Pickups vs Sedans

Originally Posted by Skippy722
I but it's amazing to not have to work around it.

It really is I bet once a month I get "Mike are you around this weekend? Can I burrow you and the truck for a few hours"
Depending on who it is I will just throw them the keys.

I also get they're not practical everywhere. If I lived in a big city, I definitely wouldn't consider one.

I agree. If I live in the city there is no way I would have the truck I currently own.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by gregk24
I've always been a sedan guy. Not interested in driving around a $60,000 gas hog with a pickup bed that I might use 0.5% of the time. No need.

Also a sedan guy here although I drive around in a 65k sedan, but after 12 years of deprecation, maybe only worth 8k now. I always preferred sedans because of better handling, more maneuverable, better gas mileage and shorter stopping distances.

I have always been a sedan guy too. Hence the Caprice and Malibu. The Caprice being my daily driver and the Malibu is the wife's. I have just had the Trans Am 20 years and it still makes me smile, but as much as I use the truck if I had to choose between the Truck and the Caprice or Trans Am, the truck is staying because we the love the trailer the most.

My Truck was 36,500 dollars with 27,000 miles on it. In fact the Caprice, Malibu and Truck were 81,500 dollars together. I don't think I could ever bring myself to spending 65,000 on one vehicle. I have toyed with it, but I like to have different "tools" for different things.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel way more calm and relaxed driving my truck than I did in my 300.

Maybe it's just whatever you're used to. Whenever I drive a truck or SUV, I always feel like I'm driving a barn around.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Originally Posted by cb_13
My current truck has the 6.5 foot bed and is an extended cab. If I was buying today it would be four full doors and either 6.5 or 5.5. I have a 5x8 trailer for yard equipment and a 16 foot trailer for vehicles and farm equipment. I really could get by with a full size suv I'd just have to use the small trailer more often.

My brother bought this new late summer last year. V8, 6.5' bed, tow mirrors, built in brake controller..

[Linked Image]

That's beautiful! A bright red F-150 is definitely my favorite! Very sporty! What does Ford call that shade of red?
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Maybe it's just me, but I feel way more calm and relaxed driving my truck than I did in my 300.

Maybe it's just whatever you're used to. Whenever I drive a truck or SUV, I always feel like I'm driving a barn around.

The newer the truck the better. My 2017 is a Cadillac compared to my old 02.

I've always been a sedan guy. Not interested in driving around a $60,000 gas hog with a pickup bed that I might use 0.5% of the time. No need.

Man what a worthless comment. How many $60000 trucks are bought? Mine for sure was no where near $60000. It cost about the same as a base GT Mustang or Honda Accord. It's a mid trim level.

My Genesis has all the power I need and is very comfortable, it's my commuter. My Jeep is the 4x4 that I take out to the desert and use to pull my trailer, which is actually a truck-bed-trailer. My brother borrowed my trailer yesterday to haul 1,700 pounds of scrap metal to the scrap yard. Works great and hauls my ATV as needed.

My Jeep isn't going anywhere, but I guess if I didn't have it, I could consolidate everything into a 4x4 truck.

Or get a tow hitch for the Genesis
laugh.gif
...but not realistic.

Originally Posted by dave1251

Man what a worthless comment. How many $60000 trucks are bought? Mine for sure was no where near $60000. It cost about the same as a base GT Mustang or Honda Accord. It's a mid trim level.

Well just as there are base level cars, there are also base level trucks. But the bigger trucks/suvs loaded up can easily hit 60-100k.

My sedan is perfect. Easy to park, decent economy, 4.7 second 0-60, doesn't roll over or understeer when I hit the twisties. Paid cash, no debt.

Yes, I've needed to haul stuff. So I go rent something and get the job done, and take the money I save and invest it. The right tool for the right job includes not buying something that has way more capacity than one needs.

I like the European mindset. Give me a Fiat Panda and the occasional Unimog rental.

