Photo Mask Cover for Licence Plates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only do they not work, most if not all states have ticket level offense to cover a license plate, clear or not.

Rod

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
Not only do they not work, most if not all states have ticket level offense to cover a license plate, clear or not.

Rod

Yet every auto store sells those plastic domes to cover plates. Even in states where front and rear plates are necessary.

Do what the Russians do to avoid automatic detection.

maybach2.jpg

They probably have some warning on the package that they are for off-road use only or for show cars.

Just like many non-certified light kits that are sold.

For instance. I just looked on the Advance Auto Parts website and found one brand called Cruiser Accessories. If you look at the image, it says read the legal disclaimer on the back.

Well, I found their website and this is likely the disclaimer on the back of the card in the package:

Originally Posted By: Legal Disclaimer

Legal Disclaimer: Laws concerning this product vary from State/Province. Your State/Province may prohibit it's use on public roads or restrict its use to novelty plates, show car use or off-road areas only. In some States/Provinces, including without limitation California, off-road uses are also prohibited. The manufacturer and retailer assume no responsibility for any use or application of this product in violation of any applicable law. Before installing this product, please check your State/Provincial and Local/Municipal laws and regulations.

So maybe we need someone to get on this too, since we already have a faction who want to get the SA and SF oils out of stores.

Reading is fundamental...
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Rod

Yet every auto store sells those plastic domes to cover plates. Even in states where front and rear plates are necessary.

I love this review, emphasis mine:

Quote:

Absolutely the BEST protection against photo cameras. I have used sprays, and other types of covers in the past - all of them turned out to be failures. I am not sure if the cameras have gotten more advanced or if they added video capture now as well, but it seems that the only thing out there that is able to stop everything is the photomaskcover. I even bought one for each one of my daughters cars just to be on the safe side.

I'd give my kids the riot act and tell them if they get any ticket of any sort while they live in my house their car was getting sold for $1 and they had to watch the new buyer drive it away.

Thing is, if you bought/ installed one, would you really feel safer? What if you see a camera flash and then walk on eggshells for weeks wondering if you'll get a letter in the mail?

In states with red light cameras, aren't the tickets non enforceable anyway? I have a friend in socal who says he just ignores the tickets that come in the mail and that they never go on any record.

*edit - I remember his exact words that you simply don't open the letter they send and that later on you claim ignorance of having received it. Since they didn't send it to you as certified with signature proof then the state (or private entity) can't claim you got the ticket in time.

http://www.trashyourticket.com

http://www.laweekly.com/news/yes-you-can-still-ignore-that-red-light-camera-ticket-4376619

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Rod

I wouldn't count on LE giving someone a break because a retailer sold them a product that is illegal to use on public roads. No law is broken until you pull out of your drveway with one of those installed.

Years ago, when we had photo radar, I used to tuck a leaf in my license plate bezel, just enough to cover a letter or two.

Originally Posted By: expat
Years ago, when we had photo radar, I used to tuck a leaf in my license plate bezel, just enough to cover a letter or two.

When I had my Jeep, there just happened to be enough mud covering some of my plate.
They actually sell some mud spray for license plates.

We have guys that have covers installed in Utah-and we are not a red light/photo radar state. Go figure!

Why don't you just obey the law and not run red lights?

You know, many people are killed EVERY year from idiots that run red lights.

I guess ethics and laws don't mean much anymore as long as a person can get away with something.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

I guess ethics and laws don't mean much anymore as long as a person can get away with something.

I'm shocked it took two pages for someone to say this.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

+ 1000

I had one clear license plate cover just to protect the plate a few years ago, I was pulled over and got a warning, was told by the cop that those are illegal because they blur the camera image

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back