Pepboys now has Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP and 5W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
While at Pep Boys today I noticed they now carry Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP (VW 507.00 rated) and Mobil 1 5W-40 Formula M which is MB 229.51 and BMW Long Life-04 certified oil. Only $6.99 per quart.

The 5W-30 is made in the EU and 5W-40 is made in the US.

According to the Lubrizol Relative Performance tool ( http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin/lubrizol/EOACEA2009/RP/PC/index.html ) the VW 507.00 oil is some of the best oil on the market so I picked up 5 quarts for my Hyundai...

img101.jpg

Good move, man. It is great that it costs the same as the older additive technology M1 oils. People have been paying a lot more than $6.99/qt. for it up until now, thanks to Pep Boys.

I'm a little confused how Mobil claims this oil meets ACEA A5 and A3. If I remember correctly A5 is for low viscosity long drain oils (HTHS <3.5). This oil has a HTHS of 3.58.

Originally Posted By: orlzx6r
I'm a little confused how Mobil claims this oil meets ACEA A5 and A3. If I remember correctly A5 is for low viscosity long drain oils (HTHS div>

"ACEA (Meets Engine Test Requirements): A5/B5"
But viscosity is to thick to meet them as you said.

Great find! Now just have to wait for Pep Boys to have a Mobil 1 oil change special and stock up. Our MB dealer charges about $7/qt for the 5w40 FM, which we use in both diesel MB's.

Still not sure if I would use either of these oils in gasoline engines in the US, as both MB and BMW do NOT recommend using their low-SAPS spec oils (229.51 & LL04) in gasoline cars in this country. MB stated something along the lines of these oils not being as compatible as originally thought with the high ethanol content in US gas.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Wow that's cheap. It's $11.05 per litre here.
To me even that is super cheap. It's 15,90€ = 22,58USD per litre here.

Originally Posted By: orlzx6r
I'm a little confused how Mobil claims this oil meets ACEA A5 and A3. If I remember correctly A5 is for low viscosity long drain oils (HTHS div>

It meets all the requirements of:

ACEA C2/C3, A3/B3/B4
API CF

It meets only the engine test requirements of:

ACEA A5/B5
API SL/SM

Does that make more sense?

Doesn't the ESP line have a lower TBN though??

any VOA's on this oil??

would the ESP 5w40 be in the same park as TDT??

Picked up 10 liters today. It's $6.99 a liter. The 5W-30 is a one liter bottle.

Meets MB 229.51, so will work in the 3.0L Jeep Diesel that I have.

Dealer wanted $12 a liter for the stuff.

Originally Posted By: roadman
Picked up 10 liters today. It's $6.99 a liter. The 5W-30 is a one liter bottle.

Meets MB 229.51, so will work in the 3.0L Jeep Diesel that I have.

Dealer wanted $12 a liter for the stuff.

Liters or quarts? The photo of the 5w30 in the top post says "1 L", is the 5w40 also in a 1-liter container?

Edit: the OP says "The 5W-30 is made in the EU and 5W-40 is made in the US." So that would explain why the 5w30 comes in a 1-liter container.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Niether of these Mobil 1 oils stocked at my local Pep Boys. Checked after work today. :~(

It's in their distribution system. Did you ask them to order some from the warehouse?

I called and they said they need a part number to order the Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 from their system. He said he could not find their part number for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back