Personal defence vs STD rounds

I shoot at the local indoor range where I am forced to purchase my ammo there. The last time they only had my 380ACP in PD. What is the major differences between these two types? Ed

When you go to court, you must say "Personal Defense" round and not hollow point. They'll convict you for the latter.

Typically the defense rounds have a hollow point designed to expand on impact, dealing more damage. Standard rounds are usually FMJ. I practice with defense rounds every once and a while, especially when purchasing a new gun that I intend to carry. Some guns are more ammo picky than others so I like to ensure the ammo I purchase, the gun will cycle it easily, and be accurate. When shooting just to get some range time in, I use standard ammo.

For my S&W Shield 9mm, I have Federal HST in the chamber when carrying.

The personal defense rounds (hollowpoint) are supposed to expand shortly after impact. The expansion serves 2 functions. First, the more it expands the more damage it is capable of inflicting. Secondly, and often not mentioned, expansion tends to stop the projectile from overpenetration. FMJ rounds have a tendency of going through an object and hitting another behind it. This is not ideal in a defensive situation, as you don't want an innocent bystander to be hit by the round that just exited the bad guy. Hollowpoints get a bad rap from the uninformed, but are much better in defensive scenarios.

It is a good idea to shoot what you plan on carrying, but that is often not possible, economically speaking. With the price of ammo skyrocketing, I'd suggest practicing with FMJ and carrying a hollowpoint that is at least similar in design, projectile weight, and powder charge. For example, I wouldn't want to practice with 9mm Remington 115gr FMJ and carry Federal HST 147gr +P. Main reason is the point-of-aim to point-of-impact relation of each of these 2 designs may differ and cause you to be wildly inaccurate when accuracy matters.

I personally do not carry SD rounds. I carry what I use. That's just me.
Several Reasons:
Good ol hardball will penetrate and get the job done in 9mm
I know they will work and feed in my firearm bc that's what I use.
In the almost statistically impossible situation that I use it. I am not using "man-killer"

Again..just me.

When you go to court, you must say "Personal Defense" round and not hollow point. They'll convict you for the latter.
Using what your local PD uses is always sound, legally. Or what you use to hunt with "I head a noise and so I grabbed my coyote/deer rifle/shotgun...", also doesn't sound bad to a jury. Much less so than "these g2 RIP rounds I saw mulching rotten watermelons on Gomer The Angry Patriot's youtube channel..."

I have never heard of a real documented case where that has happened. They have tried and failed to do that on several occasions. But once again I'd much rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.
Google "Mr Fish 10mm". They hung him out to dry based on the caliber he used. Go read up on it. It was one wild case.

I personally do not carry SD rounds. I carry what I use. That's just me.
Several Reasons:
Good ol hardball will penetrate and get the job done in 9mm
I know they will work and feed in my firearm bc that's what I use.
In the almost statistically impossible situation that I use it. I am not using "man-killer"

Again..just me.
"Your honor, I carry this pistol for self defense, and I want to carry it as responsibly as possible. That includes the ammunition. You will note that NYPD switched to Gold Dot hollowppoint ammunition from FMJ some years ago, to limit the potential of a bullet fired in self defense continuing on to damage people or property. They experienced a dramatic reduction in just these sorts of injuries the following year. When I read how one of the largest police departments in our country had taken steps to keep citizens safer, I too, wanted to use the same type of ammunition that they used in my best attempt to be a responsible citizen."

(Yes...google NYPD and this...)

Just remember to bring up the fact that police (who are humans like anyone else who has a right to protect themselves) can use "hollow points", but nobody else can without scrutiny. Double standard.

Google "Mr Fish 10mm". They hung him out to dry based on the caliber he used. Go read up on it. It was one wild case.
He had a public defender or his Attorney was :poop:. Any weapon not used by Law enforcement isn't just a super weapon. One reason I don't use a 9mm much they just are a one shot stopping gun. 30 years ago I had a friend that worked in a gun store. Dumb guy can in to rob them. The guy started unloading his 25 Auto in the store because they didn't move fast enough. There was a County Sherriff in the store he shot at the perp once he missed and his gun jammed. That's when the guy I knew hit him twice in the chest with yes a 10mm Colt. Nothing happened.

Besides this not answering the OP's question, this is pure "gun counter talk" and not based in any concrete legal framework. If the shooting was justified in the ways that Mr Ayoob describes in the video below, then the type of bullet used is going to be largely irrelevant. If you live in a state where the DA is going to put you through trial for a justified self-defense shooting then you really should just move to a state where that won't be a problem.

He had a public defender or his Attorney was :poop:. Any weapon not used by Law enforcement isn't just a super weapon. One reason I don't use a 9mm much they just are a one shot stopping gun. 30 years ago I had a friend that worked in a gun store. Dumb guy can in to rob them. The guy started unloading his 25 Auto in the store because they didn't move fast enough. There was a County Sherriff in the store he shot at the perp once he missed and his gun jammed. That's when the guy I knew hit him twice in the chest with yes a 10mm Colt. Nothing happened.
Handguns just poke holes until you get into longer barrel .44 and some. 357 stuff no magic.

Reminder to not use my Chinese steel core AK ammo until complete anarchy has taken over. Don’t want to be accused of using ”armor piercing” rounds.

Handguns just poke holes until you get into longer barrel .44 and some. 357 stuff no magic.
9mm, .40 Cal & .45 ACP are still very effective defense calibers. I have a .357 revolver that has only had magnum rounds shot out of it a hand full of times & prefer .38 Special rounds to be honest. Sold off my .41 Mag Revolver because the recoil was ridiculous.

9mm, .40 Cal & .45 ACP are still very effective defense calibers. I have a .357 revolver that has only had magnum rounds shot out of it a hand full of times & prefer .38 Special rounds to be honest. Sold off my .41 Mag Revolver because the recoil was ridiculous.
Yes they are, but tsc is not a wounding mechanism with them, just permanent crush cavity. Basically, they just poke holes. They dont really stop determined people very quickly unless you hit the CNS.

I fixed it for you.

Back