perfect bike fit

My fit must be perfect because my hands, feet and behind all are uncomfortable on the bike. My theory is if just one point of contact is uncomfortable then the fit is wrong. Everything has to be comfortable or everything has to be uncomfortable to have a perfect bike fit.

I have not ridden for the last 5 years and have been riding for about 2 months now. I know as I get stronger and tougher some of the discomfort will go away.

I think that bike fit changes as a rider gets more fit.

If one goes to a real bike shop they will fit you to a bike based on your good anatomy or bad anatomy physical condition...the bike shop where we got our bikes will fit you to the bike, like handle bar height, seat height , pedal and leg set up and a seat that is comfy...and tire pressure is a biggie,,,many folks have no clue how important that is...I personally run 75 pounds for street riding,,,less resistance means less wasted energy on your part...

Tire width matters, too.

My wife is an avid rider and has three bikes. She hasn't ridden as much this year because of all the 90F days we've had and has gained a few pounds.
She got this bike used off Letgo a few months ago. It is a mans bike with a 53 cm frame. She is 5'8.5". She "rides the hoods"~hands on shifters on her Terry road bike.
Since these pics were taken, I put a shorter handlebar stem on it and she raised the seat post a little. Still not a perfect fit but she says it's okay. She has SPD pedals on her Terry and doesn't want them on this bike. If you look at her straddling the bike, this is why mens bikes don't fit women correctly. The stand over height is 30"3/4 inches and she has a 4" gap between her crotch and the top tube. Women have longer legs and a shorter torso.

rachel at cmh covid.JPG

rachel bike fitment.JPG

Not quite sure how often you are riding but I'd suggest you may have a fitment issue if after 2 months of riding you haven't adjusted to the current set up. Each manufacturer spec's are a little different. What are you currently riding? What size frame and do you know the geometry? Seat tube angle? Reach? Stack?

When I was in my teens (88-90's) I raced mountain bikes and loved it! Broke 2 GT frames throughout the years. I spent many years out of the mix and didn't ride. 2015 I got the bug out of nowhere and bought a 16 Trek Remedy. I've since built a few from frame up and ride often. Mountain and road and gravel. I've found fitment to be such a personal preference and approach mountain and road bikes in this way. I've found road bikes to be the most finicky. I'm 5"10 and have longish arms (73" middle finger to middle finger) legs and torso are relatively proportionate.

I fit most manufacturers 54 to 56cm frame bikes. I find myself cramped on most 54's and slightly extended on 56cm. Sure looks like a 55 would be the sweet spot for me. More on that to come. I prefer the larger frame 56 and a shorter stem. 56's tend to come with a 110 or 100 stem. I'm using a 90 stem and what a difference. Comfortable up high and in the drops. Leg position feels great. I wanted a gravel grinder I could easily use for short bikepacking trips riding on the hard pack dirt roads of North East Vermont. I also wanted this type of bike to be a hand down to my kids some day and last me a lifetime. I went custom frame titanium from Kish. After all the measurements and discussions.....I had a custom frame to build up. Build went well and the bike is truly amazing.

;)End of the day the custom Kish is about what a 55cm frame would be if offered by manufacturers as a standard size. Me being me, after thousands of miles I'm so accustomed to the 56cm I wish my 55 was a tad bigger;)

Back