pf1218

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got an AC Delco pf1218 for the oil change on my 1988 GMC Suburban. The new filter is about half an inch shorter than the one I removed and also I am sure that it was nearly twice the price as the same filter that I got for the oil change six months ago at the same chain store. I have heard of "more for less", but now it seems to be "less for more". Anybody know why the length of the pf1218 filter has been changed ?

Likely it is an Ecore. The new design has less empty space inside due to the bypass. Did it have a black plastic cage inside instead of the perforated metal tube? Be interesting to cut it and the old one open and check media area. Of course, that wouldn't prove the quality of the 2 medias were the same.

If you want a big empty can, Fram is the answer.

Hi Labman,

what is an ecore ? Still not sure why this has anything to do with length of the filter. Both are pf1218 purchased at the same autozone, one recently and the other six months ago. Didnt check the inside of the filter. Old one is disposed of and the new one is now on the vehicle. Is the ecore a new technology or something that is better than the old ? Or is it just cheaper. Price of metal is up, maybe the plastic ecore and less metal on the length of the filter is a cost cutting measure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back