Picked up Gen 2 Diamondback DB9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I picked up a DB9. Slightly skeptical as the early generations had some teething problems. Was originally looking for a 380 and the DB380 was on my short list.

I ended up finding both at a local shop and both models were on sale for $202. As small as the DB9 is I figured I'll give it a try. Only $200 out of the gun fund isn't a big deal if it ends up being unreliable.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
You just threw $200 into a fire place.

Diamondback is the worst new firearm in the entire gun market.

Reviews of the Gen 2 are positive overall. I'll give it a chance before I declare it fire wood.

Last edited:
These are self defense guns not range toys so I'd rather have something trusty. Would rather recommend a lcp or shield even better if you only go up just slightly in size

I've owned hundreds of guns, including several Diamondback. I've taken every one completely apart, down to the last pin/screw/spring, for analysis. They are fundamentally flawed in design before they even leave the factory. I stand by my comments. They are the worst guns on the market. Nothing comes close.

Good luck. Hope it works.

I wish you luck, but I would shoot the dickens out of it before I trust my life to it. Hopefully you have other more proven firearms to trust until you find this one passes muster or not.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
These are self defense guns not range toys so I'd rather have something trusty. Would rather recommend a lcp or shield even better if you only go up just slightly in size

It is only a BUG, I daily carry either a Glock 32 or a Walther PPS.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Fleetmon
Mine is an "E" and has been flawless. Like you, mine is a pocket back-up....typically accompanied by a PM45 or, if tighter jeans, PM9.

Mine is a YE serial also. I have yet to break it in yet. As of now mine is sitting in the safe with the lock mechanism wedged in the breach in effort to break in the extremely tight recoil spring.

I can tell already which ammo it will cycle based on how a round seats in the chamber of the barrel when it is removed from the gun. I have several different brands of 9mm and when seating a round in the chamber certain brands in which the bottom of the round is wider at the top of the case will stick. Others will move in and out freely and seat all the way down.

For instance I shoot a ton of NATO 124gr IMI (Israeli) rounds in my PPS and SR9C because they are very accurate and consistent loads, however they are not a long nose round like a blazer brass or UMC round and they stick in the barrel of the DB9, which will make them hard for the extractor to fully remove. The blazer brass and UMC rounds slide in and out with ease and seat well, as they are long and skinny bullets.

I believe this along with an extremely tight recoil spring is the reason this gun is finicky. I will test this theory when I go to shoot this weekend.

Took the db9 out this weekend and ran 150 rounds through it. 50 rounds of blazer brass 115gr and 100rds of NATO ZO1. Had two light primer strikes on blazer, but it fired them on the second strike, both within the first 50 rounds. The second 100rds of NATO ran flawlessly.

Recoil is stout shooting NATO rounds, but the gun weighs 12oz so that's expected. Accuracy is decent, but the trigger is not exactly great for tight groups. Certainly good enough for a pocket pistol However.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back