Picked up 2 more vintage Cub Cadets

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Dad had a 1972 Cub 129 that he used all year long between mowing the yard and plowing the driveway in the winter. He rebuilt the engine probably around 12 years ago. He had it until he bought his Kubota BX25 around 5 years ago. The guy he sold it to is still using it. Solid machines!

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted by JTK
Beautiful!!

Looks like someone really put some time and effort into that baby. The cutting deck looks new even.

What's you plan with these, some light use or just to putt around with?

That 1961 is MINT. I plan to keep her that way. Putt around the cul-de-sac and warm her up once a month. But really just admire it. The 70 has a few chips, marks, etc. But still really clean. That one has a really nice clean deck too. That will probably just sit as well. My 102 got cleaned up today. Not sure if I will use her "as is" or bring her back to new.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
You should bring them down to the Tractor Engine Show in Portland IN this August. One, it would be cool, and two, you'll probably get multiple offers for several times what you paid for them, if you're so inclined to sell.

Thanks for the idea. Maybe by August I'll want to sell.

I plan to take them to a show or two and see what that's all about.

Originally Posted by Phishin
...Putt around the cul-de-sac and warm her up once a month. But really just admire it. The 70 has a few chips, marks, etc. But still really clean. That one has a really nice clean deck too. That will probably just sit as well. My 102 got cleaned up today. Not sure if I will use her "as is" or bring her back to new.

Nice! That's what I'd do. Pretty much what I did with my 1979 Case 220 rider. I partially restored it, but it wasn't near as show quality as yours above.

It would be neat to know the original selling price of that machine. Most of them in the day weren't far off from the price of a new car.

Wow they both look great! The mowing deck on the 1961 original is in great shape and hard to find. Most of them rotted out years ago.
frown.gif

It actually snowed Saturday night on the way home. So Sunday, I cleaned them up before putting them back in the garage.

Couldn't believe I had 20 or so cars stop and talk to me about them in the 2 hours I had them outside.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I had them out yesterday for a cleaning and a spin. Picking up a set of heavy rear wheels for the Wheel Horse soon (wheel weights, plus the tires are filled with anti-freeze) along with a 42" snow blower for the front of it. This will be a decent dedicated snow removing machine.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I'm hoping to make a 7 hour trek here soon to pick up this beauty.... I think I'm developing a real problem

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Very nice! I have a late IH 782 that I am debating whether to cosmetically restore.

This was my first tractor resto project:
[Linked Image]

Agree that the current Cubs shouldn't be in the same discussion as the originals. I had bought the 782 used years ago, mid 90's, when we bought our first house. Bought a new Cub a few years later when we moved....guess which one is still around?

^^^^^^^^^^ Man!!! That thing is beautiful!! Nice work!!

Yeah, the old Cubs are AWESOME. A bit cumbersome to remove implements, compared to the Wheel Horses, but I'll gladly deal with that as a trade off for how they are engineered and built.

I like those red cubs....like the 782. Maybe one day I'll find one.

Originally Posted by JTK
I'd have to keep that MF in the family room!

But she is the working yard goat!

The OE exhausts for these are NLA so I fabbed a big tractor stack.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
The old Cubs have the starter/generators? I always thought those were clever.

Yeah. It is neat. Easy to rebuild too.

Found this Minneapolis Moline a few hours away.....

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Phishin
The old Cubs have the starter/generators? I always thought those were clever.

Yeah. It is neat. Easy to rebuild too.

Found this Minneapolis Moline a few hours away.....

[Linked Image]

That is a rare one...great!

That is a rare one...great!

He's asking a rare price for it too.....I gotta go take a better look. Those wagons bring big money. If it's as nice as he say it is....it's still hard to believe it's worth the $2500 he's asking for it.

asking doesn't mean getting....

True, but....

The hard part is driving a 10MPG truck 350 miles one way, hauling an enclosed trailer, and trying to bluff a guy standing in his own front yard......

When I buy oddball things like this, I try and get some agreement over the 'phone or email. Agree, showing up like that does show your hand a bit
smile.gif
That being said, that is a sweet and unique tractor...how badly do you want it? it is really cool..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back