Pickups vs Sedans

Originally Posted by mightymousetech
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Oh yeah, I'm sure current gas prices have nothing to do with it.
smile.gif

Exactly. And these same people will be crying when oil hits $100/bbl again.

Wash, rinse, repeat … driven a pickup since 1979 …

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
Depends what your needs are.. don't buy a pickup based on current cheaper fuel prices and especially the want to impress or fit in with the pickup crowd.

I find it more cost effective to rent a pickup from uhaul, depot or lowes for a few hours if I need access to one.

Indeed. Most people buy what they want.

I don't know what percentage of trucks are Pavement Queens, but I would say a lot. I don't think its really a wants vs needs issue. It's mostly wants. There is always a base case for work trucks but this is mostly beyond that.

All it really means is that fewer cars are being made with the shift of more SUV designs to crossovers which are just taller cars, that people prefer because cornering performance is very low on their list of needs.

So, it's all nonsense. Crossovers are cars, but the black and white categorization made to determine those stats is excluding them.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I don't know what percentage of trucks are Pavement Queens, but I would say a lot. I don't think its really a wants vs needs issue. It's mostly wants. There is always a base case for work trucks but this is mostly beyond that.

It's funny, someone will come along and say a truck is a pavement queen, then someone else will come along and belittle someone for equipping a truck to be better off-road capable.

It's all just people getting too far up in other peoples' business instead of appreciating the freedom to choose whatever you want without any care what someone else thinks about it, within the limit that your choice only reasonably impacts yourself in a direct way, not some abstract way that people dream up when they have too many #firstworldproblems.

Is it related to commercial sales already in place vs the intense drop in consumer auto buying in April. I am guessing rental fleets stopped all buying which drives numbers.

Originally Posted by MCompact
If you like trucks more power to you. Me, I'd take a Raptor or an SRT-10, but that's it.

+1

Not really a pickup guy. I worked on a farm during HS and for work drove a 2001 F350 dually with a flatbed, extended cab, and 7.3 diesel. Basically the king of the road at the time. Very cool truck, but it was a monster, especially since it had a 5th wheel trailer attached to it a lot of the time. I also drove F150s, a Chevy 1500 W/T, and a Dodge Ram 2500. I understand the necessity, but why someone would daily drive one with an empty bed around all the time makes no sense to me. I hate parking them, especially around where I live with the tight parking lots, not to mention visibility around the vehicle. A used beater truck as a second vehicle I could see, but my $600 detachable 5x8 trailer also carries everything a truck box can and loading it is even easier. I don't miss the days trying to load mowers in the back of a truck bed. The lighter trucks are also terrible to drive in the rain and snow.

Originally Posted by Dave9
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot

It's funny, someone will come along and say a truck is a pavement queen, then someone else will come along and belittle someone for equipping a truck to be better off-road capable.

It's all just people getting too far up in other peoples' business instead of appreciating the freedom to choose whatever you want without any care what someone else thinks about it, within the limit that your choice only reasonably impacts yourself in a direct way, not some abstract way that people dream up when they have too many #firstworldproblems.

I could care less about what people spend their money on, but probably half the truck owners I know constantly complain about how expensive gas is (or used to).

I and probably others got tired of needing to CRAWL into sedans the manufactures call "full size" I opted for a small to midsize SUV/COV that is easy in and out and I can see out of in traffic. Ed

Last edited:
It is normal human nature for people to judge others, based on what they think. Shoot, just read responses on this board for proof.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

I could care less about what people spend their money on, but probably half the truck owners I know constantly complain about how expensive gas is (or used to).

You might be telling the wrong people. I don't recall complaining about mine.

Originally Posted by cb_13
My current truck has the 6.5 foot bed and is an extended cab. If I was buying today it would be four full doors and either 6.5 or 5.5. I have a 5x8 trailer for yard equipment and a 16 foot trailer for vehicles and farm equipment. I really could get by with a full size suv I'd just have to use the small trailer more often.

My brother bought this new late summer last year. V8, 6.5' bed, tow mirrors, built in brake controller..

