Per-purchase inspection - issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a deal pending on a 2013 GM Duramax truck, and the mechanical inspection was just done. Just waiting to get the full written report, but verbally, I have learned there are two big issues:

- Rear differential: fluid is pitch black and full of shavings. Mechanic figures the differential will likely fail sooner rather than later, and that fixing that will run me about $4,000.

- Alternator low output: measured under 12 volts, 11.x volt (forgot the exact figure he said), so it is on it's way out. A $700 bill for that.

I have a $100 deposit with the seller. I am fairly confident he would return the money if I cancelled the purchase.

That said, should I even consider the truck anymore if he knocked the price down to offset these repairs? Waiting for the full report so I can further use any of the small issues found (if any) to use for bargaining if I go that route.

If he offsets it by the cost of the repairs, and has the repairs taken care of himself?

If I were selling, that would be my preferred route, as it ensures you are having the repairs done, and aren't just trying to pocket a $4,700 discount at my expense for repairs that you may need before you also sell the vehicle.

The alternator is on its way out, that's for sure. SO I would definitely would want to account for that in my offer.
The differential oil being black and having metal shavings in it, is not necessarily a sign of impending doom. Factory fills usually look like this. But I would still use it as a bargaining chip.

Perhaps people that owns this truck will chime in, or I would check this model specific forum to see if differentials are weak on this truck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
The alternator is on its way out, that's for sure. SO I would definitely would want to account for that in my offer.
The differential oil being black and having metal shavings in it, is not necessarily a sign of impending doom.

Yeah I doubt that the differential is in that terrible of shape unless the guy just flat out abused it by towing max or over weight loads.

As for the alternator, dont some newer cars have smart charging? Where they dont charge all the time like older cars?

The mechanic might be an idiot.

And dont expect the owner to lower the price $5000 for "repairs". He will likely tell you to stuff it.

I'd say the odds of the seller knocking off close to $5K are slim to none. He'll probably give you your money back and look for someone else to sell/stick it to. He might even tell you to stuff it as bubbatime said.^^ I'd probably pass either way, especially if the seller told me the truck was in great shape.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
The differential oil being black and having metal shavings in it, is not necessarily a sign of impending doom. Factory fills usually look like this. But I would still use it as a bargaining chip.

Perhaps people that owns this truck will chime in, or I would check this model specific forum to see if differentials are weak on this truck.

I called a GM dealer on the differential. They say this is definitely not normal for them to have fluid looking like that.

I know I definitely will not be taking the truck at the deal we reached pending inspection. And I do know there's a good chance he'll decline to knock more off.

But, he claims he did all the service, so if that's the case, he can take it to GM and get it done under warranty, and then it will just be the alternator to knock off the price (unless he agrees to fix that too out of pocket).

No way the seller will offer money off for repairs. They will just find someone else who doesn't bother to do an inspection. Also the diff is not failed--the mechanic is simply suspecting that it might in the future. Good luck getting someone to pay to repair something that isn't currently broken.

There comes a time to walk and this is the time.

Keep looking. Finding the right vehicle at a reasonable price is worth the effort.

I question their alternator test unless you knew if they had done the test with the idle higher in park, and/or if you know if this is one of those computer controlled alternators that doesn't always necessarily charge the battery.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
There comes a time to walk and this is the time.

Keep looking. Finding the right vehicle at a reasonable price is worth the effort.

+1.

Well, I have the full report in hand and contacted the seller.

Didn't bring price into the discussion yet, but said to him since there is still some warranty left, could he get it addressed by GM before we do the sale. He said he would do it, and keep me posted on the status.

Not holding my breath one way or another, for if it wasn't maintained, they won't cover it. We'll see where this goes, I guess, but if I find something else in the meantime, then I will definitely look into that instead.

I'll definitely be proceeding very cautiously.

Cut and run. Sounds like it was used for heavy work and not maintained. Even if those 2 issues you mentioned are taken care of, one has to wonder what other mechanical issues will occur in the future

Not so sure if it is this bad now. Owner has put me in touch directly with his mechanic, who feels there shouldn't be abnormal wear, and would also put it on the hoist for me.

Called the shop I had it taken too as well, and the second guy is backpedaling from what the first guy told me, and even spoke with the "tech" who looked at it - the shavings were simply "fine glitter" and he wanted to make sure he mentioned it to cover himself. No big bits. Diff fluid is also practically at the next OCI, so would be at its worst.

My first thought was that doesn't sound too bad. I can't blame the guy for not changing the rear diff. fluid on a 2013 vehicle. The alternator shouldn't be an issue either on that new of a truck. It's a good sign the owner is willing to take it in to have looked at. It may not be as bad as everyone is saying.

So the more I dig, the more I'm beginning to suspect the competence of the place I had it inspected.

Vehicle is just south of the city so I arranged a place that seemed to have good reviews to make it easier for the seller. Neither he nor I knew any better of this place.

He says both the dealership and independent mechanic he uses had an unfavourable reaction when they found out who did it. The shop apparently also s****ed over his indy mechanic on some money. His mechanic spoke directly to me, and while he only has paper records he can't easily search, he said that would be normal on the vehicle as long as it was fine particles and not chunks.

Then I called the shop I used and it was a different service advisor who delivered the doom and gloom. Spoke to the tech who sait it was "fine glitter" no big pieces, and the second guy says consistent with normal use. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

I also made a call to this place's competition. He would not bash them, but politely said different shops have different approaches. Went on to tell me he's been in business for a long time. His mechanic opened his own shop, and loyal customers followed him. Then he sold to another guy, those clients stayed there. Then the current guys bought it, and customers he hadn't seen in 30 years returned. This is probably where I should have gone.

I will now go Friday, seller will have his HD mechanic friend come over, we will pull the fill plug and look at the fluid together. If it looks good to me, then it's a go.

I've seen excellent reviews for car repair shops, restaurants, pizza places and have been less than impressed with some of them.

Just recently saw excellent reviews for two muffler shops. Which kind of make it a tough choice. But I take the reviews with a grain of salt. The first shop said I needed a new catalytic converter for $450 and that it's a real common issue for it to rust out in the front. Second shop said it needed a new gasket in front of the cat and would be $50 with a one year warranty. The second shop was also super busy with people. People were waiting in line when the shop opened on a Saturday morning. Kind of funny with all the noisy cars driving up to the place, oh and the name of the place is Affordable Muffler.

Does the price you can get this truck for reflect the potential issues it has and are you OK with having to put money into it? These are risks you have to assume when buying a 4yr old truck of this flavor IMO.

I'm questioning the initial inspection too. GM has some pretty intelligent charging technology on their gas engines, not sure if it carries over to diesels but if that alternator wasn't putting out 12v, the battery would be dead. With that, I also question the metal flakes in the diff. Pull the plug - pretty easy to verify with your own eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back