Phelps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: moribundman
I don't know why booing the opponent may become part of rooting for the own team. I guess it's truly a matter of "class:" The plebs were also the "real people (Romans)." I go see a few baseball games every year. There is always a bunch of plebs in the crowd that constantly has to heckle and taunt the players. Luckily most people are above that.
If the plebs heckle and taunt the players, what do the proles do?

Just finished watching Randy Gaines three time gold medal winner from the U.S on the Aussie TV how Yum Cha from Beijing. He said the U.S will never have the repect and enthusiasm Australia does for swimming, and he has tried to make his commentary in the same style as the Aussie commentators. Aussies cheer all the swimmers and the Aussies and Americans always go out together after the racers are over.

Originally Posted By: Aldaris
If the plebs heckle and taunt the players, what do the proles do?

The scratch their nuts, flatulate, burp and grunt in random fashion.

Your right, we don't have an enthusiasm for swimming. Even though Phelps is the greatest swimmer in the world, we don't appreciate it. Well, we will for the next few months, since he'll be on a box of wheaties. he'll be forgotten though. I'm excited for the NFL football season to start, ever since ESPN became the Brett Favre channel.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Well, no one boo'd in my house. The Oz's surely made us all nervous ..right up to the end.

I thought that the added "world record line" chasing them up the pool added to the anxiety/anticipation.

Grand time for all who participated.

One of the many amazing stories was the 41 year old, Dara Torres, breaking a 100 year old record for the oldest swimming medal winner.

I say keep bumping that age record up. It makes aging look younger all the time.

NO boos here either!!
I respect and admire any/everyone who has made it to the start line/blocks in EVERY event!!!
In fact, I was disheartened to learn that the Ozzies were shut out of the medals in the track cycling team pursuit event.
frown.gif

I fully expected them to be at least the silver medalists with the excellent (and fast rising) Kiwis in bronze.

I FULLY agree with the Dara praises!!
What makes her accomplishments all the more incredible is that the fast twitch 'sprinter type' muscle cells (and corresponding synapse/neuron speed and reaction time) are the FIRST thing to go south with age!!
That she can still sprint better than anyone less than half her age is amazing!
That she can actually beat most of the best is unfathomable.

Yes, she (and others like Jeannie Longo who missed a bronze in the women's cycling TT by 2 seconds at the age of 50!!!) gives us 'old folk' some hope and inspiration.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
don't worry acuratech, I didn't watch it, but I would have booed all the countries except for us. Were #1, go phelps!

nice. True Olympic spirit.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

I was disheartened to learn that the Ozzies were shut out of the medals in the track cycling team pursuit event.
frown.gif

I fully expected them to be at least the silver medalists with the excellent (and fast rising) Kiwis in bronze.

Well we were pretty [censored] impressed! The team pursuit time was good enough for the Silver,but they were competing for Bronze.We have done well in the cycling this year,but the Poms have really blitzed everyone,totally dominant.We have hope for our girl in the BMX on thursday....she is No1 in the world,but it could be different on the day.

Saw about 30 seconds of the BMX on Sunday...that's an impressive impact looking sport.

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: Silk
We have done well in the cycling this year,but the Poms have really blitzed everyone,totally dominant.

YES, you have!! I remember seeing some of your team right before they left for China at our (sort of) local cement 333.3 meter bowl (Lehigh Valley Velodrome) and I was quite impressed!
In fact, if the IOC did not make the UCI dump the kilo TT to make room for BMX, I fully expected one of your team to medal in that as well.

Yes the 'Poms' (Limeys to us Yanks
LOL.gif
) have been indomitable in track cycling lately, but they recently dumped what, like ~ 5+ million Euros into their program??!!
Your (and the Ozzies') programs have NOTHING to be ashamed of considering how great you do without that monetary benefit!
thumbsup2.gif

I am so proud of Michael, Nastia, Shawn and all of our atheletes. When I see that type of dedication in youg Americans, and especially the patriotism of our young military folks, I think we may still have a chance.

Last edited:
I can almost hear Morgan Freeman as the voiceover in a TV ad for the Phelps Exhibit at Sea World.

"They have come from far, from all countries, they have suffered long lines at airline checkins, they have eaten bad airline food, they have paid $150 for a one-day family pass. They all have one thing in common for just a few short hours: they all want to be delighted and stunned by Michael Phelps. VISA, proud sponsor of Sea World and so much more!"

Was apparently seen sucking face with Stephanie Rice the other night...probably should check out TnS' post on the 3 boards.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Was apparently seen sucking face with Stephanie Rice the other night...probably should check out TnS' post on the 3 boards.

from my swimming days i remember the big meet after parties to be pretty wild... cage these kids for X months, they don't drink, fit as all h.e.c.k, give em a few light beers and bob's yer uncle
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back