Photo: Sept 15th 1911 - How did people cope with heat?

I get addicted to these old photos, and what always amazes me is how people can dress like in the photo below, and not die of heat stroke.

It does not matter if it is the middle of summer, they all dress like this. I would genuinly like to know how they can tolerate the heat. Not to mention how they could ever sleep in the city on the 2nd and 3rd floor with room temps in the low 100 degree range in the peak of July;s heat, and no wind to speak of.

1665670990946.jpg

*LOL*
Heat is heat, cold is cold, and todays snowflakes are snowflakes.
Back then you were happy to wear a suit, meant you had a job, could support a family and a roof over their heads.
No one else (other taxpayers) will support you and they didnt complain about every little thing that they could not control.
They enjoyed life and were proud of what they had while they were living.

Me too. I love the colorized versions too. The old photos of people on the beach are also interesting. How did they tolerate the heat with all that clothing on?

Just watch the news and you would know that it never used to get hot until climate change kicked in. There were no hurricanes either...

All kidding aside, those are cool pictures. I'm guessing people used to smell a lot worse than they do now.

*LOL*
Heat is heat, cold is cold, and todays snowflakes are snowflakes.
Back then you were happy to wear a suit, meant you had a job, could support a family and a roof over their heads.
No one else (other taxpayers) will support you and they didnt complain about every little thing that they could not control.
They enjoyed life and were proud of what they had while they were living.
People were tougher back then. Or more stoic. They just assumed life was tough and you had to be tougher.

From what I understand people slept on screened in porches back in the day before fans.

I get addicted to these old photos, and what always amazes me is how people can dress like in the photo below, and not die of heat stroke.

It does not matter if it is the middle of summer, they all dress like this. I would genuinly like to know how they can tolerate the heat. Not to mention how they could ever sleep in the city on the 2nd and 3rd floor with room temps in the low 100 degree range in the peak of July;s heat, and no wind to speak of.

View attachment 120874
You didn't tolerate it for as long.

We didn't live as long then as we do now.

I also suspect it wasn't as hot as not as much of our world was paved.

There are also photos from St Louis about that time where folks slept outside in the cooler night air because their brick homes got unbearably hot. So one way to deal with the heat was to go outside where there was a chance of a breeze, etc.

When I was a kid growing up in the 60's we had air conditioning in most houses. Some maybe only a window unit. Not many cars had AC and frankly, I never seemed to need it. We had "4-60" AC. 4 windows down and 60 MPH :) . I really did not see the need for AC in a car till my early 20's.

I guess I shouldn’t be so worried how well the yet tested geothermal HVAC will perform in my new home after seeing these pics.

Reactions: JC1
Back