Pick my next OC out of my stash

Wife's Vehicle: 2010 Toyota Corolla 1.8
Current mileage: 99k
current fill: TGMO 0w20
no leaks no burning.
motor specs 0w20/5w20 so thats what I'm gonna go with

I change oil once a year or 10k whichever comes first. Not interested in extended drains on this vehicle

TGMO isn't an option since we moved...nowhere close to a dealer. Plus, my garage is smaller at this house so I'm gonna go into my stash.

0w20s on my shelf

Castrol Edge black bottle 0w20
Rotella Gas Truck 0w20
Penzoil Platinum 0w20
Amsoil Signature 0w20
Valvoline Synpower Maxlife 0w20

5w20s on my shelf
Amsoil OE 5w20
Castrol GTX High Mileage
Rotella Gas Truck 5w20
Havoline 5w20
Sinclair Synthetic Blend 5w20

yes, I know all would work perfectly in this motor. This is just a fun experiment to see what BITOG members would pick.

Easy answer. One quart of each until the sump is full. Start with whatever you have the most of. If you feel you have too much oil on the shelf, half the OCI so as to use up the oil faster.

This is just a fun experiment

Heck, yeah!

1599165596880.png

Wife's Vehicle: 2010 Toyota Corolla 1.8
Current mileage: 99k
current fill: TGMO 0w20
no leaks no burning.
motor specs 0w20/5w20 so thats what I'm gonna go with

I change oil once a year or 10k whichever comes first. Not interested in extended drains on this vehicle

TGMO isn't an option since we moved...nowhere close to a dealer. Plus, my garage is smaller at this house so I'm gonna go into my stash.

0w20s on my shelf

Castrol Edge black bottle 0w20
Rotella Gas Truck 0w20
Penzoil Platinum 0w20
Amsoil Signature 0w20
Valvoline Synpower Maxlife 0w20

5w20s on my shelf
Amsoil OE 5w20
Castrol GTX High Mileage
Rotella Gas Truck 5w20
Havoline 5w20
Sinclair Synthetic Blend 5w20

yes, I know all would work perfectly in this motor. This is just a fun experiment to see what BITOG members would pick.

My top 3 picks:
  1. Amsoil Signature 0w20
  2. Rotella Gas Truck 0w20
  3. Castrol Edge black bottle 0w20
You have so many good choices there 😁

I'll go with the one quart of each poured alternately starting with the left hand then the right hand. I doubt no matter which oil you chose there will be little if any difference

+1. Use up the oldest first.

To the OP, Where are you located? You are doing once a year oil changes so a 0w-20 would be better if you are in a really cold climate, but the 5w-20 will still flow well even in the cold weather.

great observation about the oldest first. Most of my oils are within a year or 2 of each other. I have a tundra, my 16 year old son has a tundra, and my 18 year old daughter has an explorer so I use a ton of 0w20/5w20 and go through a stash so quick it never goes old on the shelf. I just wanted to see what everyone else was going to pick for fun.

Im in Arkansas so nothing ridiculous as far as winter. (I used to live in Fairbanks Alaska so no more cold winters for me. Lol)

Last edited:
What oil has been sitting on the shelf for the longest period of time? I would use that one.

i had a 2004 toyota corolla le purchased in 2006 at 24k mi in oregon from hertz upon returning from korea. drove it crosscountry for a month long sightseeing trip. kept it until 2018 at 103k mi, when no more room for it. oci was any conventional 10w30 at 3k mi for 2 years then mobil 1 10w30 annually. except for a set of tires never had any big expenses with it. i honestly think that canola oil would have worked in it. all that said, when did the 1.8 go to 0/5w20? im hopelessly old school so a 20 weight oil worries me... even my 2014 yaris 1.5 is pegged for 30 weight oil. cheers.

Amsoil OE 5W-20

MaxLife 0W-20

I just picked what matched a 10,000 mi OCI in a Corolla for me. If you had said 6,000 mi or 15,000 mi my choices would have been entirely different.

Back