My trusty old Tundra is a tool that can be used for transportation.
If I lost it I would get another right away.
New trucks are pretty, but since all tools are hammers pretty new trucks are not good tools for me.

The cars are transportation and/or fun.

The truck is fun too. My neighbors love the Tundra as well.

Originally Posted by dave1251

Around here base and mid trims are the minority... everyone's got LT Trail Boss or higher Silverados and too many Sierra Denalis to count. Yes, it's Chevy land unfortunately.

In 7 years living in CO I needed truck once. Rented and that is it.
Other than that, all three cars have better mpg, more comfortable, MUCH better in snow and are safer.
Of some 3000+ houses in my neighborhood, I think 1 in 20 trucks are bing used for towing. I yet to see any being dirty.

I am neither a pickup nor a sedan person. I like hatchbacks or crossover, or whatever they decided to call it these days. Pickups are great for hauling stuff, and I have consider picking up a second handed cheaper pickup for that purpose, but frankly most of my trips consist of hauling my family and may be extended family around. A pick up seemed like a poor vehicle for that. I also the drivability of cars better.

What is selling these days? I find it hard to believe people are buying tons of $50K trunks. May be it's more like $30K trunks. I would be hesitate to haul lumber in $50K+ trunk.

Paul

Originally Posted by Nick1994
My Genesis has all the power I need and is very comfortable, it's my commuter. My Jeep is the 4x4 that I take out to the desert and use to pull my trailer, which is actually a truck-bed-trailer. My brother borrowed my trailer yesterday to haul 1,700 pounds of scrap metal to the scrap yard. Works great and hauls my ATV as needed.

My Jeep isn't going anywhere, but I guess if I didn't have it, I could consolidate everything into a 4x4 truck.

Or get a tow hitch for the Genesis
laugh.gif
...but not realistic.

I present the Day-tow-na

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Amkeer
I love my trucks and my sedans. The tough part is figuring out which one to take out.

First world problems.

Hate to say it, but I'm currently in the market for a truck as well.
Doing some restorative work on the BMW. Rented a garage to do the work, but hauling air compressors and cherry pickers is far easier with a small truck than trying to negotiate something into the Lexus. Been pricing out small trucks like Rangers and Mazda B series. Mostly considering only ones with extended cab.

Originally Posted by Amkeer
I love my trucks and my sedans. The tough part is figuring out which one to take out.

I try to flip-flop between them--what do I need to do? If I'm taking trash to the transfer station then it's the truck. If I'm driving someplace to get a bag of groceries or to go to work, or going into the city (although to be fair, my idea of a "city" is anyplace that has traffic lights) then I take the car.

Although today I'm itching to get out and I might just take my car. I haven't driven it in over a week and now it's starting to grow things on it--not moss, but rather bicycle parts--anything that looks like a workbench tends to accumulate junk around here if it sits too long.

I keep trying to think about what I'd replace my truck with. Minivan is the next best thing, and I'll probably do that, but I'll miss 4WD and the ground clearance. I don't use them that often, but like many things, when you need them nothing else will do.

I love my '19 New RAM but it's going away next week. Turning in my lease a couple months early and buying an Acura MDX with 22K on it. The RAM is awesome, but having a truck as a daily driver is freakin' stupid. Plus, the Hemi gets awful mileage.

I've got a couple 4 doors, and a truck. While the sedan and hatchback are far more economical, I find myself taking the truck way more often. It rides worse, gets worse economy, and harder to park, doesn't make sense I know. But it's got beefier tires that aren't as prone to get wheel damage if I hit a pothole, and there's tons on my backroad commute. That and I like sitting up higher. Also since it already has a few dents I don't mind parking it anywhere.

I like trucks - I get it. But to me they are so impractical as a daily commuter from a parking standpoint. I see the trucks always crammed into tiny spaces in parking decks. I'd rather have a cheap used full size pickup stashed in the driveway for weekend duty if you use often enough and a sedan or CUV for commuting to office job.

Back