Pep Boys has Castrol Edge. What is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pep Boys is big enough that they can have just about any manufacturer produce materials labeled just for them. BP owns the worldwide rights to the Castrol Edge name, so they can use it anywhere although it may be a completely different product than BP's European Castrol Edge. It probably is a different product, thus the North American restriction on the label. Does the label say much about meeting the European ACEA standards or just the U.S. ILSAC and API standards?

The M1 oil filters and the K&N oil filters are all Champ Labs, aren't they? Neither ExxonMobil nor K&N makes oil filters.

RE: Edge:
It's been awhile since I've regularly visited this site. But if my memory serves me correctly, we went thru a bit of a concern when we had 2 types of Castrol 0W30 a few years ago. One, "Not for sale outside North America" the other said "Made in West Germany"..Castrol Green(?)... same as we see on the bottles today. Used oil analasis at the time showed that the "not for sale outside North America" appeared to be "inferior". We speculated at the time, the "not for sale outside N. America" did not meet European auto requirements. Thus, causing me to be causious of Castrol products Not for sale outside North America. :)

Edge is huge in Australia. 0W40, 10W60, 5W30 and a 25W50 which is the only mineral of the lot. The others PAO and Group 3. Apparently its the german one people are really after.

Last edited:
Edge is goooooood

better than M1

is is basicaly the same as GC but GC ,,, for what i see if top of line...

for $49...???
you [censored] LOL... you have the best oil in the world at half the price we here...

we pay 100 euros for a edge 0W30 = SLX Professional = (legacy) TXT Softec plus 5W30 = GC

just kidding

i always saw the GC is strangly very cheap

best i can ATM is 83euro to the 0W30 and less couple of bucks to the 5W30 (4L)

here most workshops are dumb and recomend grade 10W40 which is cheap... semi-synth
so the ..W30 which is very rare... is charged more expensive

Cheers (not Shear's) ;P

The 0w-30 that predated GC was not a Euro blend oil. Basicly all the oils sold in NA are labeled not for sale outside NA, even GC. Maybe the same oil as sold elsewhere, but there are probally a fw reaons it's not for sale outside NA, the quart container for one.

Originally Posted By: vxcalais
Edge is huge in Australia. 0W40, 10W60, 5W30 and a 25W50 which is the only mineral of the lot. The others PAO and Group 3. Apparently its the german one people are really after.

There were some previous posts about Castrol Edge from Australia being compared to the now discontinued Castrol Start Up(green bottle) here in the U.S. I remember the Start Up being available about a year or two ago. I also purchaced some from the discount shelves at Advance Auto for about .95c/qt. The Start Up came in a wide variety of grades, 5W30, 10W30, 10W40 etc.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

There were some previous posts about Castrol Edge from Australia being compared to the now discontinued Castrol Start Up(green bottle) here in the U.S.

Nope, 'Start Up' would equate to 'Magnatec'

Castrol are rationalising their product names worldwide.

Originally Posted By: tdi-rick
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

There were some previous posts about Castrol Edge from Australia being compared to the now discontinued Castrol Start Up(green bottle) here in the U.S.

Nope, 'Start Up' would equate to 'Magnatec'

Castrol are rationalising their product names worldwide.

Aaah Yes,
I remember now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back