Petro-Canada Duron Syn|0w30|16037km(9964m)|G5 2.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

cp3

This is the first UOA on my G5. Duron Synthetic is one of Petro-Canada's HDEO offerings, had it for my Son's old Saturn to try cleaning it us some. The length of the OCIs by the OLM in this car have always bothered me a bit so I figured this would provide some extra room. Don't think I need that much room! The Na is likely from the previous run of GTX. Doesn't look like too bad of a report for an Ecotec, I'm happy. I filled with the infamous Caterham Blend at 60/40, same as the G6 and put in a Baldwin filter. I'll post pics of the filter as well.

Comments and questions welcomed.

Code:

DATE: 09/12

OIL: Petro-Canada

Duron Synthetic

0w30

FILTER: NG 7082

TOTAL KM: 153289

KM ON OIL: 16037

TOP UP: 0

Fe: 17

Cr: 0

Mo: 7

Al: 4

Cu: 1

Pb: 0

Sn: 0

Ti: 0

Ni: 0

Ag: 0

Si: 8

Na: 102

K: 7

Zn: 1110

Mg: 9

P: 1162

Ba: 0

B: 0

Ca: 2008

Mn: 6

V: 0

SOOT: 0

SULF: 27

OXID: 23

NITR: 14

VIS CST: 10.20

TBN: 5

COOLANT: NEG

FUEL: >1.0

WATER: NEG

Hi cp3.

Looks pretty good.
Experienced 12.5% viscosity loss which is more a point of interest than anything else since this is a HDEO which starts out at the heavier end of the 30wt spectrum.
Based on the remaining TBN of 5 you likely could have pushed it further.

Nice report on a solid canadian oil
grin.gif

How much did the Duron cost and where did you buy it?

I like that ending TBN.

What's the virgin viscosity of this oil?

Here's the PDS for the Duron, IRC it was $6.86/L at the local distributor. Starting vis. is now listed at 11.1 but this vintage was listed as 11.5 with 9.2 TBN. I wanted to do the UOA just for interest, i won't likely run it again.

Looks really, really good for that engine and interval. Thanks for posting, neat to see results on that oil.

cp3 Thanks for the analysis!
Could you tell about the operating conditions, % highway\city, number of months?

Oh ya, guess trying to get all seven threads posted caused me to miss some stuff.

Went in January 4, so just over 9 months. Mild winter last year but still plenty of -0C starts, block heater doesn't work above -18C but I did use it 2-3 times. I try to keep below 3000RPM until the coolant is up to it's normal 90C. This car does have a coolant to oil cooler so I'm thinking the oil temp stays in the "optimal" range more often than some. I don't know for sure but i don't think that cooler is thermostatically regulated.

Car sees a 60km each way drive daily but I car pool so that is usually every other week. It does see regular weekly city use as well but not a lot. I would guess 20 maybe 25% city max.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back