People's Opinion of Sumitomo Srixon (H) and HTR+ (ZR-W)

Status
Not open for further replies.
These tires seem to be both low budget and very popular.

Sumitomo is part of the Goodyear-Dunlop family somehow as i understand it.

One observation that is striking to me is the SIMILARITY between the Sumitomo Srixon and Dunlop Sport SPA2!!

The HTR+ looks like a ultra high performance but budget (vs. Michelin Sports, GY F1's etc) tire.

quote:

Originally posted by outrun:
These tires seem to be both low budget and very popular.

Sumitomo is part of the Goodyear-Dunlop family somehow as i understand it.

One observation that is striking to me is the SIMILARITY between the Sumitomo Srixon and Dunlop Sport SPA2!!

The HTR+ looks like a ultra high performance but budget (vs. Michelin Sports, GY F1's etc) tire.

My personal experience with the Sumitomo Srixon, noisy (louder than my Michilin snows) and poor traction in the wet and subpar handling for a "high" performance tire. Decent snow traction and price was extremely low. Thankfully I sold my car as I was not looking forward to putting them back on.

I have the Kumho ASX, which is a competitive tire with the HTR+ (price and performance class). I only have 1000 miles on mine, but so far they are great in wet and dry. Good ride, and low noise compared to my old General XP2000Z4 tires. Sidewalls maybe a little bit softer than the Generals, but still handles very well. If they give good treadlife, I'd say they offer good "bang-for-the-buck".

lots of people on tire rack reviews complain about noise with the sirxons.

I also could notfigure out if they were a real tire co or a middle man that had tires made for them under contract by other companies

I'd pay a few bucks more and get the newly designed Yokohama H4s. Just my preference. The reviews on the Sumi's are not stellar.

I have the srixon4's on my 94 Formula in the 245/50/16 size and its traction in strait line surprised me, I can nail it in first gear right in the thick of the torque curve 2500-3000 or so and if I have been driving for a few minutes or so and have warmed slightly they do not spin. I dont have MEGA power but ~400 flywheel torque (340 rwtq) is nothing to gawk at so traction wise they have worked great for me. I havent autocrossed with them or anything so laterally I dont feel I can say anything certain about them there, and I got them for 69 a peice and they have a 50000 mile warranty. I say they are pretty good so far...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back