Pic request: Your engine with the valve covers removed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any make & model. If you have pics, please post them here with the vehicles history, including oil & filter used, OCI, things like that. I just like looking at semi-naked engines.
wink.gif

Thanks in advance,
 -
wavinwayne

Silver parts are new...
'96 Impala SS 5.7 L 350 CID V8
First 42k. Various dinos at 3-4k intervals. AC PF52s mostly with a few others thrown in. Mobil 1 since, except during 2 Auto-Rx apps 4-7k intervals, based on OCL.
I drive it "like I stole it..."
 -

-

-

Aprox. 216,000 in picture. Two previous OCs with Delo and Chevron. Before that I don't know but when I bought it it was 2 quarts low and black.

-T

1989 BMW 325is, currenntly 209k miles, pic about 20k ago. CAr bought with 120k miles. Service records show some over extended oil changes by PO. Pic is after at least double ARX treatment. I did a third one too. Any how it is much cleaner now and getting cleaner everyday with continued LC usage. (I used only M1 and then RL for a while b4 the pics. Only now using dino with LC. ) Varnish and deposit are from PO. Pic is dark and makes look worse than it is though

Cyls 6-5-4:
 -

[ May 12, 2005, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: Jason Troxell ]

-

91 Dodge Dakota 2.5, 91k miles. Last 4000 took 2.5 years to rack up. Rotella 5w40 went from Fall 2003 to last month when I changed the head gasket. (I Caught it before it went catastrophically.) Oil not contaminated but the "curtain" was somewhat sludgy. Discovered a completely clogged breather sponge filter in the airbox which I remedied.

Stupid gasket was back-ordered and I already had the valve cover off. Two weeks in the elements (hood was closed, but humidity got in) left a bit of rust on the cam...
mad.gif

Now running supertech 15w40 I got on clearance with an ST8 filter. Truck has never run better.

-

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/moribundman/camshaft.jpg

This picture of the passenger side head was taken in the spring of 2003. I'll soon have a new picture for comparison. After using M1 5W-40 for 8k mile and on ARX treatment I expect a cleaner looking engine.
wink.gif

Car: '96 Audi A4
Motor: 2.8 liter V6, 12 valves
Mileage at that time: 122k miles
Oil: Castrol Syntec 5W-50 for the past 100k miles with a 10k mile OCI. OEM Audi and Mann oil filters.

I intend to post a 401K km VW diesel 1.6 next week while doing a timing belt. It's the same as Moribundmans but has a fourth cylinder and the oil is black.

Steve

pffft
rolleyes.gif
grin.gif
VW/Audi diesel parts are generally stronger versions of gas parts when physical differences are not required. This head is pretty much the same as a 1.6 except that the valve cover studs are in the cam caps.

Here's a VW 1.9 turbo diesel (IDI, not TDI) head I bought. It was on the road about a week before the car burned. The sad thing is that this was the 2nd head on the 2nd engine.

-

'95 Corolla, 1.8L (7A-FE) engine, taken at 205,000 miles when I changed the timing belt. This engine gets lots of highway miles, and has used primarily SuperTech oil and filters. It has never been flushed.

-

http://chat.carleton.ca/~srivett/IMG_0821.jpg

1992 VW 1.6l Golf Diesel. 405,000 km on Castrol and Kendall 15w40 until fall of 2004 at 377,000 km. I've been using Shell Rotella and Esso XD-3 0w40 since then. This picture was taken today during an abborted timing belt change. I decided I needed to buy some fasteners before destroying the old ones. No sludge or anything unusual was seen. My brothers 318,000 km 1989 VW Golf Diesel looked identical under the valve cover.

Steve

Salmon that valve train setup looks very much like the valve train on a 4.5L 1FZ-FE, even the tensioned split driven gear on the exhaust cam. Only notable difference is the belt vs chain, wonder if they were designed by the same person/group?

About 115K miles the first 106K or so on regally changed dino.

-

on mine where oil flowed the most it has ligt varnish, other areas that got no direct oil having considerable build up,

-

in the upper left you can see a clean spot left by a oil hole in the intake cam (drive for mechanical fuel pump on 3rd world cerebrated models) also a clean stripe at the chain, where the chain comes close at bottom of pic you can actually see the pattern of the chain. foreward of that there is little oil flow and lots of buildup,

135K now, first Arx cycle went in last week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back