Pick oil for family members oil change.

I'm going to take advantage of a break in the rain tomorrow to service a Ford 5.4l truck with close to 200K on it.
the oils on hand are
1 Havoline 5w20
2 MAG1 syn blend 5w30
3 Napa blend 5w20 and 5w30
4 Chevron Supreme 5w20 and 5w30

Filter will be Fram PH2 regardless of oil used.
I'm asking strictly because I feel they are all good and wanted to hear the opinions of like minded people.

Write each one on a slip of paper, put them in a hat and pick one. In a couple of days each one will get recommendations.

I'd go with the Chevron Supreme 5w30.

There is a Rose's in your area that actually carres the Chevron Supreme... Right off Rte 1 and 301 in the Petersburg area.

I'd go with the Chevron Supreme 5w30.

There is a Rose's in your area that actually carres the Chevron Supreme... Right off Rte 1 and 301 in the Petersburg area.
I buy it from Holtzman oil. They are a distributor and sell at wholesale. They are having a summer sale right now, cases of 12 Supreme in 5w20,5w30,10w30 and 10w40 for $24.90 a case.

I like the idea of using the older oil, although I think you should let the vehicle owner pick the oil. If the engine kicks the bucket next week, less blame to you. (not that you should accept any blame for helping out friends & family with maintenance)

Went with the Havoline 5w20 and Fram PH2. It should be fine for 5k. I just picked one but wanted to hear every ones choices.

I'm going to take advantage of a break in the rain tomorrow to service a Ford 5.4l truck with close to 200K on it.
the oils on hand are
1 Havoline 5w20
2 MAG1 syn blend 5w30
3 Napa blend 5w20 and 5w30
4 Chevron Supreme 5w20 and 5w30

Filter will be Fram PH2 regardless of oil used.
I'm asking strictly because I feel they are all good and wanted to hear the opinions of like minded people.

Ive owned a fair number of 4.6 and 5.4 engines through the years and I don't think they really care. As long as it's changed regularly to protect the phasers (3V) and timing chains.

I wouldn't be surprised if they all come out of the sump as a 20 grade anyway.

Ask the owner if they prefer 20 grade or 30 Grade and use the NAPA Blend. No reason other than that's the mood I'm in today.

Does it use any oil? Are you going to supply add oil? If not something easily available like Havoline might be preferable (some people have a phobia about mixing).

Last edited:
I buy it from Holtzman oil. They are a distributor and sell at wholesale. They are having a summer sale right now, cases of 12 Supreme in 5w20,5w30,10w30 and 10w40 for $24.90 a case.

Where's the Holtman oil supplier located at ??

That is a good deal you have there.

Back