Picked up a Lawnboy Silver series 6.5HP 2 stroke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got tired of having engine trouble mowing my swale (a steep incline that starves engines of oil) So, I flew my Cessna Cardinal to Sarasota Florida and purchased a "craigslist" Lawnboy 6.5HP 2 stroke. (no oil starvation on hills)

Why did I not purchase one of these sooner? They are wonderfully light and I can manhandle that thing into the brush, over the junk in my yard and into very high grass without any trouble. This thing is perfect for my uses. I'm going to get another! It has gobs of power for such a light machine!

Sounds great too.

98QOu3x.jpg

You can't beat a Lawn-Boy.

What will REALLY impress you is when you buy a Gold Pro, with the aluminum deck (unless you really don't like aluminum decks). The steel decks feel positively flimsy compared with aluminum.

My current project is a 10523 which is a Gold series, with the aluminum deck. The engine runs strong, but I'm still tweaking the carburetor. I've got a 1987 8157, a 1996 10523, and a 1999 10330. The 8157 and 10523 both have F engines; the 10330 has a 4-stroke Tecumseh.

If you find your Duraforce to be surging (lean), you can easily fix that with a re-jet.

Very nice indeed.

Up until this spring I had five old Lawn Boy mowers. Picked them up used for dirt cheap because they weren't running. If they had spark and weren't seized, I knew I could get them running and did. The oldest was a 1964 with points ignition and was beige, not the usual LB green. The next oldest was a bit newer and was green as were the other three.

Since we're moving into a condo, we don't need mowers in town so I gave three away and kept two for out at the camp. One with points ignition and one 1974 self powered machine with electronic ignition. Actually, I have a riding mower at camp. I kept them more for appreciation of the best mower ever made and nostalgic reasons.

They are indeed marvels of reliability, simplicity, functionality, light weight and power.

Prior to going on my Lawn Boy quest, I had bought a brand new 1990 self propelled Echo mower with a powerful Suzuki two stroke engine. I'm guessing that it was a Suzuki engine from the design and appearance. There was actually no name stamped on it anywhere. All it said was "Made in Japan". Maybe Echo built it but I have doubts about that. Compared to the light and nimble Lawn Boys, that thing was a tank. It had to be twice the weight. Once I acquired the LB machines, the Echo never saw daylight again.

A word of advice.... Don't know what year your machine is but Lawn Boy's achilles heel
was their electronic ignition CDIs failing. If you lose spark, there's a very high chance that's the reason. You might want to scout out a source for CDIs. Not saying it will happen but the possibility is there.

Enjoy you mower.

By the way, is your plane all white? And what time did you fly in. I'm near the Bradenton - Sarasota airport and like to watch the air traffic coming and going. I might have seen you???

Originally Posted By: boraticus
A word of advice.... Don't know what year your machine is but Lawn Boy's achilles heel
was their electronic ignition CDIs failing. If you lose spark, there's a very high chance that's the reason. You might want to scout out a source for CDIs. Not saying it will happen but the possibility is there.

Back in the day, I had a LB with this same symptom (CDIs failing constantly). In the end, it turned out the start/stop switch was partially shorting out (no doubt due to vibration) and this was leading to early failures of the CDI unit. After replacing the switch, I never had another failure. Just another thing to check if you have constant CDI failures.

Those 2 cycle units run FOREVER...

I miss my Lawn Boys but I don't miss the two stroke oil smoke. I got over twenty years service out of my 1987 scamp.

then I bought a 1991 model and had to replace the electronic module several times.

decided that the golden era was over and bought a 4 stroke Deere push the next time. At one point, I was mowing three properties, so I went through a lot of mowers. now I just mow my own yard and my Deere is still going strong. but i am going to get a Toro 30 inch next year to cut down on the job length

Prior to going on my Lawn Boy quest, I had bought a brand new 1990 self propelled Echo mower with a powerful Suzuki two stroke engine. I'm guessing that it was a Suzuki engine from the design and appearance. There was actually no name stamped on it anywhere. All it said was "Made in Japan". Maybe Echo built it but I have doubts about that.

That WAS an Echo designed and built engine.

