Pick an oil for a 2018 Mazda 3

Well I am finally out of free oil changes at the dealer. My car is at 36k miles and it is time for me to start doing my own oil changes.

I have been getting oil changed with Mazda Skyactiv oil for the past 36k miles free of charge.

The car is a 2018 mazda 3 touring with a 2.5 and automatic transmission. I do some spirited driving but mostly freeway. I was hoping you guys could help me decide on an oil. The current candidates are below:

Valvoline 0w20 synthetic With maxlife I have a couple 5 quart jugs sitting in my garage that I had bought when I got them on clearance about a year ago at walmart. Seems like a perfectly fine oil and I have no problems using a high mileage oil this early in life.

Castrol Edge 0w20 I have 3 5 quart bottles of this I bought with rebates some time in the past year and a half or so and have been using this in my brother's 2016 mazda 3. it seems to be perfectly fine.

Mazda Skyactiv 0w20 I can get this for about $28 for 5 quarts so not much more than normal synthetic cost. My mindset is this oil was designed specifically for this motor so it must be pretty awesome. This is currently produced by Idemitsu to the best of my knowledge and tends to get good marks here on BITOG

Use your old oil first then decide. It looks like you are set for 5 oil changes if each takes 5 quarts. $28 is a little high in my mind.

Castrol then Valvoline. Perhaps Valvoline then Castrol...

Both.JPG

Oh the heck with it... live on the Edge. Use it.

Living on the Edge.JPG

Just don't call me a pin-head because I nailed it. :cool:

Last edited:
Mazda's synthetic with moly is probably the best oil you can buy off the shelf (well, OTS at a Mazda dealer). I would use it for just about any car. Castrol Edge is the most popular bulk oil that Mazda service departments use so you'll be fine with that too.

Mazda dealer in P#&%;@, IL used Total bulk oil in 2018 the one and only time I took my 2018 CX-5 there. They over filled it. Five quarts won‘t get you to the full mark on the stick and they filled past it. The book recommends Castrol but I’ve used M1, Zepro, Citgo, now Schaeffer’s. I get the filter from the dealer.

Well I am finally out of free oil changes at the dealer. My car is at 36k miles and it is time for me to start doing my own oil changes.

I have been getting oil changed with Mazda Skyactiv oil for the past 36k miles free of charge.

The car is a 2018 mazda 3 touring with a 2.5 and automatic transmission. I do some spirited driving but mostly freeway. I was hoping you guys could help me decide on an oil. The current candidates are below:

Valvoline 0w20 synthetic With maxlife I have a couple 5 quart jugs sitting in my garage that I had bought when I got them on clearance about a year ago at walmart. Seems like a perfectly fine oil and I have no problems using a high mileage oil this early in life.

Castrol Edge 0w20 I have 3 5 quart bottles of this I bought with rebates some time in the past year and a half or so and have been using this in my brother's 2016 mazda 3. it seems to be perfectly fine.

Mazda Skyactiv 0w20 I can get this for about $28 for 5 quarts so not much more than normal synthetic cost. My mindset is this oil was designed specifically for this motor so it must be pretty awesome. This is currently produced by Idemitsu to the best of my knowledge and tends to get good marks here on BITOG
You need to have receipts or some sort of proof for warranty.
Perhaps taking pics of the odometer and your oil change with time stamps.
I use oil purchase receipts from the store, photocopied of course.

I am old school when it comes to choosing the viscosity of an oil. In my Mazda 3 2018 2.5 I have used only synthetic mainly because its just readily available and have used viscosity that I choose on the ambient temperature and how I will be running the engine. I also primarily use (*but not in the beginning)MAZDA branded oil filters but here again because I got a great deal on NOS of 24. Otherwise I would use *Fram, Mobil 1, Amzoil, K&N, maybe a few other's as well?
I change the oil @ between 3-5 miles, mostly closer to 3k miles. Oil and filters are the cheapest preventative insurance for a healthy engine.
My detailed record of MPG from day one and using other then the basic 0w/20 documented no subsequent changes neither positive or negative regarding the average MPG.
I originally got a base line oil analysis before the engine had many miles and several follow up oil analysis using Black Stone labs. So I do know exactly what is going on regarding my choices of oil and the effects it may have on internal long block reciprocating assemble and valve train.

Last edited:
I originally got a base line oil analysis before the engine had many miles and several follow up oil analysis using Black Stone labs. So I do know exactly what is going on regarding my choices of oil and the effects it may have on internal long block reciprocating assemble and valve train.
Not really but if it makes you feel better then perhaps that's all that matters.

Use your oil already on hand since that money is sunk. I would go through the Edge first then go through the Valvoline Maxlife, but both will be just fine. You can switch back and forth or mix them.

Once you're out of your own oil, you're free to use pretty much any full synthetic. I would come back then for a new recommendation on where to put your money.

I been running mine on M1 0W30 and I drive it like I stole it. Usually 7-8k between changes. It has about 80k Miles on it and never has burned a drop of oil between changes.

Back