Pics of Motorcraft plugs w/ 149K miles, 11 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry about the quality but you can kind of see some of the images. My camera won't take the pics right. These came out of a 1998 Taurus. Wasn't running bad, but runs much better after new wires and autolite platinums.

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

Originally Posted By: SAJEFFC
Ok now that I've stared at those pics a while my head hurts!
crazy2.gif
LOL.gif

LOL.gif

I tried a ton of settings, none of them came out right. My biggest problem was the flash, it would make the pics look like nothing.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
crazy2.gif
LOL.gif

LOL.gif

I tried a ton of settings, none of them came out right. My biggest problem was the flash, it would make the pics look like nothing.
grin2.gif
Well they look like the correct nice tan color so engine's prolly healthy. I'd say you done good...time for a
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: panthermike
crazy2.gif
LOL.gif

LOL.gif

grin2.gif
Well they look like the correct nice tan color so engine's prolly healthy. I'd say you done good...time for a
cheers3.gif

I had one afterwards, it took me 2.5 hours to do. The back three wires are routed under and through a bunch of stuff that was fun. I fired it up the first time and it ran like [censored]!! Got the firing order online, I had the wires for cylinders 4 and 5 mixed up
55.gif

The last 2 photos show spark plugs that look really worn out, how often do these plugs need to be changed.

I hope I have some Excedrin upstairs. Keep taking pictures you will get some nice shots eventually.

Yes I'm glad the new stuff pretty much did away with plug wires...made the job much easier. I'll be changing them on my Mustang later this year and it look like a breeze. God bless COP ignition systems!

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

Did you see a bump in gas mileage with the new plugs ?

It's my brother's car, I haven't checked with him yet. I will soon though. I can tell you the car runs smoother.

Here is a little better pic of one:

0422091653.jpg

I CANNOT believe that gap... WOW, I'm so amazed the stock ignition could make that jump.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
your pics are blurry because you need more light on the plugs. shine a desk lamp at them at hold them a little further away from the camera.

Check out the last pic that I posted at the bottom of the first page. Unfortunatley I already threw them away.

Originally Posted By: Jonny Z
That's some gap
gap-teeth.jpg

LOL.gif

That was the first thing I noticed. It calls for .044 and the new ones were .044-.046, so I didn't mess with them.

They don't look all that bad to me. Then again, I've only done plugs on a couple 1994 and older beaters.

Since we're on the topic, when should OEM "100K mile" plugs be changed ideally? Are they really good for 100K? My 2001 Ranger had the original plugs at least until 93K miles and it still ran great, even after a Sea Foam treatment. My current one has the original plus too, but only 71K miles. They look pretty easy to reach though, so I've thought about changing them before the recommended 100K miles.

Originally Posted By: Jonny Z
That's some gap
gap-teeth.jpg

crackmeup2.gif
Now that's funny, I don't care who you are!!!!! Thanks Jonny.

As for the plugs, 149k, 11yrs, and it wasn't running that bad. Those things considered, doesn't look that bad.

New platinum plugs, new wires and run that baby.

nice gap. what is that like .244 ? lol. definitely time for a tune up.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
They don't look all that bad to me. Then again, I've only done plugs on a couple 1994 and older beaters.

Since we're on the topic, when should OEM "100K mile" plugs be changed ideally? Are they really good for 100K? My 2001 Ranger had the original plugs at least until 93K miles and it still ran great, even after a Sea Foam treatment. My current one has the original plus too, but only 71K miles. They look pretty easy to reach though, so I've thought about changing them before the recommended 100K miles.

One of the few things you can actually count on being right from the OEM the first go-round...

The car did run just fine surprisingly. Those OEM plugs must be pretty good. My dad also had a 97' F250 w/ the 5.4, sold it with 130K miles, original plugs. Truck ran just fine.

Same with my brother's 01' F150, He has had the truck since 92K miles. It has 181K now, he has no idea when the plugs have been changed? Still runs good though.

My MarkVIII has 86K now on the originals, but I'll change them soon, for the peace of mind.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

Since we're on the topic, when should OEM "100K mile" plugs be changed ideally? Are they really good for 100K? My 2001 Ranger had the original plugs at least until 93K miles and it still ran great, even after a Sea Foam treatment. My current one has the original plus too, but only 71K miles.

My belief is that go to about 3/4 of what the manufacturer says, so I'd probably put some new ones in about now. Unless you've got the funky plugs that Ford put in the 5.4 engines. They usually break, so get them out much sooner.
Back when I was turning wrenches, I saw a Windstar come in with a CEL on. The plugs had 254K miles on the original factory plugs. Funny thing, the CEL came on because of a vacuum leak, not because of bad plugs. We replaced them anyway. They had a gap about like what the original photos show on this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back