Picked up a screw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why? Ive used many plugs at work in the fleet in emergencies and havent removed them and not once a problem they normaly wear the tires along with the plug, these are heavily loaded construction trucks.

I don't even ask the indy shop I use how they are fixing the flats/leakers I bring them....I see all kinds of commercial trucks, construction equipment, tractors, etc. getting their tires serviced there and figure that those people need those vehicles to work to make money and would be unlikely to use a place that doesn't get the job done. If I bring them a tire on a wheel when they aren't super busy (like in winter tire on/off weeks), they will have the patch/plug job done in half an hour.

Assuming I have to use them for that kind of job again, I will ask about what kind of repair they did just to satisfy my own curiosity. Just brought them a snow tire this past spring that needed to be topped off every week or so during the winter, I couldn't see anything wrong with it but they told me it had picked up a screw.

Originally Posted by Spector
given the location many chain tire shops (Goodyear, Firestone, Discount etc) would not plug or patch that, too close to the edge. Crazy but they fear the liability and want to sell a tire.

Last night went to a indy shop to get a tire patched for this reason. I had road hazard on it with Firestone but I knew they'd make me buy a new tire. What a waste of tires.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by Spector
given the location many chain tire shops (Goodyear, Firestone, Discount etc) would not plug or patch that, too close to the edge. Crazy but they fear the liability and want to sell a tire.

Doesn't surprise me. I'm keen on replacing these (they ride quite hard, thanks to being run flats) but I want to get their life out of them too, hence my decision to run them for the season.

Yeah … that's in a debatable location so your plan to replace soon is wise.
I carry plug kits and 12v compression … have plugged tires in the mud that held to wear out the set. That orange looking material seems to bond well … Key is to get a fresh kit often … plugs and adhesive do not store well and the T tools can be ruined in a single LT tire if it has lots of steel … Single edge razor blade a must.
Oh, recently I was changing oil on a Sunday and spot a nail in my one way rent car for Monday flight …
plugged that one

Wow, glad you spotted that! That could have been fun.

I'm looking forward to the new Michelins on this, just not to paying for them
lol.gif

Wow, glad you spotted that! That could have been fun.

I'm looking forward to the new Michelins on this, just not to paying for them
lol.gif

Good reminder ...
so just went to your hometown owned Farm & Ranch store to get fresh fiber and a tube of Slime brand glue

Something pieced my ram's right rear tire the other day. All of a sudden.. DING!! 26psig and dropping a pound every couple minutes. Luckily I made it home with 22psig still in there per the dash readout.

Funny thing with the big rubbery 17" stock sized tires, you don't really notice it by eye until it's scary low on tire pressure. They're well worn OEM Goodyear wranglers, but still have life left in them.

I couldn't find the leak with the wheel on the truck so I had to pull the wheel. Found the little puncture. Managed to plunge plug #1 too far into the tire and lost it in there. Second plug wouldn't quite hold after some set time and I couldn't get it out without shoving that one in the tire too and re-reeming the hole. Didn't wanna do that. Gave up and paid the tire shop down the road $20 to plug it.

You got luckier than me, OK. This tire was replaced this spring at a cost of $205 installed. (cheaper than I thought it was going to be) Obviously way to close to the sidewall for a repair but I tried.

WP_20181111_14_14_10_Pro (2).jpg

Roofing nail?

I didn't pull it out as I wanted the guy to see where it was located but more than likely it was?

They wanted to sell me 2 tires as to keep wear even they said but I opted for just one as the tires only have around 25,000 kms on them.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back