Picked up another Sienna (2017) with just 7k miles

I was at a local Toyota dealer getting an oil change and was looking through the showroom while I waited. I was approached by a salesman who asked what I was looking for. I mentioned that we might be in the market for a new Sienna at some point in the future. She said that a lease return (some sort of fleet use, it seems) always came in in July of every third year, and always in excellent shape with very low miles. A few weeks later, they called and let me know that it was in. We looked at it and purchased it immediately thereafter. It's a 2017 Sienna LE, and had just 7000 miles on it at the time of purchase, plus a record of an oil change/service. As promised, it was impeccable and nearly flawless - a few minor blemishes including a bit of scratching on the dashboard, but still essentially "like new" and a solid 9/10 in terms of condition. It still even smells new! We needed another car for a new driver, and figured that passing the '10 on down would be a good choice, rather than gambling with another used car. That Sienna has about 217,000 on it.

Our '17 LE is a mid-trim but feels rather upmarket in comparison to the '10 LE (which was the last year of its generation). The new one makes about 300 hp to the old one's 268 hp, but actually feels a bit slower (just power delivery characteristics); the new one has an "ECT POWER" setting which really wakes it up, but that's switched with the ignition. In terms of equipment, it has power doors (but a manual liftgate), cloth seats (and power driver seat), tri-zone automatic climate control, upgraded audio system (BT/XM/GPS link via phone/weather/apps/fuel economy info), backup cam, alloy wheels, auto-dimming mirror with compass/Homelink, all auto up/down windows, and a bit of ambient lighting. It's rated 19/27, and the old one was rated 17/23 (although highway MPG was often 25-26+ on the old van). Our five-speed automatic is now an eight-speed unit, and the 2GR-FE is now a 2GR-FKS.

The interior feels much more upmarket for being the same trim level, and I do like the car on the aggregate. Seats are more comfortable, the interior is more attractive, and it is far more feature-rich. It is comfortable and quiet, and has a pleasant ride. I have only two minor gripes: it does feel less quick than the old one (which itself was eager to accelerate), though the numbers don't really confirm this. And the instrument cluster is a bit harder to read (no center speedometer), plus its monochrome center display has little information and is not terribly intuitive to use (the DISP button toggles through screens rather than the arrow buttons on the steering wheel). All in all, though, we're very happy with the purchase. It will go on its first road trip in the next week, and I'm interested to see what sort of economy it can pull down (the screen suggests 30 mpg may be possible on the open road). It's also Certified (7 year/100k warranty) and has a bit of the factory warranty left. Additionally, this Sienna was made in the USA in Indiana.

IMG_1506 2.PNG
IMG_1507.PNG
IMG_1508.PNG
IMG_1509.PNG
IMG_1510 2.PNG
IMG_1511 2.PNG
IMG_1512 2.PNG

IMG_1506 2.PNG

Last edited:
So what does a '17 second rung up Sienna with 7k miles fetch from the dealer may I ask? AWD? Carfax?

Congrats. Some of the early 8AT's have updated software available. If it is available, the software makes a significant improvement in the driveability.

So what does a '17 second rung up Sienna with 7k miles fetch from the dealer may I ask? AWD? Carfax?

Sticker price of about $26k or so, plus a few grand for taxes/fees, etc. No AWD but a clean Carfax - one owner, an oil change, etc. Certified as well, which I forgot to mention (a 7 year/100k warranty, as I remember).

Nice vehicle. You should get may years with no problems out of it.

Your purchasing a used vehicle knowing that the oil has always been changed when it should have is the smart way to buy a used vehicle. That is what I did also.

I do not know about the interior lighting of a Sienna, but I bought a 2106 CR-V in February and was really disappointed with the interior lighting the first time I used it at night. I found a company called Precision LED that sells high output LED bulbs that fit in the original bulbs socket. They ain't cheap but WOW what a difference. I can now see and find anything in the vehicle at night. At least LED bulbs last a long time.

So it you are not happy with the amount of light inside the vehicle at night, you might look on there web-site and see how much they want for the interior light package (to replace all the interior bulbs with LEDs).

Wonder if it wasn't some sort of a corporate lease... aka the "company car" for an office location.... for picking up clients at the airport and taking them out to dinner. Less than 8,000 miles in 3 years would be about right.

Other than that, congratulations. I bought a 2017 lease turn-in, in May, and have yet to be disappointed with it.

Does it say it was a leased vehicle on the CarFax?

I've had dealership sales personnel say things like "was a corporate fleet vehicle" when in fact, that's just a fancy way of saying ex-rental.

It means nothing to me either way as I try to go by overall condition, how low the miles are and how good the deal is.

Does it say it was a leased vehicle on the CarFax?

I've had dealership sales personnel say things like "was a corporate fleet vehicle" when in fact, that's just a fancy way of saying ex-rental.

It means nothing to me either way as I try to go by overall condition, how low the miles are and how good the deal is.

It was leased by a government agency or some such thing, as I understand it. So not a rental, and the miles are super low. (But the '10 was an ex-rental, and that worked very well for us.)
At any rate, took it on a ~ 500-mile drive today and am super happy with it. 28ish mpg and very comfortable, quiet, and spacious. Good sound system and good AC too. Being Certified is nice peace of mind, to boot.

Reactions: JTK
Back