Personal Luxury Cars - The Pontiac Lemans

I have to say I don't understand the design aesthetics of a lot of American cars made in the 70's? In the 60's they went with a clean more angular look and then they decided you need to add a beak and have the fenders bulge out in the front. That kind of front end styling always reminds of the Star Trek TNG era Romulan Bird of Prey.

Always been a poncho fan. When I had my Mach 1 a buddy had a 70 Grand Prix with the 428, I think. It was fast and comfy.
My first car was a 1970 GP Model J, 400-4 barrel. Big frog in a small pond, but it won more races than it lost. It was like riding a couch at 130.

Like this one, but with a white 2/3 vinyl top.

1970 GP Black.jpg

When I was growing up/ teenage street racer days one would not be caught dead in a 1973+ american car! Gm ruined the look of the 72 and older cars,low compression smog dogs and 2.xx gears in the axles.
I used to have a ‘70 Lemans Sport convertible with the 400... blue with a white top and white interior. Now have a ‘69 Skylark GS 350

View attachment 54106View attachment 54104
My first girlfriend had a 69 Lemans. 350/400 and pretty steep rear gears for a Lemans. 3something. I want to say 3.42 ratio but I may be off. It had get up and go.

In my opinion, 1968 was the peak year for personal luxury cars. If it’s personal luxury, it has to be large.
#1: 1968 Pontiac Grand Prix
#2: 1968 Buick Riviera
#3: 1968 Pontiac Bonneville Coupe
#4: 1968 Buick Wildcat Coupe
#5: 1968 Ford Galaxy 500 XL Fastback

I had a 77 Buick with 305 engine. It was very slow off the line and a top end of about 101 mph.
My first car (78 Caprice Classic) likely had that same exact motor - with a two-barrel carb. It wasn't the greatest, but for a 17 year old kid, it rocked! I can also proudly say that my first car had a V-8!

My first car (78 Caprice Classic) likely had that same exact motor - with a two-barrel carb. It wasn't the greatest, but for a 17 year old kid, it rocked! I can also proudly say that my first car had a V-8!

About 1983 I replaced the intake manifold and carb with a Edelbrock and Holley 4 barrel. Had a cardboard box filled with vacuum hoses after I was done and used a paperclip to attach the accelerator cable to the carb. It was still slow but didn't hesitate as much. My Buick was green exterior with a green vinyl interior. Similar to the Kojak mobile but a few years newer.

Back