[Linked Image]

Ah BITOG. My favorite place on the internet.

This place is right everyone needs a car or sedan. They will do just fine towing the stuff I want towed.

Wait...what?

[Linked Image]

I'm just here for the people who know what I need. I need them to tell me why I don't need a truck.

I've always been a sedan guy. Not interested in driving around a $60,000 gas hog with a pickup bed that I might use 0.5% of the time. No need.

Right tool right job - hauling big stuff and people 1/2 ton truck

Hauling people and little or no stuff - midsized truck.

I like my trucks like I like my steak - next to my other truck / steak.
Sedans have little to no utility and get no better mileage than my midsize truck while providing only a fraction of the utility.
In a world where I never moved, towed, or hauled anything I suppose a sedan would be fine, but thats not my world.

UD

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ls1mike

This place is right everyone needs a car or sedan. They will do just fine towing the stuff I want towed.

Wait...what?

[Linked Image]

I'm just here for the people who know what I need. I need them to tell me why I don't need a truck.

. Nice Mike! Can't rent that rig at the Home Depot!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by gman2304
Originally Posted by ls1mike

Wait...what?

[Linked Image]

. Nice Mike! Can't rent that rig at the Home Depot!
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks and no you can't. If you don't have a truck you find ways around it. Having one has shown me it is more useful than all my other cars combined. When I redid the inside of my house it was great. I picked up 4 yards of dirt and yards of gravel with it so far this summer. Camping is down this year for obvious reasons, but I tow with it on average 5000 miles a year. We camp anywhere from 10 to 20 times a year all year long. That and the car trailer have been really good purchases. I have helped a bunch of people move and moved a few of my buddies cars.

In just the month I've had my truck, it has already proved itself to be infinitely more useful than the 300. As ls1mike said, you learn to work around not having one, but it's amazing to not have to work around it.

I also get they're not practical everywhere. If I lived in a big city, I definitely wouldn't consider one.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by gregk24
I've always been a sedan guy. Not interested in driving around a $60,000 gas hog with a pickup bed that I might use 0.5% of the time. No need.

Also a sedan guy here although I drive around in a 65k sedan, but after 12 years of deprecation, maybe only worth 8k now. I always preferred sedans because of better handling, more maneuverable, better gas mileage and shorter stopping distances.

Originally Posted by Eddie
I and probably others got tired of needing to CRAWL into sedans the manufactures call "full size" I opted for a small to midsize SUV/COV that is easy in and out and I can see out of in traffic. Ed

I drive mid sized sedans, no issues getting into and out of them although I suppose maybe for smaller sedans it might be an issue. One thing people don't mention is that with 50% of the population obese or worse, many don't fit in sedans. Maybe there's a correlation but of course it always seems that the thinner the woman, the bigger the SUV they drive. I'll give you that bit about seeing around traffic, but as a sedan driver, you just have to be more careful and never tailgate a truck when you can't see around/ahead of them. As a sedan driver, I always found it much easier to move in and out of traffic. switching lanes in a smaller sedan means you don't need as much room and better handling means you can do it quickly.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by gregk24

Also a sedan guy here although I drive around in a 65k sedan, but after 12 years of deprecation, maybe only worth 8k now. I always preferred sedans because of better handling, more maneuverable, better gas mileage and shorter stopping distances.

Originally Posted by Eddie

I drive mid sized sedans, no issues getting into and out of them although I suppose maybe for smaller sedans it might be an issue. One thing people don't mention is that with 50% of the population obese or worse, many don't fit in sedans. Maybe there's a correlation but of course it always seems that the thinner the woman, the bigger the SUV they drive. I'll give you that bit about seeing around traffic, but as a sedan driver, you just have to be more careful and never tailgate a truck when you can't see around/ahead of them. As a sedan driver, I always found it much easier to move in and out of traffic. switching lanes in a smaller sedan means you don't need as much room and better handling means you can do it quickly.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel way more calm and relaxed driving my truck than I did in my 300.

Back