quality and GUI are not good enough. I would think the current TV hardware would be good enough to handle a few software updates from the streaming providers.
I am not happy with visible and nausea inducing motion artifacts that had been "engineered" out of TV digital engine a decade ago only to have them pop up again in these HDMI "dongles". I was hardwired on a LAN with a premium box and 250MBS. The Still images were excellent. Unease set in with any motion. Like Listening to a good Album recorded in analogue then later remastered onto CD and ruined.
I will chalk it up to Just poor compression algorithm or roku's digital engine - I don't know which. I cant recall what other premium services images look like on the Roku Box at this juncture.
I guess I am somewhat of a picture "snob" to some minor extent now that my ears are aging,
and I cant be an audiophile "snob" anymore :)

Thank you, HALL experience is a good teacher. so I guess I am toast. The Roku picture quality and GUI are not good enough. I would think the current TV hardware would be good enough to handle a few software updates from the streaming providers.
I am not happy with visible and nausea inducing motion artifacts that had been "engineered" out of TV digital engine a decade ago only to have them pop up again in these HDMI "dongles". I was hardwired on a LAN with a premium box and 250MBS. The Still images were excellent. Unease set in with any motion. Like Listening to a good Album recorded in analogue then later remastered onto CD and ruined.
I will chalk it up to Just poor compression algorithm or roku's digital engine - I don't know which. I cant recall what other premium services images look like on the Roku Box at this juncture.
I guess I am somewhat of a picture "snob" to some minor extent now that my ears are aging,
and I cant be an audiophile "snob" anymore :)
We are picture snobs too. Clearly there is some kind of issue going on as we never experienced issues with Roku.

We never watch YouTube so maybe its just YouTube and Roku. Im not sure if this is what you are comparing. ( I know your not the OP) I would think that is very possible being google maybe rather you use their own devices rather then the competition? Ill be honest I hate google so much and think they are way, way to large that I would never watch YouTube as regular programming so cant disagree with you issues between them and Roku.

Anyway our picture truly can't be much more perfect for streaming in as far as the limitations of streaming.
This we can and have compared against our 4K DVD player which is the ultimate source and at times and unless walking right up to the 65 inch display its almost impossible to tell the difference at times.

Back