Photo of your parents on their daily walk to school

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
345245724_1675756802863161_8753838450702182101_n.jpg

I can recall walking to school when it was -40 in Saskatchewan and we loved it.
I went to school in Saskatchewan too. I walked just over a mile to school in Grade 1 by myself on a country road that was "snowed in" for about 3 months. Snowed in means no vehicles traveled on it - just snow, snow drifts and then again more snow. I walked every day, including those -40 days. Two older kids had a horse and sleigh but they wouldn't let little kids ride with them so they were long gone as I walked that mile.

My mother lived in very rural South Dakota. Their farm was three miles from town and one room school house. No buses. The school had a barn with stalls around back. She rode her Souix indian pony. I grew up in Chicago. Walked to school just like Ralphie, Randy, Flick and the gang.

South Dakota school bus circa 1928
pony.jpg
courtesy Gilorease Museum

I can recall walking to school when it was -40 in Saskatchewan and we loved it.
I also walked to school while living in Saskatchewan.
My most fondest memory was one day I decided to sport a new hairstyle in grade 8 - to impress a certain female.
I obviously couldn't wear a hat/touque (that would have ruined my hair), so I endured the chilly -50C windchill for the whole duration.
By the time I got to school my hair certainly didn't move (thanks to all the gel), but that stunt also earned me my first migrane headache.

...oh and that certain female didn't notice.

My mother lived in very rural South Dakota. Their farm was three miles from town and one room school house. No buses. The school had a barn with stalls around back. She rode her Souix indian pony. I grew up in Chicago. Walked to school just like Ralphie, Randy, Flick and the gang.

South Dakota school bus circa 1928
View attachment 156602
courtesy Gilorease Museum
I had almost exactly the same experience as your mother:
  • home was 3 1/2 miles from town
  • a one room school house just over a mile from home (Grades 1 - 8)
  • no buses (the roads were impassible in the winter anyway)
  • barn with stalls around back of the school
  • we had work horses until we moved to town in Grade 2/3, but I was still too small to ride them
I completed Grade 1 in that one room school as well as parts of Grade 2 and 3. Later in life I won a number of scholarships and have 3 degrees (one awarded with distinction, one with great distinction) as well as 2 professional designations (in engineering and medicine). Starting school there doesn't seem to have done me any harm.

I also walked to school while living in Saskatchewan.
My most fondest memory was one day I decided to sport a new hairstyle in grade 8 - to impress a certain female.
I obviously couldn't wear a hat/touque (that would have ruined my hair), so I endured the chilly -50C windchill for the whole duration.
By the time I got to school my hair certainly didn't move (thanks to all the gel), but that stunt also earned me my first migrane headache.

...oh and that certain female didn't notice.
I also walked to school every day when living in Saskatchewan (Grades 4 through 7).

This was in Regina, so I have no epic stories of snow-clogged country roads.

School was never cancelled due to cold, but we were kept inside for recess a few times.

I completed Grade 1 in that one room school as well as parts of Grade 2 and 3. Later in life I won a number of scholarships and have 3 degrees (one awarded with distinction, one with great distinction) as well as 2 professional designations (in engineering and medicine). Starting school there doesn't seem to have done me any harm.

I don't see why it would cause harm, if anything you learn to work independantly

Dad rode a horse to the one-room schoolhouse, where his aunt was the teacher.

I would say it is a safe bet that with his aunt as the teacher, that he got away with nothing... and the bar was set a little higher for him.

I don't see why it would cause harm, if anything you learn to work independently
One of the advantages of having 8 grades in the same room was you got to see what the higher grades were doing. It didn't look so hard.

I remember when I thought Grade 3 kids were really big.

One of the older kids taught me to tie my shoes (which I still do upside down).

In Grade 1 we actually had "departmental exams" (standardized exams across the province) and I remember sitting under a caragana bush on a warm spring day and having one of the older kids review my course work with me before those exams.

I live in central BC Canada.
Walked 1.8 kms every morning to the bus stop, uphill.
Which was good, because it meant that the 1.8 km walk home after school was downhill.
But I quit school 2 months into grade 9, at age 14, and got a full time job anyway.

I live in central BC Canada.
Walked 1.8 kms every morning to the bus stop, uphill.
Which was good, because it meant that the 1.8 km walk home after school was downhill.
But I quit school 2 months into grade 9, at age 14, and got a full time job anyway.
What town are you closest to? I lived in Kamloops for a few years.

What job did you take at 14, and did you stay in that field?

Back