Pep Boys Definity all season with 75000 mi on them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so almost 4 yrs ago I put 4 new pep boys tires on my BMW X5. At 104000 miles. I turned 180000 mile today and those tires passed state inspection and have about 10000 miles left. I rotate every 7000 miles and keep tire pressure at specs.
Is this normal. All 4 tires were under $500 with road hazard. Brand names are $700 to $1000. The definity are quiet and smooth riding.
Why would one buy a brand name tire?

What was the starting tread depth, and what is their current depth now?

That's good ROI right there. I paid $294 for my Sumic GTA tires for my SL2 and at 27k so far look fantastic. These tires are tops in my book for the $$$

I do 5k rotations

Originally Posted By: supton
What was the starting tread depth, and what is their current depth now?

I'm at 5/32 now. 3/32 is failing. I don't know what they were when new.

What model Definity tire? Is it a regular passenger car type tire? Or is it a truck tire (AT/MT/HT, etc)

Most regular passenger car tires start with 10/32

Name brand tires can have better handling and ride while still lasting the same mileage if not more.

Also, highway miles are easier on tires than city miles. And driving 20k a year it's probably mostly highway, right?

Anyway, glad to hear a Definity success story. Have you had any other problems with your BMW in the last 75k? What's the reliability like?

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
If you can afford a BMW, you can afford Michelin tires ....

Well... that's why I can afford a BMW with... cough 180000 mile on it. I am frugal and thrifty. And want value for my money. I am your typical millionaire next door hot shot.
Most of my clothes are 10 yrs old... I do have a $5000 suit though for special occasions and I got that at 50% off. I make more money sleeping than most middle class people do working. And as a retired guy I have a part time job at my local Ford dealer for spending money.
You wouldn't waste money would you? The answer is obvious if you somehow degrade a no name product that delivers the goods for significantly less than those products that make the NFL or two and a half men possible. Maybe you would like some investment advice?
Sorry the rest of you had to witness me slapping down the little b I o T c h.

I can't believe the mileage some of you guys get out your tyres. 75,000 miles, that's about 120,000km, insane! I'm happy to get 50,000km, or about 30,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
What model Definity tire? Is it a regular passenger car type tire? Or is it a truck tire (AT/MT/HT, etc)

Most regular passenger car tires start with 10/32

Name brand tires can have better handling and ride while still lasting the same mileage if not more.

Also, highway miles are easier on tires than city miles. And driving 20k a year it's probably mostly highway, right?

Anyway, glad to hear a Definity success story. Have you had any other problems with your BMW in the last 75k? What's the reliability like?

Half hi way half city. Miles are miles. They are whatever would be the all season tires replacements that came with the car when new. As to the reliability of the BMW. It's a 2002. I have gone at least a week, once, without some relay issue or engine code
.. LOL. That's an exageration. Nothing major just a lot of annoying stuff. That being said I love the car. It's like brand new. No rattles. Well made "tractor" of a car.
And those tires!

Originally Posted By: hpb
I can't believe the mileage some of you guys get out your tyres. 75,000 miles, that's about 120,000km, insane! I'm happy to get 50,000km, or about 30,000 miles.

I always get high mileage out of my tires. The key is maintaining proper tire pressure and rotaing. I think anyone can get this kind of wear. My father in law only ran bias steel belted tires (back in the day) and he routinely got 60 to 70 thousand miles. With proper maintenance.

My Michelin HydroEdge tire's (which I hate) on my car now have 60,000 miles on them with 6/32 of tread left.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
If you can afford a BMW, you can afford Michelin tires ....

I just took a set of LTX's off of my Silverado that stunk. The biggest mistake (next to buying them) was not taking them off sooner.

How much you spend on something doesn't always assure quality.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Those are made by cooper I think

That's what they said when I bought them.

My point is mainly that; I am getting brand name mileage and performance as a name brand at much less $. I am not saying the national brands aren't good. My expectation 4 yrs ago was that these would last 40 to 50 thousand miles. I am pleased with these and I am kind of amazed. They exceeded my expectations.
Just want to share.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
My Michelin HydroEdge tire's (which I hate)

well, doesn't take a genius to figure that one out lol

Originally Posted By: evanautumn

What does Phoenix have to do with it?

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

I just took a set of LTX's off of my Silverado that stunk. The biggest mistake (next to buying them) was not taking them off sooner.

How much you spend on something doesn't always assure quality.

You havent had good luck with tires.

both highly recommended tires too
first the Firestone destination LE 2
now Michelin LTX??

HydroEdge + it doesn't rain there

HydroEdge + it doesn't rain there
The reason these tires were purchased was my aunt used to drive the car and bought them. They didn't have the Michelins she ordered online in stock when she showed up so they "upgraded" her to these at no extra charge. Treadlife is rated for 90k miles. The reason I hate these tires is because they are VERY loud on the freeway. I can't stand all the noise from them. 1 tire was replaced early in their life because of some sidewall damage. The replacement tire is weird, it's a different shade of color and happens to be the 1 tire that is cupped. You can visually see the flat spots on this tire. It's defective. When this tire is on the front, the car is basically undriveable due to the noise it makes. With that weird cupped tire upfront it makes the car sound like an airplane and I had it on the front last year on a 4,800 mile road trip hoping it would smooth out. It didn't at all. Last set of Michelin garbage tires I ever own.

Originally Posted By: GhostFlame
Originally Posted By: hpb

I always get high mileage out of my tires. The key is maintaining proper tire pressure and rotaing. I think anyone can get this kind of wear. My father in law only ran bias steel belted tires (back in the day) and he routinely got 60 to 70 thousand miles. With proper maintenance.

I take my hat off to you. I check pressures fortnightly, and run a couple of PSI above the recommended. I rotate and balance them every 10,000km. Can't remember ever getting more than 60,000km out of a set of tyres on any of my cars. My dad's 2008 Corolla, following the same regime, wears its tyres out in 40-50,000km. A wheel alignment is done each time a new set is fitted. Maybe the roads are much smoother in the US! Anyway, good to hear you've had such a good run from a bargain brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back