Pick oil for next change - 08 Mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,
Going on a long trip soon, with my 2008 Mustang GT (Bullitt, 4.6 3v). Usually for this car I use Mobil 1 5w20. This isn't my daily, So I usually change the oil once a year (maybe 3k miles).

I will be doing roughly a 3,000 mile round trip soon, including some pretty hard high RPM driving at time, as well as highway running A/C in general heat. The car has 3.73 axle ratio, so highway engine RPM is a bit higher than normal with the 5-speed, approaching 3,000RPM on the highway.

My first thought is use my normal go to, M1 5w20, however I'm thinking what other oil may be a good choice to handle this rougher than normal trip. I was looking at Pennzoil Platinum Ultra thinking that may be a good choice also. After this trip I'd like to do a UOA and see what things look like (and I'm currently using M1 5w20 in my Jeep so I can test that separate).

Would PPU be a good choice for a run like this? I don't really want to spend the $$ on the more boutique stuff. Also, I do know the debate about 5w20 or 5w30 in these modular fords, but I've stuck with 5w20 thus far, and I'll be getting it tested after this to see how it holds up.

Thanks for any input.

Both M1 and PPU 5w20 are fine oils and will work well for you.
I would personally stick with the M1 to alleviate the possibility of oil usage due to a change of formula.

Very cool car. Also, if you don't mind me asking, how fast are you going to get up to 3,000 rpm? My cousin swapped 3.73s into his 09 GT/CS and he's turning 2300 or around there at 65-70

Originally Posted By: austinlunsford
Very cool car. Also, if you don't mind me asking, how fast are you going to get up to 3,000 rpm? My cousin swapped 3.73s into his 09 GT/CS and he's turning 2300 or around there at 65-70

Well, I may have been wrong about the engine RPM (just looked up a chart). It looks like with the 3.73 going 75 will yield around 2400-2500rpm. I'll edit the original post thanks for pointing that out. The GT/CS is sweet also, Always loved the 18inch chrome 5 spoke rims.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I think they are all good oils- top tier stuff.....
I'd worry more about using a good filter.

I was going to add this, but cant edit my original post for some reason. Typically I use the FL820s, but for this run I purchased the ford racing version, the M-6731-FL820 HD. Its quite a bit heavier, with supposed better flow and better filtering. Thought I'd give it a try.

Highway miles are easiest on oil. You didn't say how many miles are on your current fill, but if your entire trip plus what you have on already are less than 10k miles, then I would leave it in and change upon your return.

edit: since you use M1, no need to second guess or switch.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Highway miles are easiest on oil. You didn't say how many miles are on your current fill, but if your entire trip plus what you have on already are less than 10k miles, then I would leave it in and change upon your return.

I was planning on changing it before the trip. Right now the fill of M1 5w20 has maybe 1,000 miles on it. I changed it sometime around December last year. I was thinking just change it since once every 2 weeks or so in the winter I started the car and ran it about 20 miles (didnt really "winterize" it and was also afraid of ruining the tires leaving it sit). So there have been alot of cold starts and sitting in that time. I guess I could leave whats there now, I just figured since it was going to get a pretty hard run, that I might change it.

I use M1 0-20AFE at 10K OCIs in my Fords and others use M1 0-20 in their V8 Fords as well. With this oil I have made 15-17 trips to Florida and 1 trip to Maine.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 5W-30 sounds good to me, but you can keep the 5W-20 if you please. Pennzoil Platinum is great but I wouldn't switch oils before a long trip since sometimes switching oils will make an engine consume oil for a period of time.

Originally Posted By: Branson304
Mobil 1 5W-30 sounds good to me, but you can keep the 5W-20 if you please. Pennzoil Platinum is great but I wouldn't switch oils before a long trip since sometimes switching oils will make an engine consume oil for a period of time.

Some one else mentioned this changing oil issue as well, Never thought of that.

The thing that worries me about the 5w30 is supposedly the Variable valve timing is somehow oil actuated, and that 5w20 is needed for proper operation. As I understand it, the previous 4.6 2V motors didn't have this feature, and the recommendation for them was 5w30. I'm thinking 5w30 wouldn't actually cause an issue though...

With only 1K miles on the oil, I would no hesitate to go on your trip with the current fill. If it makes you sleep better at night do an OC prior to your trip with what your currently running M1 5W20.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog
With only 1K miles on the oil, I would no hesitate to go on your trip with the current fill. If it makes you sleep better at night do an OC prior to your trip with what your currently running M1 5W20.

I might still change it (for the warm fuzzies) , but it sounds like everyone's vote is still the Mobil 1. Which is nice since I picked up a couple gallons during the rebate.

I'd leave the oil in there for the trip. With only 1k miles on it, and a 3k highway trip to go, there's no need to change it.

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
I'd leave the oil in there for the trip. With only 1k miles on it, and a 3k highway trip to go, there's no need to change it.

Sorry just to be clearer, the total trip is 3,000 miles, but maybe half of that will be some really nice twisty roads and a track event. While i wont be going 100% (or close to it) on the twistys, it will be some good se ond gear roads.

It sounds like the general consensus is to run my usual mobil 1 5w20.

Last edited:
I never get good mpg's on fresh oil. Maybe run it a bit before
smile.gif

If economy matters to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back