PICS! Subaru 204K miles under valve covers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been thinking about using the Delvac 1300 super 15w40 out of our bulk tank at work in my Honda Ridgeline. If it will keep it that clean I might use it in my wifes Neon too.

Great pics, thanks. I am curious how long my 97' Legacy Wagon EJ22 will last since I often run 5w20 in it. The odometer now reads 145K. I love to push the envelope...

20.gif

Love subarus... and love them even more after seeing your pics!

Super clean and probably runs like a dream again now eh?
19.gif

That does look fantastic. All the more so given the age. Proof that persistence, consistency, and sensible maintenance pay off.

One question, meant in a totally neutral tone: does this engine call for an xw-40 oil per the manual?

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
That does look fantastic. All the more so given the age. Proof that persistence, consistency, and sensible maintenance pay off.

One question, meant in a totally neutral tone: does this engine call for an xw-40 oil per the manual?

5w30

Originally Posted By: Solo2driver
My Legacy will not die, but the intermittant CEL and recent engine stumbling finally forced me to work on it. I know the spark plug wires were original, and the plugs I had done about 20K miles ago. Decided to do the valve cover gaskets and tube seals at the same time, as it was cheap and pretty easy to do....and the spark plugs were soaked in oil, and the #4 plug wire came apart in a gooey oily mess.

Passenger bank-
DSCF1709.jpg

Driver bank-
DSCF1712.jpg

Has had a diet of HDEO 15w-40 and MaxLife 10w-40, a recent switch away from that may have contributed to some oil weeping here and there. Otherwise, I think the innards look pretty darn good.

Good lord that`s CLEAN!!!!!!!!
cheers3.gif

Very clean, looks like it only has 300 miles on it. Thanks for sharing.

Those Subie boxer engines are pretty stout. You have definitely taken good care of it.

Dave

Subaru specs 5w-30, but I've owned quite a few and in hot weather and the way I drive them, the manual allows for Xw-40. I use Rotella T6 5w-40 in my WRX which has the turbocharged engine.

Car purrs like a kitten now, very smooth. It's only been 10 miles but I like it more already :)

I had to pull the battery to do the driver's side bank, in about 50 miles or so the ECU will be back in the "ready" state so I can go get my annual TX vehicle inspection done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back