Phillips 66 fleet supreme dirt in the bucket

I buy my oil from a local distributor, this hasn't been an issue yet. But today I pumped 5 gallons of 15w40 fleet supreme into my series 60 and found particles at the bottom of the bucket. I called my rep right away, he said it happens on buckets that have been sitting and it's ok, but I expressed these are hard, like oil dri or small pieces of gravel, he then said that's not good and that's not normal, something about the additive package can break down and create deposits, but definitely not hard like these.

So, the engine hasn't been run, our thoughts are, remove the filters for new ones since they're prefilled, drain out what's in there, refill with 4-5 gallons of something to flush the sump.

The filters should catch any of these big particles before the engine sees them, however, my last oil sample came back with high silicon levels, nothing was changed prior to that sample and the engine is brand new, is it possible the oil is dirty out of the bucket?

Attachments

• 110814.jpeg
    110814.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 71
  • received_171467245074004.jpeg
    received_171467245074004.jpeg
    15.9 KB · Views: 72
I would send in a sample from the bottom of the bucket minus the chunky stuff and see what it looks like.

Ive seen additive fallout in oil but nothing that looked like that. Really makes one question buying bulk oil.

I would guess the bucket got contaminated while its time in a shop. Maybe someone grinding or sandblasting, or something like that got into the air.

That seems more likely to me.

Ok, to answer everyone. Yes it is a suction tube for a hand pump. The pump never sits out. When not in use it's sitting in a half bucket of oil I use to top off, but never sets out.

No, the bucket it not refilled, my supplier buys them prefilled from phillips and sells them in 5, 55, and bulk methods.

As for contamination in the bucket, the wife just got them from the warehouse Thursday and brought them to my shop, so I've had possession for 48 hours. It was sealed when I got it as they always are.

I don't have time for the sample, this truck has to go to work Tuesday.

I would say Phillips 66 seems to have a quality control issue and you’re right, gravel is an apt term. That would unsettle me seeing junk like that at the bottom of a fresh, just opened bucket of oil after I filled my engine with it. I agree the oil filter will catch it.

This is an excellent advertisement for not prefilling the filters.
Like most here, I haven't seen anything abnormal in the bottom of the bucket in hundreds of gallons.

Ahhhh the plot thickens. So these are NOT prepacked, my distributor buys in bulk and fills buckets. I dropped the pan today, cleaned the sump by hand and reinstalled. New buckets were clean installs..the dealer admitted it musta been a foul up on their part. They're reimbursing my costs so I'm happy for that.

Back