Pics of 1995 Chrysler 2.0L valvetrain at 219,000km

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car is a 1995 Dodge Stratus ES with the 2.0L SOHC engine. The oil in the pics is on its second run of Valvoline Maxlife 5w30. Previously before the last Maxlife run I had a brief OCI of Mobil 1 5w30 in there (traded from a friend).

6132_137551650658_690405658_3737657_3924464_n.jpg

6132_137551660658_690405658_3737658_3324744_n.jpg

6132_137551665658_690405658_3737659_3100021_n.jpg

Camera makes it yellower then it actually is. [censored] auto settings.

Too bad the only reason the valve cover is off, is because the water pump bearings wore out, and took the timing belt with it, even though the timing belt was done about 45,000 km ago.

Pullin the head off to check for valve damage, and hopefully it isn't too bad. Its a clean car.

I'm not sure the history of oil changes before 200,000km, as thats when I acquired it. Although it came with a bottle of GTX 5w30 in the trunk. But it looks [censored] clean so far.

Last edited:
Yes, looks very good. As the matter of fact, your whole engine compartment looks pretty good. I hope there wansn't any valve damage. Many Chrysler 4 cyl engines are non-interferance engines. I hope yours is one of them.

It is an interference engine so I hope you got lucky... My 95 SOHC Neon is rolling past 191,000km today and hopefully it looks as good inside as yours.
If you do have to get a new head do some research on which ones work with each year. The 95's are a bit different than the 96-99's. Neons.org is good for this.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Did the timing belt snap or something?

the water pump bearings wore out, and took the timing belt with it

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Those are good engines, sorry about your unfortunate luck.
frown.gif

Nice and clean!
thumbsup2.gif

Knowing you Stevie,you probably have one laying around some where...
grin2.gif

On that type of engine, usually theres bent valves when the belt goes. If you see a circular valve-sized mark on the pistons when you pull the head, its valve work time.

Make sure you check/replace the tensioner and tensioner pulley when you do the work, and dont cheap out on the belt. Ive found Goodyear Gatorback and Gates to be good ones.

yup. i'll find out tomorrow. I can get the premium gaskets and belts from rockauto for about the same then my local parts store wants for the normal ones.

UOA's came back good on this before, but I was just going through some consumption issues. It looks like the valve cover gasket was gone and I had a little burnoff in the morning, stem seals seems to be the culprit there.

Fel-Pro's Cylinder head gasket set comes with everything, so it looks like my consoumption issues will be rectified. I want to try SSO in this thing if its repairable later.

I recently did a TB job on a Dodge 2.0 SOHC,I used the Gates TB kit from Rockauto and even with shipping I saved a little over $80 from what my local parts stores wanted for off brand parts.

TurboLuver:

How long did it take you approx to do the whole job? I'm now at the point where I got the intake off, and now it just looks like I have to remove the belts, crankshaft pulley, and timing cover, belt, and exhaust manifold.

Did you just change the timing belt or did you check for valve damage? The reason i'm wondering is that it seems like it might be a big job to get the exhaust manifold off, as its on the side by the firewall. I think its easier to just disconnected the bottom pipe and pull the head and manifold together, then I can remove the manifold from the head.

Nice looking engine, especially for the age. One question: what is the coloration on the bottom of the valve cover? Is that fried oil, or is it paint or some other coating applied during manufacturing?
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: mechjames
TurboLuver:

How long did it take you approx to do the whole job? I'm now at the point where I got the intake off, and now it just looks like I have to remove the belts, crankshaft pulley, and timing cover, belt, and exhaust manifold.

Did you just change the timing belt or did you check for valve damage? The reason i'm wondering is that it seems like it might be a big job to get the exhaust manifold off, as its on the side by the firewall. I think its easier to just disconnected the bottom pipe and pull the head and manifold together, then I can remove the manifold from the head.

It took a little over 5hrs to do and that included replacing the cam and crank seals and installing a new alternator, my TB was good so I didn't have to worry about valve damage. The hardest part was getting to the engine mount plate bolts, had to raise the engine quite a bit.

don't forget there is a revised chrysler head gasket for that model (multi layer steel). i don't know if felpro is up to date! mike

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Those are good engines, sorry about your unfortunate luck.
frown.gif

Nice and clean!
thumbsup2.gif

Knowing you Stevie,you probably have one laying around some where...
grin2.gif

Nope, 2.5's and 3.0's yes, but not this engine, only did a few of these over the years and pretty much only head gaskets/valve cover gaskets.

Like I said, they are good engines for the most part!
grin2.gif

At one point we had so many bad engines and spare engine parts at the side area of the house waiting for pickup that someone called the city on us and complained. They were behind a privacy fence and could only be seen if you were close to the house and not from across the street.
21.gif
([censored] neighbour we had that used to call the cops/city for everything)

It was a busy couple of months back then and we just hadn't gotten around to scheduling a pickup and so everything was stored neatly behind this fence.

I told my dad we should have put them on the front lawn to really P.O. the neighbour who called the city on us and to look like we were on Welfare but he didn't want to start a war!
LOL.gif

5332_139497495658_690405658_3776376_5239458_n.jpg

5332_139497515658_690405658_3776377_7237149_n.jpg

5332_139497535658_690405658_3776379_4701273_n.jpg

5332_139497540658_690405658_3776380_5428464_n.jpg

Well, definitely timing belt. It shredded the timing cover with it, and the water pump definitely seized up.

I'm hoping I don't find this when I pull the head tomorrow: (picture found on website, this isn't my piston)

144222_f520.jpg

Funny thing is, while pulling the crank damper off, I turned it over slowly, and it goes round and round and round. Doesn't hit valves. Same thing happens when I rotate the cam sprocket. So i'm definitely expecting valve / piston damage for sure. I gotta be sure though. This is one of those things where I gotta find the problem, and the source of it, and go through it thoroughly, just like House!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back