Pic of my Firebird FORMULA

Last edited:
I had a '73 Fire Chicken with a fiberglass Formula hood. Factory deck lid spoiler.
'69 400 engine and turbo 400 transmission.
A truly great car... Wish I still had it.

Love it! Gorgeous car!

But, details, man, details! What engine? What transmission? IIRC, 1980-81 were rough years for Pontiac, with a 301 standard, and the turbo engine being top of the line. No more 400 Pontiac, or even the 403 Olds, right?

Looks great! How many miles on it? Really like the color and red trim. My friend had an 87 black Formula with the 305 and bright red interior that he was obsessive about.

Yes, this is the one during PONTIAC's(all vehicles) hard years. Currently with 46,000 original miles and I ordered this car.Yup, it's a 301cid w/3 spd automatic and 2.72:1 toruing gears. Had I known more at that time about the option list, I would have gotten a 3.07:1 or 3.42:1 LSD but the salesman was of little help at that time.

At one time, I hated the car for what it wasn't. Now I love it for what it is when Hun & I are cruising.

Love it! Gorgeous car!

But, details, man, details! What engine? What transmission? IIRC, 1980-81 were rough years for Pontiac, with a 301 standard, and the turbo engine being top of the line. No more 400 Pontiac, or even the 403 Olds, right?

You're right! No more 400 Pont/403 Olds
My '79 had the 400cid/220 hp but, it didn't have the options/looks that this one has.

Our neighbour bought a new esprit in 1980 or 81 it had a 301 four bbl as well, it was a nice car back then.
I remember him telling us all she would do was 115 mph, thought that was pretty good for a 301 also thought he was maybe telling a little white lie ??

Great looking car! Love it much more than today's Camaro for example. Cars like this had a style unto their own. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you all.
I'll try at some point to post more pics at some point but, my wife is better at this than I am.
We have many different angles of the car plus interior shots. Trust me, the car looks brand new with the Hobnail(velour) interior, gauge cluster and the prism(disco) dash. But, they'll have to come later.

The 301cid/4.9L engine has surprised many of my friends who have larger, more powerful engines in their TransAm/Z28, or other muscle or pony cars. NO it's not a powerhouse of an engine but it feels OK in the everydayness and does have it's sweet spot. And I've owned a brand new '79 FORMULA w/400cid/6.6L and I can attest that there are very some differences in it's feel. YES, the 400 was more powerful NO DOUBT but the 301 ain't bad for everydayness.

It starts perfectly every time without the...Waa-waa-waa-waa-waaaaaa-VEROOOOM(cloud of smoke) at each startup.

I still have the factory brakes on the car and all of the original suspension(except shocks & tires) parts. The only things I have changed are belts, hoses, tune-up parts. And of course, all(and I mean ALL) fluids on a regular basis.

I've taken apart the brakes, cleaned, lubes & bled the system several times over 40 yrs. But, the pads/shoes & parts are all still original.

Last edited:
Back