Petro Canada PDF on lower viscosity oils...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good read and well written ... thanks for the link.

On page 2 however, it said: "Decreased oil film thickness can lead to increased boundary lubrication and wear".

Is that correct? I'm wondering if he meant to say "Decreased oil film thickness can lead to increased decreased boundary lubrication and wear."

One thing I see potentially happening with newer DI cars using xW-16 and xW-8 is the oil getting dangerously thin if the engine dilutes the fuel a lot. People that neglect to do routine OCIs on schedule with these really thin oils are risking doing some engine damage/wear IMO.

Thinner oil moves most parts further to the left on the Stribeck curve, which means toward boundary lubrication and more wear.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

On page 2 however, it said: "Decreased oil film thickness can lead to increased boundary lubrication and wear".

Is that correct? I'm wondering if he meant to say "Decreased oil film thickness can lead to increased decreased boundary lubrication and wear."

One thing I see potentially happening with newer DI cars using xW-16 and xW-8 is the oil getting dangerously thin if the engine dilutes the fuel a lot. People that neglect to do routine OCIs on schedule with these really thin oils are risking doing some engine damage/wear IMO.

At boundary, there is some ¨metal to metal¨ (mostly rubbing peaks) contact, wear being avoided by AW. So thinner, makes more of such contacts.

Last edited:

Back in the day, full hydrodynamic was called the "zero wear" area, so "increased boundary lubrication" results from decreasing the film thickness.

In this regime, the additives are there to "control" wear rather than eliminate it.

... On page 2 however, it said: "Decreased oil film thickness can lead to increased boundary lubrication and wear".

Is that correct? ...
Yes, correct as intended, but not clearly phrased.

Originally Posted By: JAG
Thinner oil moves most parts further to the left on the Stribeck curve, which means toward boundary lubrication and more wear.

Aaaah, yes ... I see what he's saying now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back