Pic request: Your engine with the valve covers removed

Status
Not open for further replies.
 -

mitsubishi 2.0L 4g63T head. It was off for a headgasket replacement on my buddies car. He's running 9:1 forged, and had some issues with a cheaper gasket. Go go gadget Cometic.
wink.gif

That's got about 2500 miles on it since the rebuild, but AFAIK the head was not rebuilt.

http://chat.carleton.ca/~srivett/IMG_0827.jpg

1981 Suzuki GS1100EX with 85K km. Most likely run on 10w40 and 20w50 with twice a year oil changes. I'm now running 15w40 diesel oil.

I was in there today looking for cam wear and checking valve adjustment before doing some drag racing. As you can see all the cams look different but wear is not a problem at 5000 km intervals. It takes me about an hour to take it apart, check it, and reassemble it. The oilpan had some minor debris buildup but no sludge at all 2000 km ago. The oil pickup screen just completely full of 24 year old Suzukibond. This engine had a couple clutch problems but no oil problems.

http://chat.carleton.ca/~srivett/GS1100EXfilter.jpg
http://chat.carleton.ca/~srivett/hubdamage.jpg

Steve

-

Just brought home this cheapo saturn. My oil shrine might be worth what I paid for this heap.
grin.gif

Smokes like a chimney, am starting with the valve seals then I'll go from there.

eljefino,

Nice picture, in a morbid sort of way.
wink.gif
Any idea on the oil/filter/OCI's that were run on that engine?

On a positive note, at least it doesn't have sludge.
smile.gif
Make sure to post new pics when you get 'er cleaned up.

-

99 hyundai accent I just got to bring back an old thread.
grin.gif

120k miles, marginally maintained, rest unknown.

Car needed an alternator, was overcharging, boiled the battery dry, and set an airbag light. Dealer had to reset that light as it didn't self-extinguish after the repair and mortal universal scantools don't do hyundai airbags.
frown.gif

Also needed a valve cover gasket and front brake pads but came with four new 155/80/13 tires. Yay.
grin.gif

A yuppie bought it brand new for his brat to drive to school; kid graduated, got a honda, and this car was surplus to them so they didn't feel like fixing it.

wavinwayne, if you look closely at the bottom of the photo you'll see the number 4, which is to the left of the #4 spark plug! A slightly different angle on the picture would have shown the 4th cylinder of this 16 valve turbocharged engine.

I have a Saab!

Year old thread, I know. Vote for sticky!
smile.gif

96 cavalier, 191k miles, claims of rebuilt engine at 110k. Unknown history. Valve cover gasket leaked, requiring replacement and ogling.

96cavvalves.jpg

Thanks for that, eljefino! I drive a 2002 Cavalier w/same motor (92,000 miles), but it doesn't leak at all, so I have nor reason yet to remove the cover. Without an oil fill hole in the valvecover, there's no way to even get a glimpse of the shape of the valvetrain w/o removing the cover!

Quote:

Thanks for that, eljefino! I drive a 2002 Cavalier w/same motor (92,000 miles), but it doesn't leak at all, so I have nor reason yet to remove the cover. Without an oil fill hole in the valvecover, there's no way to even get a glimpse of the shape of the valvetrain w/o removing the cover!

Gotta love the "design" GM did of the sewing machines in our cavaliers. Mine's a '00 with 103,000 on it, but have to make an appointment yet for the vc gasket replacement ($ issues, of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back