Philips X-treme Vision #921 bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 921 is a T10 wedge base bulb.

The Phillips is designed to utilize the reflector.

Some other T10 LEDs fire straight out not bothering with the reflector, but usually are much longer.

Some have hard driven 'Cree' emitters and can be extremely bright. I put Cree in quotes because these can be fakes.

I tried such a bulb in my 1156 ba15s reverse lights, and it might have been acceptable as far as reverse lighting from the driver, but it was NOT adequate for signaling drivers behind me that I was in reverse, especially backing out of a diagonal parking spot, where it was practically invisible, so I reinstalled the 1156 incandescent.

I imagine this type of bulb could work in some reverse light housings.

If you do get the phillips, I'd love to see a comparison shot to an incandescent 921, and hear your opinion.

The ticket is to buy bulbs from the right people. Look at the picture below. The 2 smallest lights in this picture are the forward markers for this bike. On the right is an LED 1157. On the left is a Philips incandescent that promised to be brighter than a normal bulb.

The housings for these bulbs have no reflector. Whatever happens to shine out from the unfinished metal surface from the back, is what you get.

Now look at those 2 lights, LED on the right, incandescent on the left, and you tell me which is brighter.

Now, look at the front of this Road King's front fender. See that light that looks like the North Star? That's a T10/168/194 bulb, backed up by no reflector.

I don't sell LED lights, but if you want to know the right ones to get, I'll point you in the right direction.

I just saw the specifications for that bulb, pretty pricey and so far they only come in 6000k, which would be a bit too purple for me. 12 year warranty is impressive but are only 180 lumens.

Xenon Depot has the bulbs for $35.98. One website I read says the lumens listed for an incandescent bulb are initial lumens and the actual operating output after a few hours is 60% of the initial value. This, if true, drops the OEM bulb down into the 180 range. https://www.xenondepot.com/accord-led-bulb-review-s/11.htm This is a good review of the Philips bulb. I have found that CREE type bulbs don't work in my reverse lights, I think, because they don't put much light toward the reflectors.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
The ticket is to buy bulbs from the right people. Look at the picture below. The 2 smallest lights in this picture are the forward markers for this bike. On the right is an LED 1157. On the left is a Philips incandescent that promised to be brighter than a normal bulb.

The housings for these bulbs have no reflector. Whatever happens to shine out from the unfinished metal surface from the back, is what you get.

Now look at those 2 lights, LED on the right, incandescent on the left, and you tell me which is brighter.

Now, look at the front of this Road King's front fender. See that light that looks like the North Star? That's a T10/168/194 bulb, backed up by no reflector.

I don't sell LED lights, but if you want to know the right ones to get, I'll point you in the right direction.

What have you had success with?

Installed the #921 LED bulbs today. Put in one to compare it to the OEM bulb. The LED light is very white compared to the OEM, light on the ground is brighter than the OEM, left the lights on for several minutes while I checked everything and put the trunk lid liner back in, the OEM bulb got the lens hot but the LED didn't. The light from the LED filled up the reflector like the OEM. I replaced the OEM bulb used for comparison and am happy with the new lights.

I havent tired those bulbs but I have tried these JDM ASTAR LED bulbs.

Here are the bulbs I tried:

Extremely bright PX LED:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QXUFCAY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMAG3185_zpso8ch7hzc.jpg

AX LED Projection:

http://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-AX-2835-...48JSH5XZ380PX3N

IMAG3187_zpsalpqvg14.jpg

Link to my review:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3647314/JDM_ASTAR_LED_bulbs#Post3647314

I know if I want to illuminate behind my 2014 F150 I will have to install additional lights, probably under the rear bumper. The rear light housing on this generation truck has such a narrow backup light reflector that along with the unladen stance points the light upwards not downward behind the truck.
So a brighter bulb will have little effect unless I'm backing up to something.

Originally Posted By: ffhdriver
Xenon Depot has the bulbs for $35.98. One website I read says the lumens listed for an incandescent bulb are initial lumens and the actual operating output after a few hours is 60% of the initial value. This, if true, drops the OEM bulb down into the 180 range. https://www.xenondepot.com/accord-led-bulb-review-s/11.htm This is a good review of the Philips bulb. I have found that CREE type bulbs don't work in my reverse lights, I think, because they don't put much light toward the reflectors.
Interesting observation. I bought a Kenwood aftermarket radio for one of the fleet and the purple LED back lighting was hard to take. But... it got more and more mellow with age. Now it looks more like a middle blue and quite a bit darker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back