Phillips TropArctic oil- where?

Status
Not open for further replies.
alco/duckwall in MO,IN,IL,OH none in Ky. also maybe! (dollar tree) there are some in ky, dont know if they are near you. As a wild guess I would try (Tractor Supply) dont know if there are any in ky. Mike

Why, you can get it at Phillips 66 stations, of course!

I have seen it at O'Reilly stores in Texas, but some stores have it and some don't.

Wal-mart started carring it in our area. An alternative to Motorcraft I guess.

-T

It was at wal mart here for a $1.12 5w 30 gf4 sm synthetic blend. Looks like they just started stockig it. I think this will be my next oil purchase.
grin.gif

Who regularly sells Phillips Trop Arctic motor oil? I can't find it around Louisville Ky. Quarts, Gallons, or my favorite- 2.5 gal jugs- will work.

Thanks in advance!

Well this topic is timely, I was in AZ on Sunday morning picking up a headlamp bulb and perusing the GC (Syntec, found one lonely bottle of M04 amongst a bunch of M05 and a few bottles of the NA stuff), when I hear from the back (stocking was going on at the time) "hey whats up with this Kendall oil?" So I mosey back there and ask the assistant manager "Kendall?" He says, "Yep, 50 and 70 weight", I go," oh well, have anything else your getting rid of?", He has his employee look in a bin that must be for shipping out and it is full of Phillips Trop Artic straight 30. "How much do you want for it? " He thinks a moment, "89 cents", I look, " I'll take all of it". So came home with 11 qts of the trop artic
fruit.gif
, 1 bottle of the green GC, 1 headlamp, 2qts of 2-stroke oil, and a couple of other things..

Well I just had to share that with someone, I was pretty
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

So is it the exact same as MC?

That has been our speculation, here, since last July, when the new ConocoPhillips GF-4 blends were announced.

However, I'm now going to hop off that bandwagon.

Looking at the terminology in the new Trop Arctic MSDS, it is 70-80% hydrocarbon base oils & the remainder listed as "proprietary additives". This actually means that the Grp III component, that warrants the use of the synthetic blend label, may only be present in amounts down to 15-20%.

Also, the cold crank rating, as I recall was originally about 4500 cP for the 5w-30. Now it is 5300 cP on the latest data sheet & this is matched by many GRP II+ formulations.

The GRP III base oil in Motorcraft is a lower cost GRP III imported from Korea and identified on the Motorcraft MSDS as 62742-54-7, the same CAS number used for the Korean/S-Oil GRP III base oils.

I now believe that the Motorcraft formulations have a higher percentage of G-III base oils than Trop Artic. The sell price is a bit of a clue - I would expect Trop Artic to sell in the $1.52/quart range if it indeed was the same formulation as Motorcraft.

quote:

Who regularly sells Phillips Trop Arctic motor oil?

Do you have 76, Kendall, or Conoco oil available in your area? They are all the same at Tropartic, being products of ConocoPhillips, Corp.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by Blue99:
...Looking at the terminology in the new Trop Arctic MSDS, it is 70-80% hydrocarbon base oils & the remainder listed as "proprietary additives". This actually means that the Grp III component, that warrants the use of the synthetic blend label, may only be present in amounts down to 15-20%.

Not so fast - According to the ConocoPhillips MSDSs, in the toxicology section:

"Carcinogenicty: The petroleum base oils contained in this product have been highly refined by a variety of processes including solvent extraction, hydrotreating, and dewaxing to remove aromatics and improve performance characteristics. All the oils meet the IP-346 criteria of less than 3 percent PAH's and therefore none are listed as a carcinogen by NTP, IARC, or OSHA. [emphasis mine]

The only dino base stocks that have this low an aromatic content are Group IIIs, which in turn leads me to believe that a variety of base stock quality grades are used per availability and then thrown into the hydro-cooker to render them to Group III final status. This could be done in Korea, making the ConocoPhillips stable of brands virtually identical to Motorcraft. The latest product data sheets from ConocoPhillips are dated 03/05/05. Is it possible the company switched testing procedures from last September? The latest MSDS sheets from ConocoPhillips are dated 02/22/05, but Ford's is dated 04/11/05. Could the ConocoPhillips MSDS sheets represent a transitional spec that is now finalized in the Ford MSDS?

Brother Ray, you are right on.

In my OPINION , the way COP is formulating this oil, at a price point to compete , is that they use a majority of that Korean source for grp III oils . Not to mention a perfect blend of PAO and neato esters to exceed the required standard.

This lubricant and its 3 sister brands ,designed for the DIFM market, it is aimed at, is a smart and pre-emtive marketing ploy by COP.

DIFM = do- it- for- me ( quick lubes mostly)

My local walmart carries it in 5w30, 10w30, and 10w40, but I'm not sure if the tropartic here are syn-blend, I think its about $1.12 a bottle. This is syn-blend for that cheap? Is this worth it over say, Mobil Clean 5000 @$1.72 or 7500 @$2.12?

quote:

Originally posted by lamont cranston:
Who regularly sells Phillips Trop Arctic motor oil? I can't find it around Louisville Ky. Quarts, Gallons, or my favorite- 2.5 gal jugs- will work.

Thanks in advance!

Hey there. I live in Jeffersonville. The WalMart on Veterans Pkwy in Clarksville has it. The Auto Zone in Clarksville used to carry it also.

I changed to the TA 10W-30 this weekend in my 2004 Suburban 5.3L. Some seat of the pants observations:

The first oil change after the factory fill was Quaker State 5W-30 by the dealer (7K) I replaced the QS with Havoline 5W-30 the next change (11K) and could feel the difference. The engine was smoother and the gas mileage was a slight bit better. However, the Havoline seemed to have more valvetrain noise, especially after a hot restart.

So far, the truck seems to run as well on the TA as it did on the Havoline and maybe a liitle better. That valvetrain noise on a hot restart seems to be much less.I also notice the oil pressure is up slightly at highway speeds, which indicates a little higher viscosity.

I havent had an UOA with any oil yet, since the truck only has 15K and break in metals havent settled down yet. I plan on running the TA 3K, draining and refilling with fresh TA then running 4K and then having Mr. Dyson do an analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back