Performance Engine Oil Kaizen

“We actually have a 0W-0 in R&D right now,” added Kyle Fischer of Hot Shot’s Secret, Mt. Gilead, Ohio. “It looks like the consistency of water.”

Will there be -0 next ?

Good article, thanks. I'd like to try the GP-1 assembly gel next motor I do. When I was a kid I used Lubriplate, no issues, then I changed my philosophy to just regular engine oil for the bearings and for the cam/lifters the lube generally supplied with the camshaft manufacturer, also no issues. Last two (three?) engines I did I used Permatex 81950, again, no issues. The discussion on ring break in and the changes there due to material changes was also good.

“We actually have a 0W-0 in R&D right now,” added Kyle Fischer of Hot Shot’s Secret, Mt. Gilead, Ohio. “It looks like the consistency of water.”
idontwanttoliveonthisplanet.jpg

This feels so wrong..

Formulating a straight 0 grade oil is tricky. There's no room for error.

They mentioned Blud lubricants in the article. That oil is blended by High Performance Lubricants.

Overall, good article. I like it. Thanks for sharing.

What makes Blud $7/quart better, if anything, than HPL?

Formulating a straight 0 grade oil is tricky. There's no room for error.

They mentioned Blud lubricants in the article. That oil is blended by High Performance Lubricants.

Overall, good article. I like it. Thanks for sharing.
Was just about to say.. *paging @High Performance Lubricants

At least they aren't using that 0W-2 Motor Mud. 20W-50 has been called Motor Mud I seen it on here once, awhile back I don't remember.

So, what's going to be the application of 0W-0 (I always did wonder if they would make one. And here we are.. kind of thought they would at some point, I must be a genious..)

So, what's going to be the application of 0W-0
Door hinge and sewing machine lubricant, lol. Extrapolate what they say about 0W-16 and 0W-20 to the 0W-0. :D "High film strength" means the oil is relying a lot on the AF/AW tribofilm than on the viscosity (which creates the film thickness between moving parts) to mitigate wear.

From the article:
"On one hand, the lubrication needs of passenger cars are being driven by ever-present pressures to increase fuel economy. One result of this trend is the formulation of thinner and thinner oils, with viscosity “down to dangerous levels if you aren’t using an oil with high film strength,” said Len Groom of AMSOIL, Superior, Wisconsin. It’s not uncommon to see manufacturers recommend multigrade oils with the winter weight in the single digits—or less. “When you’re talking about 0W-16 or 0W-20s, you need to really pay attention to what you’re doing so you don’t get bearing wear.”

Last edited:
Door hinge and sewing machine lubricant, lol. Extrapolate what they say about 0W-16 and 0W-20 to the 0W-0. :D

From the article:
"On one hand, the lubrication needs of passenger cars are being driven by ever-present pressures to increase fuel economy. One result of this trend is the formulation of thinner and thinner oils, with viscosity “down to dangerous levels if you aren’t using an oil with high film strength,” said Len Groom of AMSOIL, Superior, Wisconsin. It’s not uncommon to see manufacturers recommend multigrade oils with the winter weight in the single digits—or less. “When you’re talking about 0W-16 or 0W-20s, you need to really pay attention to what you’re doing so you don’t get bearing wear.”

Hair clippers

So then WD-40 does work as motor oil.
Why not, lol? Just don't take it to the track, do redline burn outs or put a brick on the gas pedal and allow it to bounce off the rev limiter. :oops: 😄

Last edited:
On another front, the American Petroleum Institute (API) recently drafted a new SP oil specification to help prevent low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI), which is “the tendency for a turbocharged engine to detonate at low rpm but high boost pressure,” Groom explained. “In order to get the mileage they’re looking for, [automakers] have to tune the timing and fuel map at a place where it gets close to detonating the piston. A properly formulated racing oil is going to have a tough time passing that spec due to the way oils are put together.”

I can solve LSPI in turbos without ever touching the oil formulation. Every single turbo that I know of (heck, the Chevy & Dodge superchargers, too) in the last 10-15 years has a computer-controlled wastegate, rather than just relying on suction and spring pressures. You simply have the wastegate limit boost to whatever testing showed was liveable (maybe 3-5psi?) up to 2500rpm or so, and voila! No more LSPI, no oil formulation changes.

Last edited:

What defines 0W-0? The SAE 0 grade doesn't exist, so is it just slightly thinner than SAE 8 or? That's the problem with some of this stuff. I remember one company was making a "0W-5" that actually would classify as a 0W-16 under the current grading system.

Back