PEP BOYS tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all,

I was checking out tires for my 08' Impala SS and noticed that at PEP BOYS tires are rated for about 300K. According to there website the bigger brands (at least some of them) don't offer anything more significant other that a higher price.

What do you think of these "Infinity" style tires???
My cars size is : 235 X 50 X 18's

No name brands are complete gamble. They can be decent however sometimes have excessive noise, poor wet traction or regular handling etc. They also may not last long. Remember warranty is pro rated and typically to get the same exact tire which may not be what you want.

Other times wonderful.

Roll the dice!

I had some PB Futuras that were made by cooper that were great. Look at a tire you're considering in person, get its DOT code, look it up online. They might use cheaper rubber than the name brand equivalent that "looks the same", but if it's 95% as good for 70% of the price that might be enough.

My only problems with store brand or any reasonably cheap tire is wet traction in their last 2/3 of life.
I suspect if I lived in L.A. I might not have any issues with cheaper tires.
If you plan on getting a lot of miles out of them, maybe spring the little bit extra for some thing like Uniroyal(Michelin's 2nd tier). If they put treadwear a high treadwear rating on them, you can bet they are going to go a long distance.
I had tiger paws that were probably 100k tires, and I think the hydroedges on the CRV may go that far too.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
No name brands are complete gamble. They can be decent however sometimes have excessive noise, poor wet traction or regular handling etc. They also may not last long. Remember warranty is pro rated and typically to get the same exact tire which may not be what you want.

Other times wonderful.

Roll the dice!

Many no-name brands are made by name brands.

I had a set of Pep Boys tires in college. Lasted longer and evenly compared to a name brand tire.... which back then I had Dunlop D60 A2, which were utter garbage. Probably the worst tire I had, 2nd place goes to Pirelli P6 4-seasons

There's also the Discount Tire Direct/America's Tire, etc option. There are tires with rebates available

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct...ca&fqs=true

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: madRiver

Other times wonderful.

Roll the dice!

Name brand tires (even expensive ones) can be a complete gamble as well. The Michelin Defenders on my 2011 Town and Country are noisy. They have a rough ride as well, regardless of inflation.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
My only problems with store brand or any reasonably cheap tire is wet traction in their last 2/3 of life.
If you plan on getting a lot of miles out of them, maybe spring the little bit extra for some thing like Uniroyal(Michelin's 2nd tier). If they put treadwear a high treadwear rating on them, you can bet they are going to go a long distance.
I had tiger paws that were probably 100k tires, and I think the hydroedges on the CRV may go that far too.
I have a set of Uniroyals which are wearing far longer than I expected, and have been good in foul weather.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Ive had there at tires and now mud tires.made in usa

Aren't the Definity Dakota MTs made by Cooper?

I think the Flintstones got 300K out of a set of tires. Well unless one of them cracked and broke apart.
smile.gif

My Michelin's on my truck are over 50K now and still good for ~20K. I think if you research you may find most house brands are made by the same manufacturers. Sort of like oil filters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I have a set of Uniroyals which are wearing far longer than I expected, and have been good in foul weather.

Mine were OEM on my 03 Tracker, so perhaps "special" ones for fuel economy, but they were OK for the first couple years, but then became scary on old wet pavement.
The hydroedges seem to be quite good in the wet still, just very noisy and rough running overall.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

I see a Definity HP200 tire rated at 30,000 not 300,000. What are you looking at?

So sorry! I meant 30K rated according to there website.

For sure I don't want Goodyear. The RSA versions are priced at about $265 each and that's way outta my pocket book.

I also saw they had Cooper tires as well so that's not a bad price for my money.

Durango

If you're going to Pep Boys, I'd suggest the Hankook S1 noble2. My second choice would be the Falken Ziex ZE329 (it's a Pep Boys only model, but wasn't always exclusive to them). My third choice would be the Cooper Zeon RS3A.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
If you're going to Pep Boys, I'd suggest the Hankook S1 noble2. My second choice would be the Falken Ziex ZE329 (it's a Pep Boys only model, but wasn't always exclusive to them). My third choice would be the Cooper Zeon RS3A.

slacktide_bitog,

I saw those brands on the website as well. I heard those brands has better side-wall protection compared to the others.

I took a better look at my tires condition and it turns out I'm about 3/16" before the tread bars starts to show so perhaps I'm panicking a bit on the purchase.

Still though these are the original OEM's since I bought my car back in 09'.

Durango

I almost bought PB tires a few years ago for one of the vehicles I was going to let go. They were out of my size.

On my current DD I almost bought the Arizonian Silver Edition tires which were/are DT's house brand (I think) but ended getting Michelin Defenders.

Years ago I did buy Western Auto (gone now) house brand tires and drove probably near 2 years no issues.

Errtt,

Thank you for your posting. What my real issue is that since my tires appear to be about 8 years old I was getting worried about how these will take on a road trip to Arizona towards the end of the year with a buddy.

Currently I have about 40K on these tires and I just don't want another tire denigration issue on the highway traveling at 70 MPH.

Since these tires OEM are so expensive retail wise I've taken super care of these since bought new. They don't look to be dry rotted in anyway not to mean that's a good sign of it's condition.

What really matters is if and when I'm ready for whom ever I go to for tires they can handle the tire pressure sensors and give me a good wheel alignment. Otherwise I may just have the dealership do it for me but they use premium brand and I don't know if I need tires that good of a grade. Especially a car that going on 7 years. After all I don't hot rod this car despite it's SS badging and I've never driven faster than the speed limit allows.

Durango

So you say you have tread left before the wear bars. What's wrong with the tires you have? Don't they balance? Are they cracked on the sidewall near the rim? Are they worn unevenly? Do they ride OK?

You're going from SoCal to Arizona. Not a long trip ... If you are going to Flagstaff in the winter (or Jerome) maybe switch to a better all season M+S or something... But Scottsdale or Phoenix, just watch your tire pressures, drive your car and enjoy the trip
smile.gif

BrocLuno,

I'm getting close to the tread bars. It's age is more than the mileage I put on them. Isn't or wasn't there a certain amount of years it was recommended to have ones tires replaced despite the tread? I had thought it was about 6 years. Remember the Firestone tire issue?

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back