Picked up a Tahoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Time to get rid of the Toyota that I can't stand, If I was wealthy & deranged..... I would have it dropped on Toyota's headquarters from 30,000 feet.

I like you a little more everyday...L92 Camaro now this.
wink.gif

Seriously good looking Tahoe man. Should give you good service.

Originally Posted By: Tech819
Why did you hate the Toyota?

A lot of things, But the oil leak that should have been fixed under warranty is the worst insult. The dealer & Toyota Corporate blew me off several times, Then the dealer gives me a quote to fix the oil leak after the powertrain warranty is expired when it was in for one of their MANY recalls.

I have a different experience with Toyota than most I guess, If any GM vehicle that I bought brand new gave me as much grief.....I would be dragging their name through the mud too!

Last edited:
Nice Tahoe! They're good machines. A family member of mine has a 2005. Here's a picture after I waxed it.

j8i8om.jpg

Originally Posted By: cpayne5
That is a killer deal on a fine vehicle.

Your 100k maintenance list includes the fuel pump. Did they replace it because it failed or as preventative maintenance? The fuel pumps in this generation are notorious...

...He was getting some hard starts & the dealer diagnosed a failing fuel pump along with the other stuff...

Gotcha, thanks. I have an '05 Suburban with around the same mileage. That's why I ask.
smile.gif

I've been debating whether to install a new fuel pump in ours as preventative maintenance. We mainly use it for long trips and I don't want the pump to fail and leave us on the side of the interstate this summer. I did a fuel pump on a buddy's '03 Suburban a couple months ago. His died at 240k, so some do last.

Your 100k maintenance list includes the fuel pump. Did they replace it because it failed or as preventative maintenance? The fuel pumps in this generation are notorious...

...He was getting some hard starts & the dealer diagnosed a failing fuel pump along with the other stuff...

Gotcha, thanks. I have an '05 Suburban with around the same mileage. That's why I ask.
smile.gif

I've been debating whether to install a new fuel pump in ours as preventative maintenance. We mainly use it for long trips and I don't want the pump to fail and leave us on the side of the interstate this summer. I did a fuel pump on a buddy's '03 Suburban a couple months ago. His died at 240k, so some do last.

The '04 & up seem to go alot longer, I know of several '04 & up (pick-ups) that went past 250K with the original pump.....The '99-'02 trucks & '00-'02 SUV's are lucky to get 100K out of a pump.

Thanks for all the compliments guys!!!!!

It appears that the NP246 takes AutoTrak 2 fluid, So I'm going to leave the fresh fluid that the dealer installed 5,000 miles ago alone, And change it when I install a Pump Rub kit.

Rotated the tires this evening, All the front end parts had been greased except the Pitman & Idler arm, You would think with all the money the PO dropped at the dealer.....They could have dropped the front shield & skid plate & grease them.
The right lower control arm "Bump Stop" is tore up, I'll order that from the dealer unless someone recommends a better item.

Found the front diff vent hose disconnected.....Good thing the PO never forded any high water (I asked him).
Pulled both driveshafts & Checked all U-joint, The rear has replacement greasable Spicer U-joints installed that I greased, Front has the original non-greasable Spicers that feel fine & no (Rust Dust) around the seals.

Not sure which Bilsteins I want, Heavy Duty or 5100, The 5100's are only a little more. I have never had a 1500 truck/based SUV before, On my 2500's.....I never really noticed a difference between the 2 shocks. This is going to be my wife's daily driver so ride comfort matters & don't want to miss the mark on a $300 set of dampers.

Thanks for all the compliments guys!!!!!

It appears that the NP246 takes AutoTrak 2 fluid, So I'm going to leave the fresh fluid that the dealer installed 5,000 miles ago alone, And change it when I install a Pump Rub kit.

Rotated the tires this evening, All the front end parts had been greased except the Pitman & Idler arm, You would think with all the money the PO dropped at the dealer.....They could have dropped the front shield & skid plate & grease them.
The right lower control arm "Bump Stop" is tore up, I'll order that from the dealer unless someone recommends a better item.

Found the front diff vent hose disconnected.....Good thing the PO never forded any high water (I asked him).
Pulled both driveshafts & Checked all U-joint, The rear has replacement greasable Spicer U-joints installed that I greased, Front has the original non-greasable Spicers that feel fine & no (Rust Dust) around the seals.

Not sure which Bilsteins I want, Heavy Duty or 5100, The 5100's are only a little more. I have never had a 1500 truck/based SUV before, On my 2500's.....I never really noticed a difference between the 2 shocks. This is going to be my wife's daily driver so ride comfort matters & don't want to miss the mark on a $300 set of dampers.

The Bilsteins 4600s are what I would use. Just MHO.

The Blue/Yellow 4600's are the Bilstein heavy duty I was referring to, I have 4600's on my 2500HD & Camaro.

Instead of worrying about the 300 bucks go with Gabriel Ultras. Just fitted another set on a 3500 van and they remain an awesome shock, controls body motion well yet rides very nicely. About 20 bucks each for the front and 35 or so IIRC for the back.

Amazing value. These will go on our personal RAM soon too...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
The Blue/Yellow 4600's are the Bilstein heavy duty I was referring to, I have 4600's on my 2500HD & Camaro.

Instead of worrying about the 300 bucks go with Gabriel Ultras. Just fitted another set on a 3500 van and they remain an awesome shock, controls body motion well yet rides very nicely. About 20 bucks each for the front and 35 or so IIRC for the back.

Thanks for the input Steve! How many miles do have on a set?

While I was looking at the Gabriel Ultra's on Amazon, I ran across GM original equipment dampers......Many different options based on how the truck is equipped, Got the RPO codes off the truck......

Smooth Ride Package "Air Lift" ZW7 ACDelco 540-184 for the front. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C9...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Self Adjusting Manual Level Control G65 ACDelco 580-354 for the rear. https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-580-354-O...TH8QCWZWQEJCKC9

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Thanks for the input Steve! How many miles do have on a set?

While I was looking at the Gabriel Ultra's on Amazon, I ran across GM original equipment dampers......Many different options based on how the truck is equipped, Got the RPO codes off the truck......

Smooth Ride Package "Air Lift" ZW7 ACDelco 540-184 for the front. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C9...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Self Adjusting Manual Level Control G65 ACDelco 580-354 for the rear. https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-580-354-O...TH8QCWZWQEJCKC9

I have one 3500 van that has had them on it for about 3 years now, at least 50-75k miles. I also had them on my personal Silverado for a couple of years before I sold it. I just put a set on a 13 3500 van we own.

They have an amazingly nice ride and are not intimidated by a larger vehicle. Our vans weigh 9000 pounds every day all day and these shocks really tie down the body motion without a stiff ride..

Including my 01 Tahoe, in which the fuel pump went at 75k...

smile.gif

The '04 & up seem to go alot longer, I know of several '04 & up (pick-ups) that went past 250K with the original pump.....The '99-'02 trucks & '00-'02 SUV's are lucky to get 100K out of a pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.