Peppers spotted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
tj - that's hilarious. I was too ashamed to admit that my drywall project grindings went into my pepper soil - then you come right out with it
smile.gif

I agree with you on the SEA (soil element analysis).

Too further address dickdog1 - I live in the PNW. Some folks here can't even grow peppers due to climate location. That was sort of the original point of my post.

Now they are hanging (cayenne):
 -

My youngest daughter strung a few up for me. First day in the sun and they are getting pruned up. It was a bit warm yesterday, low 80°'s.

The sun drying process is interesting. More leathery now (no spots
smile.gif
) My debate is what to do with them at night. Outside and mori would steal them/they would get dew condensate, so I bring them in. I figure 4 or 5 more days????

We've had great success over the years with tabasco peppers in this part of Virginia and nearby North Carolina. Given half a chance, the plants will produce little tabascos right up until first serious frost. We never have had to do any significant soil preparation for them. The only problem has been finding the plants or seeds; availability varies from year to year.

There are two caveats, though: (1) the tabasco pepper is in the same family, but a different species, from most other hot peppers, so what we've been able to do with tabascos might not necessarily apply to other types; and (2) all of the nightshade-related plants grow well here: potatoes, tomatoes, tomatillos, eggplant, bell (sweet) peppers. We had tasty oriental (skinny) eggplants coming out of our ears a few years ago, so this area is good for all that anyway.

To judge from the trashing of Tabasco brand hot sauce (McIlhenny) on another thread here in the Food forum, I assume it isn't politically correct to admit a preference for that particular sauce or, presumably, the peppers the sauce is made from. Presumably it's because every grocer carries the Tabasco brand sauces, so they seem "common". But I enjoy the sauce and the little tabascos anyway. So there, you elitists!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ekrampitzjr:

To judge from the trashing of Tabasco brand hot sauce (McIlhenny) on another thread here in the Food forum, I assume it isn't politically correct to admit a preference for that particular sauce or, presumably, the peppers the sauce is made from. Presumably it's because every grocer carries the Tabasco brand sauces, so they seem "common". But I enjoy the sauce and the little tabascos anyway. So there, you elitists!
grin.gif

It's better than nothing.

Continuation of last post, I got interrupted....

I would rate the standard Tabasco sauce as OK. Nothing seriously wrong with it, but if it was sitting on a shelf of sauces I knew nothing about, I would take a chance on something new.

The Tabasco Chipotle is actually pretty decent.

A little off subject, but, great with hot sauce; today I was in a local grocery store and they had some fresh made tortillia chips. We've made them before, but, not nearly as good. I asked them how they prepared the chips. The lady said they just fried them and added a litte season all when they were done.

Common misconception. Our summers are perfect. Rained last week, but now and through this week will be 70-75°F. But you are correct, peppers do like it pretty warm, so I have made a spot for them on a south facing wall,

Anybody here grow chile pequin peppers?

I grow two varieties, one that looks like peas until they turn red, and another that looks like 3/8" long Jalapenos. They make habaneros taste tame. I need to start them indoors in February though, and later transplant them outdoors into big pots. They take 200 days to produce. One plant can produce hundreds of nuclear nuggets.

Seeds are hard to come by in the Midwest. They grow wild in Mexico and southern Texas. Somehow a few peppers wound up in my shirt pocket when I returned from Mexico a few years back. The rest is history.

I keep a plant growing in my office. I occasionally snack on it. It's always interesting to see the reaction when somebody else decides to give one a try . . . .

You guys are killing me. My pepper crop is absolutely pathetic this year. I’ve got to jalapeños, 1 Serrano, two Fresno’s, and 3 bells. I have had exactly 2 bell peppers this year! I think two things contributed to my malfunctioning garden. 1 I planted mine using seed (first time I’ve done this), and 2, we had a heat spell during late July/early August that just decimated my garden. Can’t control for the heat too much, but next year I’m going back to nursery transplants.

Pablo isn't that what a chipotle is?

BigAl, if you find a legit source let me know. My dad used to grow those when I was a kid. Come to think of it, he also used to grow an Habanero-like sweet pepper (same shape, ripe orange color and distinct flavor without the heat). That's another I've looked for without success.

HEV, peppers did well, however tomatos are a different story this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back