The reason for most Lawnboy CDI failures is because of improper spark testing procedure. On Lawnboys you MUST use a proper spark tester. When testing for spark, shorting the sparkplug wire to ground or disconnected can blow the CDI.

Originally Posted By: wag123

Prior to going on my Lawn Boy quest, I had bought a brand new 1990 self propelled Echo mower with a powerful Suzuki two stroke engine. I'm guessing that it was a Suzuki engine from the design and appearance. There was actually no name stamped on it anywhere. All it said was "Made in Japan". Maybe Echo built it but I have doubts about that.

I forgot to mention that the Echo engine was the ONLY thing manufactured by Echo on that lawn mower, the rest of the mower was manufactured by Jacobsen/Homelite.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Having your own airplane has to cut down on travel time to pick up CL finds

Hahahaha, $140 for the mower. $300 for gas! And an hour each way.

But, it really was a wonderful day to fly. I did use the trip efficiently and also visited a friend for lunch that day. Worked out very well.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Nice, I love the old LB's Did the guy meet you at the airport, or did you take a cab to his house?

The guy came out to the airport! Nice guy!

By the way, is your plane all white? And what time did you fly in. I'm near the Bradenton - Sarasota airport and like to watch the air traffic coming and going. I might have seen you???

No, my plane is white/blue/silver.

DSC01495_resize_1000.jpg

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

Back in the day, I had a LB with this same symptom (CDIs failing constantly). In the end, it turned out the start/stop switch was partially shorting out (no doubt due to vibration) and this was leading to early failures of the CDI unit. After replacing the switch, I never had another failure. Just another thing to check if you have constant CDI failures.

Those 2 cycle units run FOREVER...

Where is that start/stop switch?

And thanks for the advice on the CDI unit.

I forgot to mention that the Echo engine was the ONLY thing manufactured by Echo on that lawn mower, the rest of the mower was manufactured by Jacobsen/Homelite.

Well, thank you very much for that info.

I looked high and low for info on that engine. I found info and images of Suzuki two cycle engines that Toro used on their mowers and it seemed very similar hence my incorrect conclusion.
The Echo engine is a very good engine just the same. I also agree with the rest of the machine being built by Homelite. The aluminum deck is a dead give away. Overall it was a decent mower albeit too heavy.

Nice plane I flew a Cessna 150 & 152 a LONG time ago. I miss it. First wife thought i was going to kill myself and had me give it up. Would have been better to give her up, and cheaper
smirk.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Nice plane I flew a Cessna 150 & 152 a LONG time ago. I miss it. First wife thought i was going to kill myself and had me give it up. Would have been better to give her up, and cheaper
smirk.gif

Whimsey
That is a fact !!!

Nice looking plane. Looks like the one my great grandfather had back in the day.. My dad was able to track it on the web and see that is now up in Canada owned by a skydiving company.
Link

Nice LB too. Those seem to never come up on CL in my area.. very good find indeed. I have a few with the F series engine, but they have the aluminum decks.

Pulled apart the plastic (very cheezy carb/airbox setup) carb and rejetted. I drilled the main to a Number 68, it was very close to this already. But the drill did clean up the hole a bit, as it was kind of rough under the microscope.

I drilled the idle jet to a #78 drill size, it was an #80. This too had a roughly machined internal hole, weird....

Anyway, it runs and idles perfectly now, no more surging, no more "iffy" idle, just a strong 2 stroke sound. Man is that thing powerful. It never stalled, even in 2 foot high grass. I can't believe it.

I'm using VP Fuels C-9 (96 octane storage fuel) and 32 to 1 Mobil 1 MX2t. No smoke at all, no smell either. I am very pleased!!!

Cujet

How much more Mobil MX2t 2 cycle oil do you have stored away?

I used my last quart a loong time ago. Wish they still sold it.

Slick

I bought a 6.5 duraforce this year. Great power! Mows through anything with out bogging. It does sound cool! I did mix amsoil (100:1) cycle at 34:1 and it smokes a bit, so i think that is a bit much. What does everyone else use for your oil ratio with the modern synthetic 2 cycle oils? I'm afraid to go 100:1 in the lawnboy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back