PetroCanada, your views??

Status
Not open for further replies.
We recently had a car show in CT in SA, and the two respective oil companies who dared to show thier faces, were Royal Purple and PetroCanada.
itschy.gif

Now PetroCanada i hear is a hydro-cracked Base III oil. They claimed they would drink their oils and they also claimed their highly refined mineral oil is BETTER than any Synthetic on the market...???
lol.gif

Thoughts and opinions...
confused.gif
frown.gif

If you look on the Petro-Canada website, at the specs, you will see that their conventional 'maximum' and 'supreme' 5W30's have very low pour points and cold-cranking viscosities approaching those of Q-S winter blend oil. I can believe that their base oil is a very, very high quality one, approaching a synthetic level of performance....take a look:

'Maximum Motor Oils':

http://www.petrocanada.ca/eng/prodserv/lubesgreases/pdf/IM7816e0408.pdf

'Supreme Motor Oils':

http://www.petrocanada.ca/eng/prodserv/lubesgreases/pdf/IM7872e0408.pdf

Define "better" for me. I've been here for a few years and it still means something different for every person.

That said - the base oils from PC caught my attention in a Lubes-n-Greases ad. a few years back - I knew they would make good oils.

Rumor has it that some PC tankers have crossed the border and left their load in Superior from time to time.

I'll be truthful with you Pablo - at this particular time of year, my definition of 'better' is basically resting on the pour point and cold-cranking viscosity of the oil - that what counts in a Canadian winter (and some American ones). I'm going to be doing a change by the end of the month, and I was thinking of going with Q-S winter blend, but may go with this instead, as it has similar properties. But you're right, even with a good base oil, the add pack may be lousy - but as long as it meets SL/SM specs, for 4,000 miles, it doesn't really matter...

PC is famous for making some of the best food-grade lubricants. Lubrication Engineers Inc buys alot of their base oils from PC. I am sure that they are a quality product, but lots of dino oil mfgr's claim that they are better than synthetics, hence the "Enhanced Lubricants" terminology...

The pour point for the refined oil at the refinery I work at is -70 deg F. This is before the additive packages are added and it becomes hydraulic fluid,5W30,10W30 etc. We use heavyer refined oil for the diesel and transformer markets so less additives are used just to thicken them. But no refined oil is not better than synthetic oil base. Synthetic is basically a manufactured molecule that is very uniform in size and carbon orientation. Therefore you don't get as many light ends flashing off at high temps and coking of oil on turbine shafts etc. And very little if any sludge problems associated with cross polymerization exept when certain aftermarket additives are added. PC oil is of very high quality but their Duron 5W40 Synthetic would smell for up to 3000 Kms when used in my truck. So I stick with a true PAO or ester based synthetic oil now and have no oil fashing at any time between changes.

Petro Canada makes a GPII/GPIII oil has NO light ends in it as good as a PAO other than volitlity and PP just as good.
bruce

I just wanted to bump this topic back into the forefront....In a recent topic, 'what is your favourite oil?' Johnny listed Petro Canada oil as one of his top three favourites...Johnny knows a lot about oil and what makes up different kinds, so this must mean it is a very good oil.

Johnny, if you read this, can you elaborate on your reason for this? From the post just above this one, it looks like P-C oil is a group II/III blend, at a price similar to that of a conventional...very similar to the value offered by the Conoco blends....is this it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back