Personal Checks

My credit union provides checks for free, as in $0 for the checks, and $0 for shipping. Granted, they're fairly plain with the CU logo on them, and it takes 2-3 weeks to get them, but who really cares. Free.

I honestly think you're paying about $30 too much, and may need a different CU.
our CU does not charge the check ordering fee once a year for those with 60+; the rest of us, we do contribute :p

Unless I pay straight cash there are a dozen local places including my rent that only accept paper checks
Can you provide some examples?

I've never been in my life to any type of establishment that only accepts checks. I remember at the grocery store with my grandpa he would write a check when I was a kid. Not sure they do that anymore.

Last time I needed to write a check, I couldn't find my box of checks. That's how rarely I use them. My bank (Wells Fargo) offers a bill payment service. I give them the name, account number (or what you wanted printed on the memo line, like "For work on house at 555 Anystreet), and address as well as the amount. They cut a check and mail it to the address.

There are cheaper places to order checks, like Costco.

My CU charges for check printing, but since I only write 2-3 a year, I ask them to print me temporary checks in the branch, like they give you when opening an account, and they happily oblige when needed.

A lot of payees will take a "check" payment consisting of the account and routing numbers, and don't need a paper check at all.

I don't even see people writing checks and holding up the grocery checkout lines any more.

I honestly can’t remember paying for checks. We always bank with a place that provides them. Currently KeyBank. I do most everything online but still have to write probably 2 checks a month. I just tell KeyBank I need checks and I receive 200 in the mail in about a week. With online banking, direct deposit, and mobile deposit, I haven’t stepped foot in a branch in well over a year.

Bank of America gives me free checks. Nice, but in the last eight years I have only written 32 checks for taxes and license plates.

Can you provide some examples?

Mom and pop restaurants that don’t want to pay fees (more than I will list here)

The Organic Pantry close out store

One of the Asian bulk stores

The sleezy cheap gas station with mostly inop pumps from the 80’s

My human landlord

Also the municipality still requires checks unless you want to go there during a pandemic.

Most of the places above want cash only but if your local will take a check after it’s validated.

Many grocery stores still take a check and hand it right back after payment

When I’ve asked why these places stopped taking plastic most said it was too expensive, one place takes cards but charges a dollar and requires at least a $20 purchase.

Mom and pop restaurants that don’t want to pay fees (more than I will list here)

The Organic Pantry close out store

One of the Asian bulk stores

The sleezy cheap gas station with mostly inop pumps from the 80’s

My human landlord

Also the municipality still requires checks unless you want to go there during a pandemic.

Most of the places above want cash only but if your local will take a check after it’s validated.

Many grocery stores still take a check and hand it right back after payment

When I’ve asked why these places stopped taking plastic most said it was too expensive, one place takes cards but charges a dollar and requires at least a $20 purchase.
They just need to find new merchants for their credit card machines. IMO, they can’t afford not to have credit card machines. There’s a place next to my house that has the best breakfast burritos, I like to go there on Saturdays. A couple years ago they stopped taking cards and it was cash only. They had said the fees were too high. After 6 months or so, they started taking cards, and said business was too slow without taking cards.

I know I for sure wasn’t going there very often once they quit taking cards. I never have cash on me.

As someone who used to run a business, checks and cash are a hassle. Cash is open to theft and mistakes and it requires a trip to the bank both for deposit and for acquiring coins and paper for change. Nobody likes handling cash.

Checks require additional processing time and if you use a guarantee service (eCheck) it requires hardware and there is a processing fee associated with them. When everything is taken into consideration cards are the least hassle and the least risk of all the forms of payment. We would have liked to say "no cash" but about 1/3 of our customers paid in that form.

As someone who used to run a business, checks and cash are a hassle. Cash is open to theft and mistakes and it requires a trip to the bank both for deposit and for acquiring coins and paper for change. Nobody likes handling cash.

Checks require additional processing time and if you use a guarantee service (eCheck) it requires hardware and there is a processing fee associated with them. When everything is taken into consideration cards are the least hassle and the least risk of all the forms of payment. We would have liked to say "no cash" but about 1/3 of our customers paid in that form.
I never pay with cash. I don't even carry cash. I always use my debit card.
But, I have 2 monthly bills that require a check only.

A couple years ago they stopped taking cards and it was cash only. They had said the fees were too high. After 6 months or so, they started taking cards, and said business was too slow without

One of the restaurants that is basically cash only switched about 10 years ago, they have always been overly busy without anywhere to park, that said due to pandemic I haven’t been by recently to see now

I've used Styles Checks for quite a while. I'd purchased some in April, then found that my credit card had charges on it I hadn't made. Had to cancel it and get a new one. I called Styles to let them know, and the nice lady on the phone said, "That's okay, we'll ship your order. Call us back when you get the new card." So I did, and made sure to use them again last month.

Back