Picked Up a BEAST

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've recently gotten into old Garden Tractors. Had a desire to do my first power upgrade. Thought about doing something silly and putting a big V4 Wisconsin engine in it. Some searches left me discouraged because rebuilt Wisconsin's are EXPENSIVE. I'm not spending $2500-$5000 for a "fun" project.

Then on Friday, this pulling tractor popped up in my FB newsfeed for sale. Price was right. I had to have it.

This is a 1965 Sears Suburban with a 40HP (70 ft-lbs torque) Wisconsin VE4 powerplant. Guy I bought it from races snowmobiles and has a barn pull of garden tractor pullers. This was just a fun project and he was ready to get rid of it. Engine has been completely gone through. He pulled the heads and cylinders still had cross hatch marks. He put new rings in it and did a valve job and bolted it back together, along with a NOS magneto. Nice!!! She ROARS. This thing is NASTY....twists the frame when you get into it.

1965 Sears Suburban Puller.jpg

Super freaking cool!

Post up a sound clip

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Twists the frame ? Might be a good idea to reinforce the frame ?

That was my second thought, too (after "freaking cool!!!!!). Is there any way to strategically weld a couple of square tube to the bottom of the frame?

Originally Posted by Phishin
I've recently gotten into old Garden Tractors. Had a desire to do my first power upgrade. Thought about doing something silly and putting a big V4 Wisconsin engine in it. Some searches left me discouraged because rebuilt Wisconsin's are EXPENSIVE. I'm not spending $2500-$5000 for a "fun" project.

Then on Friday, this pulling tractor popped up in my FB newsfeed for sale. Price was right. I had to have it.

This is a 1965 Sears Suburban with a 40HP (70 ft-lbs torque) Wisconsin VE4 powerplant. Guy I bought it from races snowmobiles and has a barn pull of garden tractor pullers. This was just a fun project and he was ready to get rid of it. Engine has been completely gone through. He pulled the heads and cylinders still had cross hatch marks. He put new rings in it and did a valve job and bolted it back together, along with a NOS magneto. Nice!!! She ROARS. This thing is NASTY....twists the frame when you get into it.

Oh my lord!
shocked2.gif

Beyond cool!
thumbsup2.gif

Next up.....................carb 350 SBC. Next up.............blower on a SBC. Next up...................2 SBC. You see where this going..............
grin.gif

So the engine is bolt to two piece of upside down channel that run transverse across the frame rails. Only one is side of the channel is welded down, and the other side is twisted up a 1/4 inch off the frame rails.
I just asked the previous owner about this....this is his way of creating "motor mounts" that would take help tame this monster.

Basically, the channel is upside down and when the engine revs, it twists the channel up on the unwelded side.....acting as a tamper.

So I guess when I engine rotates heavily to the right under throttle, it's NOT the frame that's twist, but the "spring" motor mount rails.

How do I post a video? Do I have to upload it to another host site?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Looks like you're ready for ESPN 8, THE OCHO! Garden tractor racing!

Except as this sits....it's incredibly slow. It's geared for pulling....so I need to change a few things if I'm gonna use it as road missile.

I believe I saw this for sale on Facebook on a Wheel Horse page.

Are you going to be taking it to any pulls?

When pulling you do not want a super rigid frame. That is how they snap due to the pressures found in pulling. Id the OP is not going to use it for it's built purpose, then reinforcing the frame would be a good idea.

the heat coming straight back off that V4 would be hurtful during an august mow....

and though I know absolutely nothing about tractors, that thing is just beautiful and I want one, with no idea what I'd do with it. Nice find.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
I believe I saw this for sale on Facebook on a Wheel Horse page.

Are you going to be taking it to any pulls?

I want to. I need to find some local garden tractor pull clubs. I'd like to go "try it out". But I'm so competitive....I'm a bit afraid to open that can of worms.

It may have been listed on a Wheel Horse page...but I didn't see it there. It was just listed on FB Marketplace. Do you know which Wheel Horse page it was on??

Originally Posted by Kruse
Those Wisconsin V4 engines are HEAVY!

They sure are....but Heavy Duty and nearly indestructible if taken care of.

Originally Posted by meep

that thing is just beautiful and I want one, with no idea what I'd do with it. Nice find.

Pretty much why I bought it.... and the price was right.

Last edited:
Either Wheel Horse junkies or banned Wheel Horse members something. Searching "Wheel Horse" should show you both.

I'm also a member of a vintage garden tractor/ classified page, but I'm guessing it was one of the first 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back