Pic of BMW "Lifetime" Diff fluid @33k vs. Virgin Redline 75w90

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another data point here.

Rear diff fluid that I drained out of my Subaru Impreza at 45k miles looked the same as fresh Mobil 1 gear oil I replaced it with. Clear golden color.

If the 330ci has a limited slip differential that uses clutch disks or cones, then it's likely to be carbon from those. Pretty typical color for oil in LS differentials after a little while.

quote:

Originally posted by vvk:
Another data point here.

Rear diff fluid that I drained out of my Subaru Impreza at 45k miles looked the same as fresh Mobil 1 gear oil I replaced it with. Clear golden color.

Hmm. I just drained my rear differential Saab 9-2x (an Impreza in better clothes!), and it was dark. Put Redline 75-90 in there. The manual transmission fluid was really dark...don't know the original colors of either of these. Oh, this was at 5100 miles.

The fluid in both axles (9.25 in and 11.5 in) of my truck looked like black snot at 15k miles. The Mobil 1 75W90 at 30k miles looked like dark olive oil.

quote:

Originally posted by PFP:
A lot of the original tranny and differential lubricants in European cars are UNDYED. You are compraing apples and oranges if you are not sure what colour the original fluid was pre-fill and you attempt to compare it to a (typically) dyed red North American product.

Exactly. Most people don't know this.

Interesting point in your first sentence PFP. I didn't know that about dyed vs. undyed fluids. It would be interesting to put the original fill next to the used fluid. However, I found this comparison interesting as well, and it was posted for interest's sake.

I think I know what you are getting at in your second sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back