PF63 vs PF48 - How much more capacity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
in 2013 the Chev 5.3, 4.3, and 6.2 gas V-8 in the 1500 as well as the 6.0 in the 2500 Suburban all called for the XG10060.

What's really REALLY crazy is the little XG10060 flows *almost* 10 gallons per minute (I don't really see how)

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3114348/Re:_Fram_Ultra_PICS_&_#3114670

Following is an excerpt from an article on Gen 5 Chev engines that came out in 2014, the same year as the longer filter. You can easily see GM concentrated on the entire oiling system.

Advanced oiling system: the oiling system incorporates a new variable-displacement oil pump that enables more efficient oil delivery, based the engine’s operating conditions. Its dual-pressure control enables operation at a very efficient oil pressure at lower rpm, and then delivers higher pressure at higher engine speeds to provide a more robust lubrication. Oil capacity has been increased to six quarts for the 4.3L V6 and eight quarts for the V8 engines. All engines use GM’s Dexos oil for increased fuel efficiency and longer oil life, and V8s are engineered to use 0W/20 oil to improve lubrication and reduce friction. All trucks also feature GM’s oil life monitor, which better protects engines by recommending oil changes based on actual engine operating conditions and can save owners’ money by avoiding unnecessary oil changes.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/l86/#ixzz53uFaGmM5

I have heard that the with the pressure increase described above there is also a higher flow rate through the filter and I’m guessing that is why the Gen V engines get the longer filter with more filtration material.

Since we rarely wear out a 6.0, even at half a million urban miles, I cannot imagine why anyone would "need" a larger filter unless you have a newer model with a two stage oil pump. These are superb long lasting powerful engines.

Believe it or not, the new oil pump design is for lower oil pressure when the revs are down to reduce load and eke out another tiny squirt of fuel economy. The added oil capacity is for longer OCI's.

I guess the larger oil filter is one of those “why not” issues. If the Gen 5’s get them, “why not” put them on the Gen IV’s, For those worried about warranties, they can wait. Regarding the larger oil capacity, yes, longer OCI’s, but what does that imply? The recommended oil change interval on these engines, is determined by the oil monitor. Do you think they re-programmed the monitor to give longer OCI’s ?

SF

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Since we rarely wear out a 6.0, even at half a million urban miles, I cannot imagine why anyone would "need" a larger filter unless you have a newer model with a two stage oil pump. These are superb long lasting powerful engines.

Believe it or not, the new oil pump design is for lower oil pressure when the revs are down to reduce load and eke out another tiny squirt of fuel economy. The added oil capacity is for longer OCI's.

Yes, and there is actually a solenoid that determines how the two stage pump oil pressure is controlled. No simple oil pumps any more.
But there is more to it. The higher oil pressure, higher flow rate, larger oil capacity, larger oil filter, and change to 0W-20 motor oil are all part of the solution to the infamous lifter failures in the 5.3 AFM system.

I did a posting on the forum asking folks to tell us about the OCI the oil monitor is suggesting for their Gen 4 and Gen 5 V-8's.

Four Gen 4 owners reported the average interval was 6,125 miles with a high of 7,000 miles and a low of 5,000 miles. The five Gen 5 owners reported 7,500 miles with no variation. Looks like GM definitely suggest OCI's are longer on Gen 5's. The other issues are that the Gen 5's have a larger oil pan capacity, (8 quarts vs 6), has a high pressure oil pump with a higher flow rate, and uses the larger oil filter.

SF

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Yes, and there is actually a solenoid that determines how the two stage pump oil pressure is controlled. No simple oil pumps any more.
But there is more to it. The higher oil pressure, higher flow rate, larger oil capacity, larger oil filter, and change to 0W-20 motor oil are all part of the solution to the infamous lifter failures in the 5.3 AFM system.

Ask any tech working in a stealership service dept. AFM issues are virtually nil since 2013. My friend is a chief tech at a very busy dealer here in the Greater tampa bay area and he says they were doing 10 per week in 2010, now they are lucky to see one per week. The AFM thing is long dead and now we will have to contend with the HUGE numbers of used trucks out there.

And IMO the oiling improvements are rather obviously to help with the switch to 20w oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back