Photo perspective of how large a C5 Galaxy is next to a C130 and a couple of fighters

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
The C5 is a massive aircraft. Of note was the upper deck passenger seats were facing backwards. I jumped out of most every aircraft the Army could JAAT with the Air Force, Marine Corps, and contractors- with the exception of the C5. The Air Force quit using the C5 for static line JAATs because of lots of injuries and related issues/concerns.

One of my memories of the C5s included the C5s ALWAYS broke after departing the Middle East and landing in Spain to refuel. ALWAYS. And the maintenance issues in Spain would delay the aircraft from arriving at Pope Air Force Base (now Pope Army Air Field) by one to two days. Poor pilots stuck in Spain. Yet never once do I recall the C5s getting stuck overnight for maintenance at Pope Air Force Base.......

295666021_480354867429041_8773342972801342027_n.jpg

Last edited:
Occasionally I'll see C5's flying into Dobbins/Lockheed Martin R AFB. The things are so large that they look like they're suspended in the sky.

The C5 is a massive aircraft. Of note was the upper deck passenger seats were facing backwards. I jumped out of most every aircraft the Army could JAAT with the Air Force, Marine Corps, and contractors- with the exception of the C5. The Air Force quit using the C5 for static line JAATs because of lots of injuries and related issues/concerns.

My greatest memories of the C5s included the C5s ALWAYS broke after departing the Middle East and landing in Spain to refuel. ALWAYS. And the maintenance issues in Spain would delay the aircraft from arriving at Pope Air Force Base (now Pope Army Air Field) by one to two days. Poor pilots stuck in Spain. Yet never once do I recall the C5s getting stuck overnight for maintenance at Pope Air Force Base.......

View attachment 109917

When I have a bus that's breaking down, you bet I coax it to where I can stop safely, and am in a comfortable place aswell... to wait for the tow or mechanics...

On my way home from work a C5 lands directly over the highway to Lackland AFB, most days directly over my car.

Quite the sight when I can time my drive home right.

I am not military but a friend of mine said it was called C5 galaxy but I can't validate that.

One of my memories of the C5s included the C5s ALWAYS broke after departing the Middle East and landing in Spain to refuel. ALWAYS. And the maintenance issues in Spain would delay the aircraft from arriving at Pope Air Force Base (now Pope Army Air Field) by one to two days. Poor pilots stuck in Spain. Yet never once do I recall the C5s getting stuck overnight for maintenance at Pope Air Force Base.......
Any chance the airport in Spain was near a beach? Or lots of scenery or pretty women in the area?

On my way home from work a C5 lands directly over the highway to Lackland AFB, most days directly over my car.

Quite the sight when I can time my drive home right.

I am not military but a friend of mine said it was called C5 galaxy but I can't validate that.
JH,

Makes total sense it is a C5 you are seeing.

C5s are stationed at Dover Air Force Base, Delaware; Travis AFB, California; Lackland AFB, Texas; and Westover Air Reserve Base, Massachusetts.

View attachment 109917
It was the same when I was a crew chief on KC-135's in 1970, refueling aircraft on the way to Viet Nam. We always broke down for 24 hours at Hickam AFB in Hawaii. Courtesy stop for the passengers and pilots of the other aircraft.

We have C-17 Globemasters flying over my kid's baseball games at the end of the runway. It's big for sure, but I think that relative size diagram is a little off with the C17 being a bit shorter compared to the C5 than shown. From certain angles and distances, the C17 looks like it shouldn't be flying as it looks so slow in the air.

Any chance the airport in Spain was near a beach? Or lots of scenery or pretty women in the area?
Back in the 90s when I was a civilian scientist contractor for the Navy, the system at the base in Rota needed our attention a couple of times, so we had to fly out there to fix it. Good memories!

The AF has been trying to get rid of the C5 for years. I once spoke with a C5 crew chief and he said the C5 broke something every time it landed.

I walked through one at an airshow. Although it seems rather big, it's still just an aircraft. In person I didn't really get a sense of the scale since it wasn't next to any other aircraft. It did seem big though.

Back