Ph3675 cut after just 52 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
User id of the OP over there is clinebarger, don't we have a user here with the same name?

Originally Posted By: bbhero
It is my strong supposition that zee0six and many others are just looking at what they are seeing on here. It's an observation based upon evidence that has been presented on here. IF and I mean IF Fram started having has many documented failures I feel that many people on here would say so.

Yes, you have that right. If Fram or any other brand started showing multiple failures over and over, I'd certainly be negative toward them too. This particular failure was a manufacturing defect which could happen to any brand. Now if almost every Fram cut open had this same failure then it would be obvious that there was a manufacturing problem that needed some major attention.

Truth is in my opinion... Fram coming out with the Ultra filter greatly helped their brand immensely. Before this... They were getting trashed for poor quality too. But the Ultra has helped them turn that ship around in a very positive way. Purolator can very easily do the same thing. I hope they do has well
smile.gif
because having more good quality choices to choose from is a good deal for us all
smile.gif

Yep, and what's hurt Purolator a lot is not saying much of anything about their quality issue. That right there disappoints the people who use to love them ... including me. It just shows they don't really care much about the customer. At least Fram seems to be a bit more customer orientated.

Nah.. Only Ray Charles couldn't see there's an agenda here though right
smile.gif

Again, which company has more documented failures on here with their low end products?? Good, bad or indifferent it is you know who.
Is this because hardly anyone cuts open the Fram EGs?? Could possibly be the case.. If that's the case.. Then lets get an equal number of people cutting and posting Fram EGs on here. Because it is a low number of them that do get cut up.

Originally Posted By: Mrsandman

The thing is this isn't a post about puro. Puro shouldn't be used to divert the focus off the topic.

Media failure Fram EGs and Tearolators go together like a horse and carriage. LoL

Better get busy and dig up some more Fram failure threads off all the chat boards you can find. We're getting bored with this one.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Guess you don't get the humor either ...
whistle.gif

Maybe you need a little more work on your humor?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: jk_636
Why don't you give them a chance to explain instead of just jumping on them feet first?

I have removed filters a couple miles if they created excessive start up tick. That very well may be what happened here.
Originally Posted By: Mrsandman
Nope, not buying it. 52 miles of use seems like a witch hunt is brewing.

They said he had something come up and crack his oil pan. I suppose they cut the filter to inspect for damage signs and discovered this. You can clearly see they didn't properly glue the seem.
The filter is positioned above the oil pan on this car and there no damage to the can so y'all, looks like a legitimate failure

Ok, that does make sense. Forgive my abrupt assumptions.

And BTW: i still use both, Fram and Purolator. So no agenda here.

I believe you, ive noticed you seem to stay on the peaceful side here and you seem to have your own opinions and not just follow the crowd... Honorable I say

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Guess you don't get the humor either ...
whistle.gif

Maybe you need a little more work on your humor?
21.gif

Nope ... you've misread me all night, while nobody else has. What's that data tell ya?
wink.gif

I would and will gladly run a Purolator Synthetic oil filter on my car. I like the textured grip on the whole can. It's a very good product. Just wish Wally world sold them too
smile.gif

If Fram EGs start showing up the same regularity with issues.. I wouldn't use them at all. Seeing your initial pictures is of note. Let's see if more and more and more start showing up on here. If they do.. Count me out on buying them too.

Ohh and BTW... I have only used the Fram Ultra since I believe late 2011 or early 2012. And IF... Advance Auto sold the Purolator Synthetic filters with their oil specials.. Count me in because I would be there buying them too. Gladly.

Last edited:
Nothing bad about the Purolator Synthetic. Hear that JK?!

Something doesn't smell right here. Why would anyone pull a filter off after only 52 miles. Regardless of the reason given, im not buying it, sorry.

Someone's trying to drive an agenda IMO.

It sure looks that way doesn't it?

All I have to say is.... Let us see a whole bunch of Fram extra guards start showing up on this here site with tearing problems. Then.. I will gladly buy in.

If that's the case I'll switch again. I used Purolator filters, when a slew of problems popped up I stopped. I use mostly Mobil 1 filters now with some Fram filters. I have no problem switching brands again, I'll even go back to Purolator when I'm convinced they fixed the problems. If I see a slew of Fram filter failures I'll ditch them too.

What's the best way to deflect a negative comment about Fram? Mention Purolator!
banana2.gif

No kidding. Do you think they would have their feathers ruffled if there was a post about a problematic Purolator? I smell a payola....

I don't believe anything that anyone says who wanders around in the garage with only socks on his feet
smile.gif

Seriously, FRAM cut and posts usually show the filter has intact glue seams, but it's noted.

I don't see any reason to use FRAM at this point regardless...

Originally Posted By: Falken
I don't believe anything that anyone says who wanders around in the garage with only socks on his feet
smile.gif

You made me go back and look at the picture again.
grin2.gif

Does this mean that I should cut open my filter at somewhere under 100 miles to check for tears and then put the filter back on so I will know if the filter is going to work correctly? (lol)

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Does this mean that I should cut open my filter at somewhere under 100 miles to check for tears and then put the filter back on so I will know if the filter is going to work correctly? (lol)
sure

Or you could just not buy that brand

Looks like the pleat still sealed further in. The "v" comes together. Pleats are deeper than 1/4 in, so it's fine. Didn't tear. Most oil pans on those American iron cars are sheet steel not cast, so they dent way before the split. They don't crack they bend. Poor guy, innocently in his car and something "came up" from the ground and attacked his car, as it was described. Need a pic of where the pleat is all the way split open. Nice try.

Clinebargwer is from Texas, seems a lot of people are who have a vendetta against the Extra guard. Just coincidence surely. I don't like the EG either, now that I have learned a bit more, I see others filters have nicer pleats and I like the fiber end cap centering the element less than the metal nub centering on others. Nubless is bestest I think anyway. Your mileage may vary.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
What's the best way to deflect a negative comment about Fram? Mention Purolator!
banana2.gif

No kidding. Do you think they would have their feathers ruffled if there was a post about a problematic Purolator? I smell a payola....

It's called direct marketing.....

The internet has spawned this new category of schlepping products.

You can see an advertisement on TV and recognize that it's an advertisement.

But when your buddy on the internet provides his candid critique of the greatest oil filter ever, you will be more inclined to listen.

People are hired by industry to perform this marketing work and you will see them on YouTube, product reviews on Amazon, forums like this, etc. pandering for brand X, Y, or Zee.

From their incessant posts, I would guess there are a few on BITOG.

If you watch closely, you can see them chime in together in support of a product from time to time.

Sometimes they will even whistle in their handler to make sure they are getting credit for their efforts.

Every filter brand has some failures. Even the Ultra has shown a couple over the years posted here on this board.

Wix had a major failure just a few days ago on here. Does that mean you think Wix is junk too?
Link to Wix failure:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3841057/1/Microguard_MGL57712_~4900_mile

In this case it looks like the filter didn't fail. It is probably still sealed and actually looks like it was peeled back. The oil is a little too dirty for such low miles so my guess is fraud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back