Peugeot

Saw one a few years ago at the Carlisle Import festival.

IMG_0304.JPG

IMG_0305.JPG

IMG_0306.JPG

Last night Martin Short / Steve Martin drove a 504 PEUGEOT sedan in Episode 5 of " Only Murders In the Building " . Named it " Aphrodite " . Started watching it a few weeks ago . Great show . :D

I have a friend who loves quirky Euro & American vehicles.
Since I’ve known him(~50 yrs) he always seemed to have something that the rest of us don’t see very often.
He’s owned a bunch of 60’s 12 cyl Jags
Peugeot 405/505s
Early Mini Coopers
60s/70s Volvo Diesels
Alfas/FIAT/Lancia
IH Scouts
and cars that he had the best intentions for but they never materialize. So he sold’em off or parts’d em out.

I love french cars and wish we had some here to chose from. Maybe with Stellantis we'll get access to Citroen or Peugeot.

Peugeot was always my favourite of the three French car brands, the Pininfarina designed and manufactured 406 Coupe was always a great looking car back in the day and it's aged very well (maybe except the faux wood center console trim).

In the mid-eighties, a neighbour on my paper route had a 1977 504 sedan. I remember she sold it very cheap to get rid of it to buy a 1986 Toyota Tercel 5-door hatchback. She said it was a very reliable car, she just wanted something newer.

Some nice French cars. I owned quite a few Citroen cars over the years. The SM and CX were my favorites. I have worked on a few Peugeot cars but never owned one.

Peugeots are liked because - they look nice, are not expensive to buy and maintain (unless you break your turbo or fancy clutch), drive and handle ok.
Parts are not expensive and shared around brands and models.
A friend has a 2000 406 he gave up on at 600 000km. It just has too much rust.
Pretty happy with my 407, but electrical issues and ESP gremlins are starting to come up on a 16+ year old car.
Super comfortable on a long drive on a good road. Amazing handling.. and not fast enough to get you in trouble :) . Looks good enough. Great comfortable front seats.
206s are driven a lot here as are 307s and 308s. Diesels have a great rep for reliability.
Had a few rides in a 205 GTi and a 205 with the seats out to rally race... scary fun.
Plenty of places service them in Europe, not sure for other locations.

I wouldn't say the same for PSA gas engines especially the EP6 turbos. You probably agree.
Those were one of the poor ones (dont know if it was more a BMW or Peugeot problem) as well as well as the 1st gen 1.6HDi DW series(developed with Ford I think).
Haven't done much research but as far as TU(old), XU and EW series gas engines, well they last 400-500k so good enough.
Peugeot mechanic buddy switched to farm/garden stuff a while back so my info on the newer stuff is not much.

I've always liked quirky French cars. Had a roommate once that owned an old Renault. I liked to drive it. Drove a 504 Peugeot a few times too. It was built like a tank and slow as a '90s Compaq computer but it had a very supple and comfortable ride. I would like to find a decent 505 with a non-turbo four engine and manual trans.

Has anybody driven one, owned one, or worked on one? 🇫🇷

View attachment 81507
How about always wanted one? I have driven several, but none recently.

Looking for my first new car out of college, I stopped by a Peugeot dealer in Rhode Island. Came oh so close on one of these, but wound up with a Jetta instead. I was auditing and piling on the miles and I doubt the 505 would have held up as well for the ~200K the VW did.

The 505 is high on my short list for cars that I would snap up if a good one came along...along with a Volvo 262c. Mine would have to have the V6 or Turbo though, and I would add the French spec headlights.

Learned to drive (on the street) in a 504 diesel. Manual. Good car. It was totaled (long story) but saved my life.

Dad got a 505 turbo (gasoline, auto) to replace it.

Always thought that 505 was a good looking car. It drove very well. Good power (in the early 1980s, most cars were truly slow) Good handling.

Back