Phone number lookup

4WD

$50 site donor 2023
Like clockwork when I place an order from Walmart.com … here comes the text that I won a $1000 gift card … oh, and of course it has a link they hope you click on. This one from the San Diego region. Nothing Googles up with the phone number. I also get lots of random calls and block them … but I recently blocked a good caller. Does anyone here use a reverse lookup site ? If so, do they work and which is better.

Most of those sites are BS. And the phone numbers are spoofed by the spammers/scammers anyway so looking up the phone number isn't going to do you any good because it'll come back to a real person or business, but they have nothing to do with it.

Because the telephone industry didn't keep their systems closed or secure, basically anyone with a reasonable amount of tech savvy can make "caller ID" display anything they want as a number lookup. Its really unfortunate, but telecom is one of those areas in which deregulation really went too far, and ruined what was a reasonable "jewel" of a secure system.

Good luck attempting to block callers/numbers. They almost always use random phone number generators. My wife and I have ordered a few things from walmart.com and never gotten "spam", FWIW. Are you buying it from 3rd-party sellers who use Walmart's marketplace ?

Originally Posted by pitzel
Because the telephone industry didn't keep their systems closed or secure, basically anyone with a reasonable amount of tech savvy can make "caller ID" display anything they want as a number lookup. Its really unfortunate, but telecom is one of those areas in which deregulation really went too far, and ruined what was a reasonable "jewel" of a secure system.
who needs tech savvy lol you can download free apps in the app store to do that

4WD

$50 site donor 2023
They were Rollback items … so figure that's direct ? (Techron Marine multi purpose) Walmart box and tape.

Last edited:
Rollbacks are most likely from Walmart, yeah. Not sure why you get that spam then....

Kestas

Staff member
Probably happenstance. For a while I was getting spam calls around three times a day, for around three weeks, then it suddenly stopped.

I especially like when the idiot scammers call me, with my own name and phone number in the caller ID. Apparently they're not even bright enough to enter a different name and number into the phony caller ID. crackmeup