"petrol injector cleaner" in a bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Recently walking through the autoparts store and saw the "petrol injector cleaner" on special for about 85% off so i thought why not and bought it.
Anyone had experience with these cleaners that you just pour into the fuel tank? More importantly, can they cause any harm?

The "TOP TIER" fuel here has injector cleaner in it and it is supposed to help keep injectors clean. However; some of us choice to add additional "petrol injector cleaner" like Techron every 10,000 miles or so. Does not hurt anything and may help clean dirty injectors. Ed

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
There's a big difference between Techron or Regane and some generic "injector cleaner" that's mostly kerosene (paraffin in NZ?)

This one i've picked up is a Generic Autostore brand produced by NULON, a popular brand in australia/new zealand.
I look at the back and all it says is
"Contains :Liquid Hydrocarbons "

Last edited:
Yeah it's basically a mix of Kero and Shellite and about as useful as a hip pocket in a singlet.

The only cleaner I've found available down here is Redline SI-1.

I use a bottle a year before every oil change, but my car has 450,000km on it and the PCV deposits foul the injector nozzles. The SI-1 actually does make a difference (ie pull them out and take a look at the spray pattern, run the SI-1 and have another look).

I could do the same thing by pulling and scrubbing the injectors, but by using the SI-1 I only have to do that every 4 years or so.

Originally Posted By: 268i
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
There's a big difference between Techron or Regane and some generic "injector cleaner" that's mostly kerosene (paraffin in NZ?)

This one i've picked up is a Generic Autostore brand produced by NULON, a popular brand in australia/new zealand.
I look at the back and all it says is
"Contains :Liquid Hydrocarbons "

Go for the Total Fuel System Cleaner
http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Fuel_Treatments/Total_Fuel_System_Cleaner

It contains (or so it claims) polyetheramine, which is the preferred detergent.

polyetheramine or PEA, is the detergent developed by Chevron that is in their Techron branded products, and sold to other companies to be used in Gumout's Regane formulas, Redline SI-1, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back